PDA

View Full Version : KODAK 20"x30" prints

jack duren
06-19-2005, 11:48 AM
anybody ever done this online? have some old scanned family photos. would like to make framed pictures of them for the bar area. thx...jack

Frank Hagan
06-19-2005, 2:20 PM
Used to do it in a company I worked for ... but they were a different kind of picture! They were usually of accident scenes, injuries, etc. for courtroom use. Largest size we normally used was 30 x 40.

You get increased "grain" when you enlarge a photo, so the size of the original negative (or resolution of the digital file) will be a big factor in how well it looks. For some of the photos we had of accident scenes shot with a 35mm camera with 400 film, the picture could get pretty grainy. They looked OK from 6' away or more, but not close up. I'm not an expert on this, but evidently if the same picture was taken with a lower ASA film, the grain size would be smaller and the enlargement better.

So I guess it depends on where you're starting ... original print, or negative, or digital file.

John Hart
06-19-2005, 2:33 PM
Jack,

I've never done any quite that large, but if your scans are super high resolution, I would think that you could blow it up in Photoshop and clean any pixelization out of it using the air brush and the healing brush tools. I've taken some smaller pics and blown them up to 8X10 with pretty good success. Sounds lke a great project.

jack duren
06-19-2005, 4:01 PM
thx for the replies. ive got a few that were scanned with very high dpi. guess best answer for this is to just send one..jack

Aaron Koehl
06-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Jack,

I've never done any quite that large, but if your scans are super high resolution, I would think that you could blow it up in Photoshop and clean any pixelization out of it using the air brush and the healing brush tools. I've taken some smaller pics and blown them up to 8X10 with pretty good success. Sounds lke a great project.

My mother graduated from HS (many many) years ago, and like most graduates, had a number of graduation prints ordered. Over the years, she lost all of her high school prints, less one proof which we found stuck to an old box. Unfortunately, this sole photographic remnant was faded, torn, bent, and had molded in one corner. The old proof, being a proof, still had the photographer's text, and to complicate matters was only 2 inches in length.

The picture on the right is a scan of the original; the finished product was a full 8x10 sent to be printed (on the left). The photos attached were a work in progress before the print was fully reconstructed. (This was my first reconstruction). The enlargement and print turned out awesome, after some extra color tweaking.

Bill Lewis
06-20-2005, 5:42 AM
My mother graduated from HS (many many) years agoAaron, It couldn't have been THAT many years ago, her graduation picture is in color!

Good job on the restoration!

John Hart
06-20-2005, 6:07 AM
That looks really good Aaron! You say you did the work yourself? What software did you use?You did a very nice job on the blending of the background to eliminate the creases and text. That musta been hours of fun. I like doing it because it's so relaxing. Kinda like painting. Nice work!

Dave Brandt
06-20-2005, 6:42 AM
I had good luck blowing a couple of pics up at Kinkos. Actually, they did the work, not me. They were just pictures of our yard, but both came out really good. In fact, we're going to have them framed. Not grainy at all, at least from a normal viewing distance.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2005, 8:20 AM
We have a local drug store that also sells photography equipment and develops film. I had a portrait of my father taken during WWII. I was told it was originally taken as a black and white photo and then hand painted colors were added? Anyway it had deteriorated dramatically and my sisters and brother wanted copies. I took it to this drug store, they scanned it into a system, restored the color, took out a crease/tear and the new copies were better than the original and quite inexpensive. I've since had a computer built for my wife who is a hobbiest photographer/videographer. The Dell program that came with the computer does restorations like you did Aaron! Great work!

Aaron Koehl
06-20-2005, 9:48 AM
Aaron, It couldn't have been THAT many years ago, her graduation picture is in color!

Good job on the restoration!

That's true.. it's all about my frame of reference. I mean, Ken (or Keith :))-- now that's a whole different story. :D

Steven Wilson
06-20-2005, 9:53 AM
20x30 is very large and grain will be a huge problem. The 20x30 prints that I've made were all shot from either a 220 film camera (Kodachrome 25) with a 4x5 internegative made, or made with a 4x5 view camera. A 20x30 made a 35mm just plain looks bad. Now, if you're starting with a 3x5, 4x6, or 8x10 print and having it scanned they'll need to have a whole bunch of megapixels. I have a 5 MP camera and it's not bad printed at 8x10 but starts looking too grainy at 11x14 for my tastes - 20x30 would be in another league. What specs is the company quoting

Aaron Koehl
06-20-2005, 9:54 AM
That looks really good Aaron! You say you did the work yourself? What software did you use?You did a very nice job on the blending of the background to eliminate the creases and text. That musta been hours of fun. I like doing it because it's so relaxing. Kinda like painting. Nice work!

Thanks for the compliment. I used scanned it on an HP flatbed and did all of the editing in Adobe Photoshop 7 with a Wacom graphics tablet. I did it as a gift, so I wanted it to be just right. I spent a few days on it working on and off.

I used the Stamp tool almost entirely (which allows instant copying of nearby areas to match the colors and blending). The background doesn't play so well with the stamp tool because of the color gradients. In this case, I started with the stamp tool to cover up the tears, and then switched to randomly shaped cutouts with the Patch tool, which allows the color transitions to be less choppy.

Aaron Koehl
06-20-2005, 10:13 AM
We have a local drug store that also sells photography equipment and develops film. I had a portrait of my father taken during WWII. I was told it was originally taken as a black and white photo and then hand painted colors were added? Anyway it had deteriorated dramatically and my sisters and brother wanted copies. I took it to this drug store, they scanned it into a system, restored the color, took out a crease/tear and the new copies were better than the original and quite inexpensive. I've since had a computer built for my wife who is a hobbiest photographer/videographer. The Dell program that came with the computer does restorations like you did Aaron! Great work!

I have several color prints of my family taken in the early 80s and late 70s that have faded red over the years. These won't require any reconstruction, but quite a bit of color manipulation. Once I knock these out of the way, I have an old, dark (faded) tin type that will really be a challenge, as I plan to restore and colorize it.

Tim Morton
06-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the compliment. I used scanned it on an HP flatbed and did all of the editing in Adobe Photoshop 7 with a Wacom graphics tablet. I did it as a gift, so I wanted it to be just right. I spent a few days on it working on and off.

I used the Stamp tool almost entirely (which allows instant copying of nearby areas to match the colors and blending). The background doesn't play so well with the stamp tool because of the color gradients. In this case, I started with the stamp tool to cover up the tears, and then switched to randomly shaped cutouts with the Patch tool, which allows the color transitions to be less choppy.

Have you had a chance to play with the "healing brush" in Photoshop CS? If you do much retouching that is worth the cost of the upgrade in itself. its like the "rubber stamp" tool on steroids...no more problems with unexpected gradient missmatching that causes those dragging smears...

Aaron Koehl
06-20-2005, 1:48 PM
I do use the healing brush a bit, but I seem to have a faster workflow with a combination of other tools, producing just the right effect for me. It (the healing brush) is definitely a great tool, but I typically use it for smaller areas.

Michael Perata
06-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Jack

I think the "best" way to get a high quality 20"x30" enlargement of a a smaller print is to have it drum scanned. Unfortunately this is not a practical solution unless you have a big desktop computer. The file size will be in the realm of 70-100MB and it will choke most home desktops. I would use this for a very important print as it will generate the most detail.

I would suggest finding a local graphics shop and have them scan the image at 2,400x2,400 dpi non-interpolated. It will still generate a large file, but it will be managable with Photoshop Elements or CS2. Photoshop has the tool set to get the print to look right and to enlarge it without too much graininess.

Roy Wall
06-21-2005, 4:29 PM
Have you had a chance to play with the "healing brush" in Photoshop CS? If you do much retouching that is worth the cost of the upgrade in itself. its like the "rubber stamp" tool on steroids...no more problems with unexpected gradient missmatching that causes those dragging smears...

Tim,

PS 7.0 has the healing brush...... I've used it a bit for blemish and resto work....

I does pretty well fixing a "crease" in the photo.....overall a good tool---but I am far from an expert in PS........

Tim Morton
06-21-2005, 6:53 PM
Tim,

PS 7.0 has the healing brush...... I've used it a bit for blemish and resto work....

I does pretty well fixing a "crease" in the photo.....overall a good tool---but I am far from an expert in PS........

Yes, 7,o does have the healing brush....I use 6.0 and 7.0 and CS...got a little confused.

As for using a drum scan for a 20x30 from an 8x10 flat art, yes you might get a slightly better result, but that would depend on the print itself and the output device. I nmight even go as far as saying that it would be a waste of money 90% of the time. That is not to say that I think a person with a home scanner that cost $59 bucks at staples is going to complete with a drum scan, but you should be able to go and get a flatbed scan of the print for $20 bucks and have a file that is able to enlarge to 20x30.

John Hart
06-21-2005, 7:00 PM
...Or....if I may add Tim...Send it to me and I'll scan it and put the file on a flash drive or a CD for a dollar. (I really need the dollar):)

Lee DeRaud
06-21-2005, 8:29 PM
...Or....if I may add Tim...Send it to me and I'll scan it and put the file on a flash drive or a CD for a dollar. (I really need the dollar):)Hey, that works out great: you really need a dollar, and I really need a place where I can get a flash drive for a dollar!:cool:

John Hart
06-21-2005, 9:49 PM
Hey, that works out great: you really need a dollar, and I really need a place where I can get a flash drive for a dollar!:cool:

Oh....You thought that the flash drive was for keeps??? Sheesh...I'd have to charge another 50 cents for that!!! You must think I'm stupid! :D

Tim Morton
06-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Oh....You thought that the flash drive was for keeps??? Sheesh...I'd have to charge another 50 cents for that!!! You must think I'm stupid! :D

*LOL*...I remember the day when a jazz drive disk cost $100 bucks....for a gig. Those were the bad old days. now 4 gigs on a dvd costs 30cents.

Alden Miller
06-22-2005, 4:08 PM
Jack, I have had good success getting 20" x 30" prints from ofoto. I have three of them here at work and get many compliments on them. One of them was from a two megapixel camera and the other two are from a four megapixel camera. They all came out fine.

-Alden