PDA

View Full Version : Help with Triton router depth

Tim Groeneweg
03-04-2014, 12:41 PM
I am having issues with the depth increasing as I am making a cut with my Triton router. once I have the depth set I am locking the base with the thumb lever( #74 in the link) and also setting the plunge stop to the proper depth(#69). By the time i finish the cut it has dropped at least a 1/8th of a inch. Anyone have the same issue or suggestions?

Thank you

Tim

http://www.raygirling.com/images/tra001.pdf

Larry Browning
03-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Are you using this in a table or hand held? I have that very same router mounted in a table and have never had a problem with the depth changing during a cut. If it is hand held there is a spring attached to the plunge assembly (it looks like it might be #88 in you diagram) that is supposed to be removed when table mounted. So if it had been in a table and you are now using it hand held, you should make sure that spring has been reinstalled.

Bill Huber
03-04-2014, 1:58 PM
I guess my question is the motor moving or is the bit coming out.

If it is the motor I can't give you any ideas but if the bit is coming out, clean the collet really good. I had the same problem with my Bosch 1617 at one time and found the collet was just full of dust and was not holding the bit very good.

I use ColletCare Spindle Care that I got form Precision and it is really some good stuff, I am sure you could clean it with something else.

Tim Groeneweg
03-04-2014, 3:34 PM
Thank you for the fast replies. The issue is with the motor moving, the bit is staying in place. I am using it as hand held right now and do have the spring in. I am trying to route dadoes for installing the T-track in the table and fence, fortunately I have only tried the fence so far and did not ruin the table top. Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thank you

Tim

Larry Browning
03-04-2014, 5:42 PM
So you are using your TRA001 as a hand held to build the table it will be mounted in? That is exactly what I did. However, I did not have this problem. Another thought would be to make sure the clamp the thumb level is attached to is tightening to the motor housing securely. if it is not you might want to add a shim of some kind in between the motor and the clamp while it is loosened and see if it will tighten better. Maybe there is washer missing on the screw of the thumb lever??? There is just not much else it could be.
How sure are you that it is not the bit moving? That seems to me the most likely thing to move due to the collet not being tight enough. I have had that issue in the past. The collet really needs to be tight on the bit.

Tim Groeneweg
03-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Well I am feeling pretty dumb right now. I was positive that it was tight and figured the bit would have came out if loose. Before saying I was 100 % sure it was not a loose bit I figured I should take a look. I noticed right away that shank color by the collet was different, I loosened it up and sure enough it had been sliding out. Glad to know that the issue is not the router and only me. I am building a router table to help with the kitchen cabinets I am making, hope this is not a long learning experience.

Thanks again

Tim

Jerry Miner
03-05-2014, 2:30 AM
hope this is not a long learning experience.

It is absolutely a long learning experience (40 years for me, so far). Hope you enjoy your experience, long or short.