PDA

View Full Version : Super nova chuck

kevin nee
03-05-2014, 11:47 AM
I have a chance to buy a super nova chuck. When & why did they go to the super nova2
are jaws with the G3 compatible?

Dave Paine
03-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I have a friend who started with the G3 and later purchased a Super NOVA2 since it is beefier construction. I am not sure when Super NOVA2 was released.

Teknatool claim compatibility of the jaws.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/G3/Nova_G3_Chuck.htm

Roger Chandler
03-05-2014, 1:32 PM
The original super nova is a good chuck, I have one and the change to the supernova2's was just a design change where there is a polymer backing plate on it that keeps dust at bay. The scroll gears on both are very similar and both are very good chucks. The original supernova has a wrench similar to the Oneway Stronghold chuck..........the supernova2's have an allen wrench that slips into the socket on the pinion gear...........as I stated.......both are fine chucks.

You take compressed air and blow the orignial out when dust accumulates...........it will accumulate on the SN2 as well, just not as often and cleaning a SN2 is a good bit more involved...........so it is a tradeoff in design, in my opinion.

robert baccus
03-05-2014, 9:24 PM
Nova came out with the SN2 about 7-8 years ago--bought the first one I could (2). Still have an old #3 (24 years old) which had tommy bars. The SN2 has a geared down mechanism (pinion gear) with a hex key--much superior. It probably has 10 times ? the jaw pressure the old tommy bars had. I turn 100# + vases on a 2" screw ring chuck with no problems. It is quite sturdy. There are other good ones also. Actually the old original nova had a steel back.

Chip Sutherland
03-05-2014, 11:59 PM
I have a least one of each version. Never had a problem except the midi-chuck jaw slides would hit the spindle on my Jet 1442 on small thin pieces like finials. This was easily solved with a nylon spacer. I sold the 1442 and the midi-chuck is only used on my Jet Mini. Jaws are interchangeable as far as I can tell...although have never tried every combination on every model. I've bought into Nova chucks so unless I win the lottery I am not likely to buy anything better. If Oneway or Vicmark had been easily available at the time I might have gone that route. My Novas have never let me down.