PDA

View Full Version : Granite engraving

Krešimir Vranjković
03-04-2014, 10:18 AM
So, this is my first try at granite engraving.

Kept the speed high, and power at medium setting (90s/40p).

Please let me know what you think!

Tony Lenkic
03-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Hi Kreso, welcome to the SMC forum.

Your introduction thread is in wrong place. Members here wont see it where you posted it.
To introduce your self to engravers forum start by clicking on "Post new thread" at bottom left of engravers forum page.

Bert Kemp
03-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Very nice photo. I think it might even be better if you removed the back ground and just engraved the people.

Dan Hintz
03-04-2014, 3:49 PM
I'd say you have some decent contrast within elements of the photo, but you need a higher contrast with the granite itself. Once you get the image as a whole brightened up, it'll really pop.

And I agree with Bert, kill the background...

Krešimir Vranjković
03-06-2014, 6:19 AM
Thank you for the input guys!
The client wanted the background, so that's that:)
Dan, what do you mean by "higher contrast with the granite itself"? Do you mean I should increase brightness/contrast in my graphics software, or increase laser power while engraving?

Again, thanks for your input!

Cheers!

Louie Alvarez
03-07-2014, 5:44 PM
Although all laser machines will engrave a photo they all leave much to be desired if you don't have a photo specific application such as PhotoGrav, EngraveLab or similar. Disclaimer; I know, use and sell PhotoGrav so I am biased to this app since I've used it for many years, that said I would highly recommend you pick up a copy to "prep" the image with the best laser ready file that these types of apps can produce. Your image although ok, would look stellar with PhotoGrav. To make a photo truly stand out you would minimize the mid tones and enhance the dark and white tones, this will make, as was said earlier, the image "pop".

I learned a lot of how to work with stone when I worked with Vytek a number of years ago as they focus on stone engraving heavily. So keep in mind that granite is very finicky as you have to factor in the crystals in the granite. So images with a lot of detail tend to get drowned out by these crystals so zooming into a face to overwhelm the crystals will always look better than trying to engrave the entire body. Also look for granite with the smaller crystal sized specs to minimize this "drowning" out effect. The final thing in an app like Photograv would be to enhance the edges, this is what would separate your image from the background and enhance that "pop" effect.

Finally as for settings I find that granite needs very little power. To high power and you will begin to shatter the crystals, thereby ruining your final image. I personally run the laser at full speed with the variable being power, starting at a very low setting and working your way up. Looking at your sample image the engraving looks far to dark for my tastes. On a 100 watt I would use around 18% power, with 60 watts around 30% power so on your 30 watt I would guesstimate 60% power if not more to bring more "brightness" to the final image.

Bert Kemp
03-08-2014, 9:51 PM
If you don't have a photo program Universal Laser has a free trial you can download . At their website under products, 1 touch laser photo free 30 day trial. Maybe that will help you.