PDA

View Full Version : RC model parts - which material to use?

Johan de Waal
03-05-2014, 2:03 PM
Hi everyone, tried searching but couldn't find anything spesific. I need to laser some custom designed parts for a radio control model (chassis parts) which needs to be rather tough but not to heavy. I used 3mm mdf for the prototype parts which works great but now need to laser it out of something a bit more durable and water resistant. Is there a material which you can recommend which is structurally very stabble and tough? Was thinking to use delrin (if i can get some here in SA) but wasn't sure of the finish or if there is perhaps something better i could try. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Johan

Dan Ashlin
03-05-2014, 3:22 PM
Delrin is what I was going to suggest. You can get it from McMaster Carr

Jerome Stanek
03-05-2014, 4:16 PM
Delrin is what I was going to suggest. You can get it from McMaster Carr

Does McMaster Carr ship to South Africa

Lee DeRaud
03-05-2014, 4:22 PM
Does McMaster Carr ship to South AfricaUnlikely, but any decent plastics supplier should have it. Might not be able to get "real" Delrin (that's a DuPont trademark), but they should have some equivalent generic acetal sheet.

Travis Wizniuk
03-05-2014, 4:55 PM
I make plane and quadcopter parts out of Aircraft ply or Baltic birch.. Both and magnitudes stronger than MDF and easy to cut with my laser. They also stand up to water much better (just not submerged for a long time).

Mike DeRegnaucourt
03-06-2014, 12:42 PM
As for waterproofing the Birch ply, you could always coat it in 5-minute epoxy. That is what we always used to fuel-proof the engine compartments and fuel tank compartments on our RC Planes.

John Coloccia
03-06-2014, 1:15 PM
What parts on what type of model? That's the most important question so guide you to an appropriate material. You say "chassis" so I'm assuming it's a car?

Johan de Waal
03-06-2014, 1:45 PM
Hi, yup, chassis for RC rock crawlers. There is a local RC crawler group who wants custom chassis and i would like to try designing and lasering a chassis that can withstand the forces of crawling while being light enough not to make the truck top heavy

What parts on what type of model? That's the most important question so guide you to an appropriate material. You say "chassis" so I'm assuming it's a car?