PDA

View Full Version : Carved moulding for doors.

Mark Yundt
03-04-2014, 3:32 PM
Here are the doors which I carved the 1.200 ft. of moulding for the panels. They aren't finished here as they will be getting a French Polish at another site.
The clients liked them so much they are ordering more doors so the carving isn't done yet!

Another job just came in for bidding which will follow a similar design but use leaf on leaf Acanthus instead of this small moulding around the panels. These new doors will be 10 ft in height and 2 1/2 ft wide with two doors per opening. There is also quite a few other carvings that will be interesting to do should I get the job.

For reference the larger piece is 3/4 inch wide and the small one is 3/8 inch wide. I didn't make the fluted section nor the corner rosette. They took 16 and 33 leaves per foot respectively.

Jim Underwood
03-04-2014, 6:50 PM
Congratulations on the new work. Nice job on this as usual. How did you not do the fluting or rosette?

Mark Yundt
03-05-2014, 1:37 AM
Thanks Jim,
i guess I was just lucky !
really though the fluting was straight forward and the Co. That built the doors didn't have much trouble making it.

Daniel Atkins
03-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Beautiful carving! Too bad they didn't do stopped flutes, something like this, which would have been a much nicer complement to your exquisite work than those obviously machine made ones. Nice work on your part though!

Mark Yundt
03-05-2014, 3:17 PM
Could have but it wouldn't have been appropriate in this case. These guys know millwork. This was done the way it is supposed to be done in this situation. On a 25 million renovation and 10,000 per door little is left to chance. The architect was spot on.