PDA

View Full Version : What's the minimum size for a comfortable woodshop?

Michael Yadfar
03-04-2014, 5:55 PM
I'm thinking about building a new shop using SIPs (structurally insulated panels). I know for a minimum size guys could tell me stuff like working out of a 10x6 shed, and for comfortable guys could tell me stuff like 40x40. But I need something where I would have space for my tools and equipment, with a degree of work space. But I would need something reasonable though, something that wouldn't blow my budget. Also to mention, this is for personal use, not commercial use. My equipment isn't too big and I don't have a whole lot to store. I would also be looking for something that can be movable via flatbed.

Garth Almgren
03-04-2014, 6:05 PM
I'm thinking that kind of depends on what equipment you have and what kind of work you're planning on doing...

I've got a 14x14 shop and have yet to get it set up enough to see if it'll be enough space for me (it better be, because that's what I've got). :)

Jim Matthews
03-04-2014, 6:11 PM
What's your heat source?

Bigger space, bigger gas bills.
I think a floor plan big enough to swing a full-sized sheet of plywood around
would be about ideal. (24 feet at the widest dimension, methinks.)

Bigger than that and it becomes a chore to keep it clean.

Look at Mike Pekovich's article in FWW about retrofitting a garage.
That's about the right size, in my opinion.

At least one large access door to get finished projects OUT.
Lots of windows, facing South to get free daylight.

Ceiling high enough to swing boards end for end (10 feet should be enough).
So large as you can heat or cool.

Go visit Bob Rozaieski in Swedesboro, NJ.
He'll get you started on the right path.

http://www.logancabinetshoppe.com/

Brian Tymchak
03-04-2014, 6:13 PM
Oh, that's a loaded question.... 10 different people will likely give you 20 different answers. I have 500 sq ft in the basement and would love to double that. I can't imagine there is any 1 right answer.This is pretty personal stuff depending on what you want to do and how you want to work. I think the better way is to answer the question for yourself by figuring out what tools/benches/cabinets you want to have 5 years from now, allow for some wood storage (both hardwoods and sheet goods), dust collection, room to move around comfortably. think about what kind of finishing space you need. I figure most everyone adapts their needs to their available space (like I have) and budget.

If you have the luxury of building a new shop to whatever dimensions you desire, I am truly envious of you. The rule of thumb with shops is that you will always find a need for more space than you have, unless of course you have a shop of truly monstrous dimensions, which to me would be 2000+ sq ft. Then, ;), maybe you have enough space.

There have been lots of threads here on SMC about what to have in new shops. Search for some of those and you might get some good ideas.

Yonak Hawkins
03-04-2014, 6:14 PM
It also depends on how much wood you have and if you intend to store it inside the shop.

Michael Yadfar
03-04-2014, 6:15 PM
Go visit Bob Rozaieski in Swedesboro, NJ.
He'll get you started on the right path.

http://www.logancabinetshoppe.com/

I actually bought my jointer from a guy in Swedesboro NJ. His name wasn't bob though...

Michael Yadfar
03-04-2014, 6:19 PM
Yea now I really see where the many different answers will come in... Part of the problem was I said comfort; a guys shop is always too small. I guess I should rephrase to minimum size of workable space. Money's not really an issue here, I just need something reasonable in size, I guess maybe in the range of a good sized shed

Peter Kelly
03-04-2014, 6:49 PM
I often wish my 14' x 28' shop were a bit wider. I would have like to have gone with a combination sliding saw/shaper/jointer/planer but those machines dictate a more square than rectangular work envelope.

Jeff Duncan
03-04-2014, 7:06 PM
I don't know except to say bigger:D, but this guys is pretty cool...http://www.youtube.com/user/urbanTrash?feature=watch

If for some reason the link doesn't work check out Frank Howarth on youtube and watch his shop get built. Of course once you watch that you'll want a few extra minutes/hours to check out his other videos….must see for anyone remotely interested in woodworking!

good luck,
JeffD

Pat Barry
03-04-2014, 7:10 PM
Yea now I really see where the many different answers will come in... Part of the problem was I said comfort; a guys shop is always too small. I guess I should rephrase to minimum size of workable space. Money's not really an issue here, I just need something reasonable in size, I guess maybe in the range of a good sized shed
My idea of comfort would include a confortable couch or LaZBoy recliner, a well stocked fridge, a big screen (not so big - 42 inch ought to do it) TV, a nice heater, table saw with outfeed table, a bandsaw, a planer, a jointer, about 4 workbenches, a drill press, and about a 10 x 10 open space for building projects.

Michael Yadfar
03-04-2014, 7:25 PM
My idea of comfort would include a confortable couch or LaZBoy recliner, a well stocked fridge, a big screen (not so big - 42 inch ought to do it) TV, a nice heater, table saw with outfeed table, a bandsaw, a planer, a jointer, about 4 workbenches, a drill press, and about a 10 x 10 open space for building projects.

I feel the same way but unfortunately this has to be reality. My dream shop would be somewhat of a combination of a man cave and woodshop too

Art Mann
03-04-2014, 7:25 PM
My shop is 24 X 28 and seems a little small at times for my equipment set. If I were building today, I would go with 24 X 36. It all depends on your equipment set, storage and working room requirements. Grizzly has an on line tool that will let you graphically model a shop with correctly scaled tools and floor dimensions you choose. Of course, you will have to pretend all your tools are Grizzly brand but that isn't much of a limitation. I think that might give you a better idea of how much square footage to build. Here is a link: https://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

Jim Barstow
03-04-2014, 7:39 PM
Doesn't sound like it would be possible since you want it moveable but one of the best things about my shop (25x15) is that there is a full basement. There is a bunch of mechanical stuff for the house so only about 1/2 of it is usable for shop functions. Even so, the dust collector and all duct work runs alone the ceiling and pops through the floor right at the target machine. I also store jigs and equipment that I don't use that often. I actually toying with the idea of closing off a section and turning it into a metal shop.

Mark Draper
03-04-2014, 7:44 PM
I know it may sound silly but I made scale size cutouts of the tools I wanted to end up with then considered the amount of space you need to push material through them. For example a table saw with a 50" fence will require 34 feet to run a 16' board through and if you want to cut an 8' panel down to 94"with the panel to the left of the blade you will need 158" of width and 9' of run at least. A jointer needs a long clear area and your cutoff saw should all be close to the middle for trimming the ends off those long pieces. Drill press, band saw, sanders are pretty flexible. Try and set up a milling area and an assembly area so you still have use of your saws while your project is not on your outfeed table. I have a 32 x 40 shop with a 8 x 14' area inside that for an office and a bathroom and 9' high ceiling. I wouldn't want to heat any more than that. I did run a dust collector line in the floor and stubbed up under my tablesaw and cutoff saw.

Michael Yadfar
03-04-2014, 7:50 PM
Something I considered was having portability to my machines; pile them up on one side and have a side open on the other to wheel them over to. I'm sure it will be a pain in the ass but I can see it working. The reason I want this shop to be capable of being moved by flatbed is that I hate to sit down and build a really nice shop only to leave it behind. The shop I'm talking about building here may be a bit small, but I would definitely insulate it well and use choice materials

Peter Quinn
03-04-2014, 8:38 PM
I don't know except to say bigger:D, but this guys is pretty cool...http://www.youtube.com/user/urbanTrash?feature=watch

If for some reason the link doesn't work check out Frank Howarth on youtube and watch his shop get built. Of course once you watch that you'll want a few extra minutes/hours to check out his other videos….must see for anyone remotely interested in woodworking!

good luck,
JeffD

LOL, I was thinking before even reading this post just based on title.....1500SF For a 1-3 person shop, 10' ceilings, plenty of natural light, good insulation, heat. Thats my mental minimum "comfortable" shop size. And I mean comfortable in a very comfortable sense. And that set up is almost that to a tee! Does that mean you can't create things from wood in less space or in more adverse conditions? Surely not, I definitely do. I carved out 900SF of basement space with 7' ceilings and have recently added a 16X24 detached garage with 9' ceilings, biggest building the building dept would allow on my in town lot. So now my shop is in two separate locations...one below ground, one too small for a full shop. Comfortable? Almost. Choices? Stand with hands tied, wait for ship to come in, or work with what you have and make it happen. So I encourage you to develop a mental picture of your ideal shop, then begin where you are and make the best shop from what space and resources you have available. A rewarding shop space where you work may at the end of the day be more important than holding out for a comfortable shop.

PS, my last job was in a 25K SF shop in a a complex much larger than that, lots of machines, benches every where, guys would come in slack jawed , "Wow you have so much space..." if we had just sent out a job and cleaned the floor. But in full production, way too tight, wood everywhere, guys crawling on top of each other. You could barely move...in 25K SF! The work always seems to overtake the space.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-04-2014, 9:01 PM
The work always seems to overtake the space.

I completely agree, no matter the size. I think the key to a comfortable shop is getting the right quantity of things in it, but not too many.

I've had a 15x30, with very tall ceilings, a 30x30, a 24x24, and hopefully a much bigger 1500 sf (if I ever get to use it). The first one was great when I didn't have many tools, and surprisingly productive. The problem happened when the shop size went down. Too much stuff to comfortably fit, so it is just not fun to work in. If I planned on staying in the 24x24, I'd loose some stuff. I can imagine working in a shed size, with mostly handtools, quite happily.

Troy Turner
03-04-2014, 9:28 PM
Are your tools mobile or do you plan on making them that way? Only thing that doesn't move in my shop is the table saw and band saw. My pole barn in 18x14. I do know when we move and I build a shop, it's going to be 20x20. Everything I have will fit and it'll give me a little room to stretch out. May have room to put the d/c in to cut down on noise, or maybe make a small finishing room. Probably going to go with 9 or 10' ceilings because I have made a couple, not a lot, but a couple that were just under 8' so they'd fit in the house and trying to move those around with low ceiling woulda been a PITA.

I just saw a show on the SIPs. People were building houses out of them for the insulation/noise reduction. I think one for a shop would be pretty cool.

Jim Andrew
03-04-2014, 9:34 PM
I was talking woodworking shops with a guy I know, he said he built a wood floor in his, and I stopped by his house, and he showed me his shop, was about 8x8 and had a tablesaw in it. My shop is 26x66, and I hope I can get by with it. Just added a 14x26 room on to house the dc, air compressor, tire machine and lumber and plywood storage.

Wade Lippman
03-04-2014, 9:45 PM
I had 350sf before I moved and 500sf. The 350 was way too little, and I have room left over now. The old space was long and narrow, the new one is square; apparently square allows a much more efficient layout.

But obviously it depends on your tools. Do you have a lathe? A scroll saw? A radial arm saw? A 30" or 52" tablesaw? 5,000bf of wood, or just what you need for your next project? All these affect your space requirements.

Bob Falk
03-04-2014, 9:54 PM
I am adding a garage and shop to my house (my shop is currently in the basement). My shop will only be 20x24, but will have an 12' wide sliding door between the shop and garage (26x28), so I am hoping that my relatively small shop can expand to the second stall of the garage when needed. All my machinery are mobile.

Steve Gojevic
03-04-2014, 11:41 PM
If you really want to be able to flatbed it on public roads, then you will have to make it less than 8'6" wide, which is the max legal width in most places without going the "oversized load" way. If you are willing to pay the oversize load movers (following the flatbed with a specially marked vehicle, etc) then you might be able to go up to 12' or so in width, but it gets expensive fast if they have to move it far. Also, the construction of the shop building must be done so it can be picked up easily without damaging the building. Otherwise you have to pay the guys that reinforce it at pickup time. Making it movable puts a lot of constraints on the size and design of the building.

How about designing it so it splits into two pieces for moving so it doesn't have to be so narrow? (think double-wide mobile home)

Steve

Garth Almgren
03-05-2014, 12:00 AM
A converted shipping container (or two)? Very portable...

Steve Rozmiarek
03-05-2014, 12:06 AM
One of those job site office units might work too.

Jeff Erbele
03-05-2014, 6:35 AM
I don't think its possible to provide a reasonable answer without knowing which machines you plan on having in it and what type of woodworking you want to do. Whats comfortable for one person in their shop may very well be unacceptable to another.

Personally any shop that that could be moved on a flat bed would not fit my definition of comfortable. I would much rather remove the constraint, build what I want and if I had to move, sell it with the property, take the cash and build another one that fit my needs. It would be an opportunity to up, down or right size it from lessons learned in the last one. Plus the future property is unknown; if it already comes with a garage/shop, detached building, the size of the lot or if building codes would allow the portable shop. Previously I had a 24 x 24 and that worked but just barely, having to line the machinery up along the walls to allow parking for two vehicles. Presently I am building a 20 x 20 and a 20 x 30, 1,000 sq ft total; the maximum the city will allow on our lot. If I had my way it would be larger, or not have to share space with two vehicles and the yard & garden tools and machinery.

If you really want to save space, consider a universal machine like a Shop Smith or one of the better and more expensive European models.

The correct answer varies by person, the machinery and tools you want and the type of work you do. A cabinet shop or a shop with a slider is going to take much more space than a shop focused on smaller items like jewelry boxes, cutting boards, picture frames and knick knacks.

scott spencer
03-05-2014, 6:51 AM
I'm in a little under 1/2 of a two car garage (~ 11x17)....I get by, but it'd be very easy to utilize the space of the entire two car garage (~ 21x22), and still might feel a tad crowded. My router table is build into the right side TS wing, my workbench doubles as an outfeed table, the jointer is butted up tightly under the left side of the TS, I have a flip top cart for my planer and sander, and everything is on wheels. It's my 5th layout of this space, is about as efficient as I can think to make it, but it's still short on space.

Brian W Smith
03-05-2014, 7:05 AM
You'll figure out the size,I'm sure.It's a balance between heat/cooling,build cost,usability and taxes.

Reason for post however is not about sq ftg.It's about planning the outside of your shop.If at all possible,work with the grade and try to get a small "loading dock".It needs to be the height of an open,std PU truck tailgate.This can be one entrance,then your other point of access should be grade level.I could not live without ours.

Next is almost as cheap,just needs planning again.A shed roof extending off a side is a mighty handy thing.Design wise it can go on any side....meaning,this dosen't have to be an eyesore.To the point ours has a 4 member cornice with 5" crown(with Ivy growing around it no less).So while it can be put on the front and lokk really nice,think about putting it,out of site.Makes for really cheap overflow work area......and it's a nice place to pull a truck under after a machine or lumber run.

Next up is a spray booth.At least "plan" where you'd put one.Think general wind direction/patterns.This isn't going to change so it needs to be coverd early in the design phase.This "might" be where a DC could be housed.....and again consider prevailing wind direction.

The above,and theres a lot more that can be looked at,infrastructure-wise....is NOT a sq ftg thing.Its the sort of "stuff" that dramatically increases the working profile of a shop.Just don't cheap out on them though,because they're outside the envelope,everyone sees them first and is a metric of sorts to your professionalism.Ivy,bushes and shrubs are cheap,can screen things and can actually lower your yard chores.

Michael Yadfar
03-05-2014, 9:54 AM
What I may end up doing is building a shed that will work for now, and at least be an improvement to what I have. I'm a first year college student living at home. I have half my tools in a 9x16 shed and the other half in my garage. I really have no workspace, if I want to work I pull a car out of the garage and wheel stuff into the bay. If it's nice outside I will work on the driveway. My workbench is in the shed, and my tools are a Ridgid portable table saw, Makita 12" bench top planer, Jet 6" jointer on a wheel base, miter saw on a portable table, bench top drill press, a router table, and I may get a bench top bandsaw. I also have my various hand tools.

The reason why I don't sit down and build a nice big shop is because I really don't want to spend a lot on a building I will likely ditch in a few years. My parents have no interest in woodworking so it's not like they'le need a shop once I'm gone, and we have a two car garage and two sheds already so I doubt they will need the storage. That's why I plan to build something small enough to take with me when I move, because even though I may build a way better shop, you could always use the extra storage. I plan to insulate this shed so it will definitely cost me a few dollars. The reason I even need the extra space in the first place is because like I said I have no room to begin with. The 9x16 shed I have to use barely has enough room to store my tools and my dad doesn't want anything in the garage. The shed has bicycles, two dirtbikes, and outdoor sports equipment. I was originally thinking of putting up one of those metal sheds just to get the bikes and stuff out of the wood shed to make room for my tools in there, but rather then go cheap I thought it would be a good idea to put decent money into something I can keep myself. That's what inspired me with the idea to build a nice shed with insulation and stuff, I could just take it with me when I move, and like I said it wouldn't likely serve as my shop once I move, but it would be decent storage. In reality I don't know how good or bad this plan really is, but it's just what I thought up

I have been criticized on here before for not waiting until I'm in established to start a shop, but it's my hobby.

Peter Quinn
03-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I understand your predicament. I attempted to carve out a workspace in my parents home....garage, basement, shed, temporary tarp pole building. Always in somebody's way. Then I was a renter for many years after college, difficult to make decent work space in any of the rentals I had, then years in NYC. Perhaps your college, or a local community college, or a local woodworking school has a shop where you get or pay for shop privaleges? Then you can develop a small space for hand and finishing work, fitting, etc. Maybe a midi lathe in the garage, a small TS in a shed? Decentralized production . Honest fact is until you get your own place as an owner you're in a hard spot and options may be limited. It may be helpful to stay focused on the goal of making things and less focused on the goal of building a shop, then keep an open mind and ears open for opportunities. Once you have the right situation creating a comfortable work space will become infinitely more simple.

Mark Andrew
03-05-2014, 4:16 PM
I have a basement shop, 53 x 13. It's plenty long enough, but many's the time I've wished it were wider.

I also don't have my Delta long arm RAS (i.e. a huge one) in there, and I'm harboring a desire for a sliding table saw. But it won't be in this shop.

Bill Whig
03-05-2014, 5:52 PM
I'm thinking about building a new shop using SIPs (structurally insulated panels). I know for a minimum size guys could tell me stuff like working out of a 10x6 shed, and for comfortable guys could tell me stuff like 40x40. But I need something where I would have space for my tools and equipment, with a degree of work space. But I would need something reasonable though, something that wouldn't blow my budget. Also to mention, this is for personal use, not commercial use. My equipment isn't too big and I don't have a whole lot to store. I would also be looking for something that can be movable via flatbed.

Draw a 2-D picture (of the floor) with your stuff in it, and maybe even some materials in it too, and you'll be able to see. My 20' by 25' space seems smaller all the time...

Michael Yadfar
03-05-2014, 6:21 PM
A little off topic, but when I have my own house I can totally see my shop being bigger than the house. I'm sure if I get married my wife would have objections to that, but realistically if I lived on my own both my shop and barn would be bigger than my house. I can live in a 500 square foot house (I'm a very simple person), but my ideal shop is probably double that. If I had a barn too my barn would probably be about double my house too

Rob Damon
03-05-2014, 6:21 PM
Other things to consider:

How long do you plan on living in this location?
Short Term: Start small and see how it works and when you move adjust size accordingly.
Long Term: Consider next question.

How much future disposal income will you have?
Minimal: Just figure in the basic large tools (Tablesaw, SCMS, Drill press, Jointer, Planer) and plan for those and wood storage/assembly
Ample: Use the Grizzly planner noted above and select all the tools you think you might get in the next 20 years and size it based on that.

Also consider impulse buying:
Do you buy tools only as you need them? You may need less room
Do you buy, buy and buy (and qualify as a tool collector) You will need more room

You could also design the workshop for what you need now and locate it so it can easily be expanded with additions if your needs grow.

Rob

george newbury
03-05-2014, 6:40 PM
I have a shop in my basement in Virginia. It's about 15'x 15' at most. I've used it for 34 years. But during those 34 years I was usually on travel for the US Army at least one if not 2 weekends each month. I didn't get a lot done in that shop but could usually tackle any repair, maybe build a cabinet or a bed.

Now down in Mississippi we bought our retirement site.

I've got 5,500 sq ft of shops, one will be dedicated to the woodshop and it's about 30' x 60' with ceiling ranging from 10' down to 8.5'. But I'm not going to move my shops. And I would still like more.

For your case if you SERIOUSLY plan on moving it I would recommend you look at 20' long or 40' long shipping containers. You could put 2 20'ers together and have about 400 sq ft. If you got a 40' long HiCube you'd have a lot of space.

Myk Rian
03-05-2014, 8:12 PM
I have half of a 2 1/2 car garage. Not big enough. The whole thing would be just right, but my Wife won't park her car in a portable garage.

Robert Delhommer Sr
03-05-2014, 8:16 PM
I have a 20' x 20' and wish it were a little bigger. :)

Wayne Jolly
03-06-2014, 2:01 PM
First, I have to admit that I have not read all of the responses here, so I apologize if I repeat.

First, a couple of comments. You haven't said how old you are. I only mention that because if you are younger then it is quite likely that you will be adding equipment and supplies which would require more space down the road. If you are older, it may be possible that you may want to downsize. You also haven't said what kind of projects you are interested in. The smaller more personal projects require much less workspace than a room full of cabinetry, but preferences can change so, again, more or less space might be required later. And as for the ability to put it on a flatbed???? fugetaboutit.

When I first started, I kicked the wifes car out of our single car detached garage. This garage was small (maybe 12x18), old, kinda rickety, and I don't think I could put some of the cars I have since owned in there (a Dodge van comes to mind. No way in heck it would go in there). But it was fantastic! . . . for a couple of years. To make a long story somewhat shorter, I am now using a full 3-car garage that is about 22x32. When I got that space it was fantastic! Certainly fantasticer than the single car garage of days gone by. :D But guess what? I would like a little more room. Not a whole lot, but a 30x30 would be even fantasticer! If I did have 30x30, them I'm sure it would get too small and a larger shop would be the fantasticest of all . . . for a while.

But current space, I have some problems with the 3-car I have now. One is the ceiling height. Most of it is just over 8' so the fluorescent lights hang down just below 8' I have to be very careful to avoid them when moving lumber around. And there are large laminated beams that hang down to support the bedrooms located above, and a large pilar to support one corner. That dang pilar is ALWAYS in the way, and these beams lower the height to just about 7'.

Other problems are that there are no environment controls and it is un-insulated. So in the winter the shop is too cold (and here in northern Califorlornia that means in the 50's) and in the summer it is too hot (meaning 95+).

And then there is my son (the little . . . ). He is currently having a 30x40 shop built with 12' walls, and I have just been drooling over it.

After all this, all I am saying is that what is comfortable now most likely won't be for long so get as much as you can. A shop that took up a square mile might be a little too big, but just! :-)

X

Michael Yadfar
03-06-2014, 7:37 PM
First, a couple of comments. You haven't said how old you are. I only mention that because if you are younger then it is quite likely that you will be adding equipment and supplies which would require more space down the road. If you are older, it may be possible that you may want to downsize.
X

I believe I already explained my situation, but I don't blame you for not reading everything, I'm the same way. To answer your question, I'm 19 years old. Now I'll make it clear that I'm far from an expert, but I'm also not just some kid playing around with power tools. I took wood shop all 4 years of high school and had one of the best teachers around in my opinion. My junior year was actually the last of the complete hands one woodworking program; the state of Pennsylvania actually said we can't run that kind of program anymore. It shifted over to more of a design class (solid works, chief architect, CNC routers) with a limited amount of shop work my senior year. But in my years of woodworking there, I've worked with all the tools and built stuff like cutting boards, lamps; and I also built some advanced stuff like cabinets and counters.

Now my situation is I missed woodworking so much and needed a hobby so I went out and got woodworking equipment of my own. I already had almost every hand tool, but I bought stationary stuff like a 6" Jet jointer, Ridgid table saw, Black and Decker table top miter saw (already had), Craftsman drill press (already had), Makita 12" table top jointer, and mext on my list is a band saw and router table. Problem is I have no workspace of my own and my parents care nothing about woodworking, so I've split space between my 9X16 shed (which was packed to begin with), and my garage (which is packed and my parents keep their cars in there). I actually just got the boot on having my jointer in the garage :(

For a kid my age I'm actually somewhat rich because I work a lot and don't spend much money, so I can build a shop. Issue is that I don't want to drop big bucks and leave it behind when I move out in 3-4 years. So someone gave me the idea of building something shed like that I can move via flatbed when I move. Once I move, I would likely have a better shop, but there would still be much good purpose for an insulated shed. Question is though: is it even worth building something that may be too small? Realistically my "new shop" would fall in the range of 8x20-30

Matt Meiser
03-06-2014, 7:53 PM
8x20 sounds like a shipping container.

Tom M King
03-06-2014, 8:25 PM
Not necessarily this exact one, but you get the idea.

http://www.usacargotrailersales.com/virtuemart/8-8-5-wide/85x24-car-hauler-choose-from-6-colors-black-a-white-in-stock-now-detail.html

Greg Hines, MD
03-07-2014, 12:18 PM
That is quite a project. I am getting ready to build a shop soon, and like the idea of the electrical (or other mechanicals) chase that he put in at the bottom of the wood wall. I might just have to do that for the middle of my shop walls.

Doc

Rick Potter
03-07-2014, 3:15 PM
Not to pile on here, but shipping containers are in various sizes. 8X20, 8X25, and 8X40 are the most common. They seal up tight, and are made from rust resistant steel (salt water). Around here they go from $1500 to 2500, depending on size. The 40' is the most available and cheapest. Looking at CL, I find a couple places that specialize in adding roll up doors, windows, gable roofs, etc. I had a couple and it costs about $250-300 to have them moved locally.

Using your parameters of size, and portability, it sounds like a 25 footer with a few modifications may be an answer.

Michael Yadfar
03-07-2014, 5:09 PM
Not to pile on here, but shipping containers are in various sizes. 8X20, 8X25, and 8X40 are the most common. They seal up tight, and are made from rust resistant steel (salt water). Around here they go from $1500 to 2500, depending on size. The 40' is the most available and cheapest. Looking at CL, I find a couple places that specialize in adding roll up doors, windows, gable roofs, etc. I had a couple and it costs about $250-300 to have them moved locally.

Using your parameters of size, and portability, it sounds like a 25 footer with a few modifications may be an answer.

Shipping containers are a really cool idea, I know my uncles a big fan of them. My parents complained that they're too "unsightly" which is really the issue, but I've seen people dress them up and make them really nice. They do make a good shed. A properly built non-insulated wooden 8x7 shed I calculated to be $800, so if I go with my idea to build and 8x20 insulated shed I guess it would fall in the range of $3000. I would also have to take into consideration making it portable. The 8x16 shed I have now was brought to us by flatbed so I can use that as a model to base it off of I guess?

My real question with a shipping container is if it's already insulated or if you have to add insulation? I will still heavily consider them

Rick Potter
03-07-2014, 5:46 PM
wooden floor, no insulation.

Bill Space
03-07-2014, 5:57 PM
Hi,

I have visited this thread a number of times and resisted replying for whatever reason. Probably because I did not have a clear answer in my mind...

At the end of the day, I think it depends entirely on what tools you plan to put in the shop.

My shop is 16 x 40 plus a little, and I don't have room for any extra sawdust. So I think the answer for ME is 40 x 40 would be REALLY comfortable....

But if you have less tools, then less would work fine.

Look at the tools you have and what you may add in the future and you will find the answer that applies to your specific situation.

What we think does not really matter... It is all about your needs, not ours....

Jim Matthews
03-07-2014, 9:01 PM
I have been criticized on here before for not waiting until I'm in established to start a shop, but it's my hobby.

You're on the right track; get started.
I missed the aspect of where you were, on your parent's property.

http://www.philadelphiawoodworks.com/

Join the co-op nearest you.
You'll come out money ahead, and spend time making furniture instead of a temporary shelter.