PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617 EVS Router Dead????????

Thomas Canfield
03-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I dropped my router yesterday from sawhorse height to grass in yard. The cord may have been pulled tight in process, but did not pull plug from outlet. Now it does not run. I checked the outlet and it is still good. I cannot get any continuity across cord ends in either on or off position, but then with the soft start switch I do not know what to expect. Any suggestions before taking to a shop? I am not familiar with the large item on the cord that says "Do Not Remove" and wonder if there is some strain relief inside. Could it possibly jus be some dust shook loose in the switch area and a good blowing would help?

Nelson Howe
03-05-2014, 12:30 PM
The switches on those are notoriously bad. I had to replace mine. Pretty easy cheap first step. Look at Amazon.

Nelson

Bill Huber
03-05-2014, 12:59 PM
The things on the cord are just to reduce noise on the line.

I would make sure it is unplugged and then remove the cover on the switch end and see what you can find, it could be a brush got stuck out. The switch could have got dust in it like Nelson said or it could be something else but the cover is real easy to take off and check things.

Mike Goetzke
03-05-2014, 1:46 PM
The things on the cord are just to reduce noise on the line.

I have taken those cord things off and they house one of those anti-theft devices.

Earl McLain
03-05-2014, 2:19 PM
I don't know the manufacture dates, but the early 1617's did have a switch issue (allowed sawdust to enter, eliminating contact), corrected in later manufacture. I'm told that Bosch will still replace the original style switch (send a new one) for those who call. I agree with Bill though, worth a look "under the hood".

John Lanciani
03-05-2014, 2:26 PM
I have taken those cord things off and they house one of those anti-theft devices.

+1. Just a holder for an RFID tag, not a ferrite. I remove them when I unpack any new tool that has one of the stupid things.

Dave Anthony
03-05-2014, 7:27 PM
I'd trouble shoot from the chord forward. Unplug the router and check continuity from the plug end of the chord to each on the inputs to the switch, if you don't have continuity the chord is bad. If the chord's OK, you check continuity from the plug end to the output connections of the switch with the switch on. If no continuity take the switch out & blow it out with compressed air or bang it on the bench a few times. When mine got clogged Bosch sent me a new one at no charge. The switch seems to clog more w/dust when used in a router table, but YMMV. If that doesn't do it you'll need to check the brushes, windings, electronics, etc. From your description, I'd suspect a bad chord, switch or connection. As others have said the black plastic Emtag thing is an anti-theft device, remove it & throw it away or leave it, doesn't really matter.

Bill Huber
03-05-2014, 7:49 PM

Mike you are correct, I just went out and took one of them off of my Bosch routers and your are correct, I would have never thought that is what it was, learn something every day....

Thomas Canfield
03-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks all. I'll check the switch in the morning. Router has been used mainly under router table, but was going to be used as plunge router to cut grooves in 8' board outside to avoid having to clean up shop to handle the length. Guess I will also remove the "glob" from the cord after finding out what it is.

Al Weber
03-06-2014, 8:19 AM
Mine died awhile back and a replacement switch from eReplacement parts arrived within a few days and fixed the problem. They seem to be problematic. Easy fix.

Doug Arndt
03-06-2014, 5:29 PM
I've had the switch go bad as well. First pull it out and test it, if not working contact Bosch for a replacement. While you're waiting, take the switch apart, clean and test again, likely you'll fix it.

Thomas Canfield
03-06-2014, 8:57 PM
Glad to report that after removing the back cover and blowing out the components, it worked fine. I did also remove the anti-theft device on the cord, and then wondered if maybe it should be left on for some codes if ever sent in for repair but then it is long out of warranty. I don't use my router hand held often, and the plunge with guide did a fast and excellent job cutting a couple of dados 8' long, with depth better guaranteed than using a dado blade on table saw with warped board.

Randy Rizzo
03-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Had the same thing happen, dropped it. Damaged the speed select. Would run in intermittent spurts if I played around with the speed dial. Sent it to Bosch for repair center in Addhison, IL