PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about Dewalt 735X Planer

John Goodin
03-04-2014, 5:51 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a Dewalt 735 planer and was wondering about the infeed/outfeed table. Do they attach in a way that they fold up for storage similar to the Dewalt 734 or Ridgid 4331? Or do they have to be connected and disconnected every time I set up the machine for use. While it is a simple feature I am trying to decide whether or not the 735 it is worth the extra money over the Ridgid or Makita. I spent less time wondering if I should get married than pulling the trigger on a planer.

Martin Jodoin
03-04-2014, 6:08 PM
They fold up for storage. Buy the Dewalt you won't be dissapointed. :p

Brian Tymchak
03-04-2014, 6:20 PM
The outfeed doesn't fold up with the 4" adapter on the ejection port. I currently have my tables sitting on a shelf. I couldn't get them adjusted well enough to conquer the snipe. The planer though is wonderful.

Wade Lippman
03-04-2014, 6:34 PM
I kept them both up with a bungee cord, and got minimal snipe; I think the secret was to have them angle up a bit.

Before the Dewalt I had a Makita, and yeah, it is worth the price difference. The Makita is much lighter which is why I originally got it; but unless that is important to you, get the Dewalt.

Al Launier
03-04-2014, 6:46 PM
Yes, they both fold up, but as noted above the discharge port, especially with a 4' fitting added to it, prevents folding it upright.

As for the snipe, yes it does produce a very slight snipe if used without adjustment, at least mine did. I adjusted the tables to eliminate the snipe completely by raising each one .228" ($1 drill & #1 drill blank). I placed the drill & blank at each end of the bed & placed a 4" straight edge on top of them. Then adjusted each table upward until they just touched he straight edge. I actually got lucky the first try as I thought it would take several tries.

You'll really like the D735X that includes the spare set of blades along with the tables. I picked mine up at Rocklers & am very happy with it.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
03-04-2014, 9:09 PM
The 735 is a great planer. Check out factory authorized outlet for a good price.

Eric D Matson
03-05-2014, 9:56 AM
I have the 735 also. I will agree with everyone else as it is a great planer. I have the tables with mine. I achieved minimal snipe by adjusting the tables about a penny's thickness above the planer bed.

Jon Nuckles
03-05-2014, 1:13 PM
I owned the Delta years ago, and the DeWalt is much, much better. You won't regret spending a bit more for it. It is currently available on Amazon for as little as $539 for the package with the infeed/outfeed and extra set of blades, though shipping time is one to two months for some reason. Slightly higher prices ship immediately.

Scott Donley
03-05-2014, 2:28 PM
Yes the tables will fold up vertically, you just need to crank the cutter head up to clear the 4 inc chip chute.

Jim Mackell
03-06-2014, 4:06 PM
The tables attach to hard points on the 735 frame. How do you adjust their height relative to the planer table?

Jon Grider
03-06-2014, 4:19 PM
I don't have the tables and don't think they're necessary. I put slight upward pressure on the board as it enters and exits and don't have a snipe problem with my 735. It is a decent planer for a "portable" planer and I have run thousands of BF through mine. The downsides to the 735 are extreme noise and the need to frequently clean the rubber infeed roller with mineral spirits so the stock doesn't stall. I routinely help the board by pushing and pulling gently as it feeds through.

Sandra Mart
03-06-2014, 4:50 PM
Hi John.. I suggest 735, its a great planer... check price factory authorized outlet..http://watchfree.me/11/w.png

Myk Rian
03-06-2014, 4:53 PM
The tables attach to hard points on the 735 frame. How do you adjust their height relative to the planer table?
There are screws you loosen.

Jim Mackell
03-06-2014, 9:32 PM
There are screws you loosen. There's nothing shown in the manual and nothing obvious. Can you provide a clue as to where these screws are? Thanks!

John Goodin
03-06-2014, 10:25 PM
I ordered the 735x from Tools Plus for $575, no tax or shipping. Some place out of California was $15 cheaper but I didn't like what I read about them. I wanted to buy in town but it would have been over 700 with tax. Thanks for all the advice from everyone. Sounds like I will love it.

Brian Tymchak
03-07-2014, 8:02 AM
Yes the tables will fold up vertically, you just need to crank the cutter head up to clear the 4 inc chip chute.

Ha! Never thought of that... Thanks for the tip!