PDA

View Full Version : A beginners first box...

David Coburn
03-05-2014, 8:36 AM
Well, I've turned into an addict... I work all day and turn all night... I've done 20 bowls of varying design (some wet some dry), a winged box, and this little box in the past 4 weeks... I haven't had this much fun in I can't remember when.... I may never build another piece of furniture in my life.. Ikea is starting to look pretty good (ha... that's still a joke, I'm not quite that far gone... :) )...

Anyway, I did this little box last night and it was a lot of fun and I'm kinda pleased with the way it turned out so I thought I would show it... Granted, it's nothing like most of you guys post but still, I did a few things here that were firsts for me and it turned out ok....

Again, I really appreciate all the help that I've gotten here over the past few weeks...

here's my little box.. I saw a youtube that did something very close to this.. That's where I got the idea.

Next, I think I'm gonna do a "Natural Edge Goblet".. I found a site with a pdf by a gentleman named Brian Clifford where he take you through the steps of doing a natural edge goblet from a tree branch. Looks pretty reasonable and like something that will stretch me a little but at the same time can handle..

cya,
david

Peter Blair
03-05-2014, 9:49 AM
Welcome to the Vortex David.
The little box looks really cool.
Natural edge goblets are pretty cool here's a shot of my first one.
After some guidance from Creekers I tried a second
I think I was way more sucessful as far as the way the whole piece flows.

Paul Engle
03-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Very nice David, it almost becomes a Compote . Glued up from flat boards? what woods did you use ?

David Coburn
03-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Pete,

All I can say is "Wow!!"... If my first goblet looks anything like either of those I'll be really happy. Can I ask a couple of questions?

1) Looks like you dyed the bottoms of the goblet section. Is that right? Also, maybe India Ink or something around the rim?? How do you get the dye to stay in the area that you want it to stay in?

2) When you glue the stem to the bottom of the goblet I assume that both the "upper cup" section of the stem and the very bottom of the goblet are completely unfinished so the glue (or whatever will take).. Is that correct?

3) Better yet, can you give me an understanding of how you attach the goblet to the stem, get no adhesive residue around the joint, and then get a good finish on both in that area?

Paul,
Thanks for the nice comment. Yes, it was actually a glue up that I had lying around from I don't know when.. It's composed of Walnut and Cherry.

This brings up another question for me... I see lots of thin stemmed goblets or vessels or natural edge goblets and it makes me wonder about the wood dryness of these as you turn them. The blank (for the vessel or goblet) is a block and for a natural edge piece it will most likely be wet... So do you just turn the vessel thin, turn the stem, then attach? Are we not worried about movement in the joint area (after gluing) since the vessel section was likely wet???

thanks for the response,
david

Roger Chandler
03-05-2014, 1:36 PM
Nicely done.......that is unique and good looking box......at the pace you are going, you will fill up the house in short order! Glad to hear you are having fun at turning......it is a bit addictive, isn't it!? ;)

Peter Blair
03-05-2014, 5:46 PM
Hi david, my comments are in caps.
pete,

all i can say is "wow!!"... If my first goblet looks anything like either of those i'll be really happy. Can i ask a couple of questions?

1) looks like you dyed the bottoms of the goblet section. BOTTOM AND STEM ARE DYED MAPLE, I USE BLACK LEATHER DYEIs that right? also, maybe india ink or something around the rim? THE RIM IS JUST THE NATURAL BARK? How do you get the dye to stay in the area that you want it to stay in? I JUST KIND OF BRUSH LIGHT COATS WERE I WANT THEM AND FEATHER THE DYE WITH A RATHER COURSE OLD BRUSH
2) when you glue the stem to the bottom of the goblet i assume that both the "upper cup" section of the stem and the very bottom of the goblet are completely unfinished so the glue (or whatever will take).. Is that correct?

3) better yet, can you give me an understanding of how you attach the goblet to the stem, get no adhesive residue around the joint, and then get a good finish on both in that area?I USUALLY JUST MAKE A SMALL TENON AND DRILL A HOLE THEN APPLY GLUE ONLY TO THE TENON.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP POSTING!

Good luck and be sure to keep posting!

Paul,
thanks for the nice comment. Yes, it was actually a glue up that i had lying around from i don't know when.. It's composed of walnut and cherry.

This brings up another question for me... I see lots of thin stemmed goblets or vessels or natural edge goblets and it makes me wonder about the wood dryness of these as you turn them. The blank (for the vessel or goblet) is a block and for a natural edge piece it will most likely be wet... So do you just turn the vessel thin, turn the stem, then attach? Are we not worried about movement in the joint area (after gluing) since the vessel section was likely wet???

Thanks for the response,
david

Marc Himes
03-05-2014, 5:53 PM
David this is a very nice box. I like the wood combination and it looks like you did a good job of laminating the different pieces together. Glad you are having fun.

Bill Hensley
03-05-2014, 6:07 PM
That's a very nice looking box. Looking forward to seeing your next clever creation. Keep up the good work.

Richard Madden
03-05-2014, 10:38 PM
That's a nice box, David. Welcome to the vortex, an believe me...it gets funner and funner..