PDA

View Full Version : Pale Moon Browser...

Chuck Wintle
03-04-2014, 6:00 PM
Has anyone tried the Pale Moon browser yet? Its supposed to be an optimized version of Firefox.

Jim O'Dell
03-04-2014, 6:52 PM
Hadn't heard of that one. I use Waterfox, the 64 bit version of Firefox, on all 3 of the current computers and I'm very happy with it. I'll have to look to see if there is a 64 bit version of this one. Jim.

Jason Roehl
03-04-2014, 7:07 PM
Hadn't heard of that one. I use Waterfox, the 64 bit version of Firefox, on all 3 of the current computers and I'm very happy with it. I'll have to look to see if there is a 64 bit version of this one. Jim.

Hadn't yet heard of Waterfox, but I'm now, 2 minutes after reading your post, running it. Thanks!

Pat Barry
03-04-2014, 7:41 PM
Hadn't yet heard of Waterfox, but I'm now, 2 minutes after reading your post, running it. Thanks!Me also, thanks. Did do a double take though when I saw it was already at version 27.0.2 !

Jason Roehl
03-04-2014, 7:45 PM
Me also, thanks. Did do a double take though when I saw it was already at version 27.0.2 !

That looks to be a continuation of the Firefox version numbers, not starting fresh. Firefox is at the same version, I think.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-04-2014, 8:34 PM
I thought it was a new beer....

Tom Stenzel
03-04-2014, 10:17 PM
I checked the Blue Moon site, it won't run on my Athlon XP CPU.. They called my machine "museum grade". Pretty nervy, I'd say. It's not quite as old as my daughter and she just became a teenager!

Seamonkey is what I've been using, looks like it's staying put.

-Tom Stenzel

Pat Barry
03-04-2014, 10:25 PM
So I see with Waterfox the default search tool is Start Page by ixquick. Anyone know anything about this? They claim it is most private search engine. Not sure if I should be concerned or not with Start Page.

Here is what they claim:
"Startpage offers you Web search results from Google in complete privacy! When you search with Startpage, we remove all identifying information from your query and submit it anonymously to Google ourselves. We get the results and return them to you in total privacy.
Your IP address is never recorded, your visit is not logged, and no tracking cookies are placed on your browser. When it comes to protecting your privacy, Startpage runs the tightest ship on the Internet. Our outstanding privacy policy and thoughtful engineering give you great search results in total anonymity."

Harry Simms
03-04-2014, 10:41 PM
You don't have to install start page. Just don't check that box during install. I've used Waterfox for some time and like it.

Grant Wilkinson
03-05-2014, 7:44 AM
I've used Startpage for a couple of months. It works well, but I don't have the technical ability to actually know for sure that the privacy claim is true. I just duckduckgo, too, instead of google. Google's quest to take over the world is just a bit too creepy for me. :-)

Jim O'Dell
03-05-2014, 10:46 PM
I've never seen the Startpage part before. Guess I've been using it too long!! Doesn't show up on my updates. Glad some of you like Waterfox. Jim.