PDA

View Full Version : Mini biscuit jointer

Quinn McCarthy
03-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Does anybody make a mini biscuit jointer anymore? I need to glue a 1" board to 1/2" plywood. I was planning on using my regular one but it doesn't adjust to the middle of the board.

I am making panels so there will be veneer on both side and a rabbit profile on the outside. So that rules out dowels and nails.

Can I just get by with glue?

Thats quinn

lowell holmes
03-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Try using shim boards under either the wood or jointer as needed to move the slots.

I don't use my biscuit joiner any more, so I'm rusty, but experiment.

Can you cut the slots with a router and a slotting bit?

Mike Henderson
03-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I'd use a router and a slot cutting bit. You can cut a continuous slot in both pieces and then put the FF biscuits anywhere you want.

Mike

David Hostetler
03-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Mike beat me to the answer..

I'd use a router and a slot cutting bit. You can cut a continuous slot in both pieces and then put the FF biscuits anywhere you want.

Mike

Peter Quinn
03-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Are you wrapping a piece of 1/2" plywood with solid edge banding then veneering both faces to create a raised panel? You can definetly glue solid to plywood without biscuits, plenty strong enough. If you need allignment I'd just run an 1/8" spline in both and glue in solid splines cut on a TS.

Rick Potter
03-04-2014, 1:21 PM
Like Mike says...............But, if you really want one, the PC biscuit joiner comes with a smaller blade to fit FF (face frame) biscuits, as well as the regular size blade. Don't know if the blade fits other joiners.

Rick P

Keith Hankins
03-04-2014, 1:22 PM
Why not just tounge n groove? If you don't want it to show on edge then stop short?

Ed Labadie
03-04-2014, 1:32 PM
Like Mike says...............But, if you really want one, the PC biscuit joiner comes with a smaller blade to fit FF (face frame) biscuits, as well as the regular size blade. Don't know if the blade fits other joiners.

Rick P

The blade will fit others, it has a standard bore size. BUT, it won't work on other machines as the PC has an adjustment to reposition the depth stop since the cutter is so small.

Ed

Quinn McCarthy
03-04-2014, 5:16 PM
thanks everybody.

Mark wins on this one. Too late to do T&G.

Q

John Gornall
03-04-2014, 6:10 PM
Search Lee Valley for "mini biscuits" and look at the Veritas small ones. Click the blue "inst" button on the price line to see how to set up your router table for these. I find them great for small projects.