PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw Fence Biesemeyer vs Shopfox

Raymond Seward
03-04-2014, 9:18 AM
Need opinions....want to get a new fence for my Uni....would like to get the Incra but the footprint is too big for my shop. I was thinking Bies but wow cost is up there. Shopfox more affordable. Will I be happy if I get the Shopfox?
Thanks
Ray

scott spencer
03-04-2014, 9:30 AM
I've had the Shop Fox Classic and the Biese Commercial fence, and found them to be fairly comparable functionally....once setup properly, I doubt you'd ever see a difference in the end results. The Biese has a nicer fit and finish, and at even money I prefer the Biese....but if I were buying a new fence with actual out of pocket cash, I'd have a tough time justifying the premium for the Biese. You might also consider one of the Vega fences....excellent fence, and is also a better value than the Biese IMO.

Jim Tabor
03-04-2014, 9:36 AM
Raymond,
I'm very pleased with the Shop Fox on my one year old Grizzly 1023RL. I also installed a Biesemeyer on a Unisaw I sold about a year ago. Both are very good and better than any other fences I have used.... You should be happy with the Shop Fox.

Bill White
03-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Go with the Shop Fox Classic. I have it on my Grizz, and have been very pleased.
Bill

Raymond Seward
03-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks folks....I'll look at the Vega too Scott.....gotta sell some stuff now to raise the funds :-)

Dick Brown
03-04-2014, 1:59 PM
Had Biese and Shopfox Classic. Paint them the same color and hide the name, hard to tell the difference. I think enough of the Biese that I build clones with a few changes. Have seen the Vega and even had one but I had no saw to mount it on and sold it. If I were buying a fence today, would look long and hard at the Vega. Super smooth operation. If I wanted to put one on a small saw,(not a Uni. tho) right tilt if it were a belt drive, or either way if it were direct drive and light work, would check out the original Shopfox. Some left tilt saws, the motor will interfere with the fence when tilted. That said, it is without a doubt the smoothest moving fence I have ever been around, locks down solid, and stays straight when moving. Bottom line, your needs and your budget. For a Uni, Biese, SF Cassic or Vega, any one will serve you well.

Troy Turner
03-04-2014, 9:31 PM
Not sure how much the shop fox's are, but I'll second getting (not looking) at the Vega. Put one on my older cman saw. Of course it was an upgrade over the stock fence, but it will stay with me on my next saw too.

Bruce Wrenn
03-04-2014, 9:39 PM
Got any metal working skills? If so, build your own Biese clone. That's what the Shop Fox is.

Dave Cav
03-05-2014, 11:06 PM
I have a Shop Fox on my PM 65 (don't tell my OWWM friends). It is for all intents and purposes identical to the Bies except for the magnifying cursor. Throw that away and get a regular one.

David Kumm
03-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Depends on if you want the new style Biese unless others have copied it too. The head is smoother and stays perpendicular a little better. The tube is AL and while not quite as strong, is mounted such that it can be moved to allow for cutting wider panels on either side of the blade. Likely that all are now made overseas. Dave

Dick Brown
03-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Dave,
Never knew they made a change! Anxious to see one. Any sites on the web we can look at?
Dick

Raymond Seward
03-06-2014, 1:15 PM
Sounds like the Vega is the way to go....as to making a Biese clone I don't have a welder or mill....not really sure what would be needed to construct one tho'

Dick Brown
03-06-2014, 6:01 PM
There has been several posts about building your own Biese. clone in the past as well as mentioned in this one. I would not recommend a beginning metalworker try this as a first project. However, with a bit of experience in fabricating, it is very do-able.
If you can get your steel supplier to cut your steel to length, no need for anything but welder , drill press, some taps, probably a grinder, either bench or hand held, misc. hand tools. Steel did cost me about $75. a year or so ago depending on width of cut I am after. Been a while since I built the full size clone. (I like the Biese. Home Shop size for contractor saws.) Below is a fairly complete list of materials needed for the full size. (Bet I forget something.)

1 pc. 2x2x1/4x16'' angle (Rides on front rail)

1pc. 2x3x 1/8 wall rect. tube 42" (Fence it's self)

1pc.2x2-3/4x 5/8 thick solid block (Spacer between 2x3 tube and 2x2 angle)

1pc. 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1/4 angle -- (Front rail support) Length dependent on width of cut wanted. Determined by distance from blade to cut width wanted to right and left of blade combined+ 20" ( This can be shorter if desired and you don't mind the rail sticking past the angle. I like it full length to fasten my table board to and more room to pile stuff that I have to move to make a wide cut!)

1 pc. 2x3x 1/8 wall rect. tube. Length found by same as above.(Front rail)

16" 1/8x1" flat bar (Sliders mount on ends, welded in middle, adjustment screws push on it)

2 pc. 1/4x1-1/4 x 4" flat bar. (Mounts for locking cam)

1pc. 1/4x 2x3 flat bar (Welds on end of fence tube and cam mounts weld to it)

1 pc. 3/16x1"x3-1/2" flat bar (Goes between cam and rail)

1pc. 1/4" black pipe, 1" long (Welds on end of above)

1 pc. 1-1/4x1" long cold rolled round for locking cam.

1 pc. 1 1/2 x 2" x1/4 angle. (Length as above) I like an angle iron with horizontal lip (1-1/2)up for the uhmw block to slide on rather than slide on the table top. Does make an out feed table issue as there is the inch and a half wide x one half inch deep grove between the saw and the table to deal with. Personally, I don't have a problem with it but it is possibly a place to hang up. If you don't want the fence to ride on the angle, turn it over and use it to support your table board and/or out feed that way.

Misc. bolts, nuts, screws, uhmw material, fence faces, paint.

Be aware, I am in my recliner, in the house, so I take no responsibility for exact lengths. Will probably edit this post later.

David Kumm
03-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Dave,
Never knew they made a change! Anxious to see one. Any sites on the web we can look at?
Dick

Biesemeyer is or was owned by Delta. If you look for the black head and tube you will see the tube is an AL extrusion and the head has a different handle. It stays square to the table better than the old. There is also a company here in the US that makes a few clone designs including one for a slider.. Dave

EDIT. VSC tools

Raymond Seward
03-07-2014, 7:53 AM
VSC Tools....another one to look at....lot's of options! Dick Brown....it may be fun to build my own but sadly I do not have a welder nor the skills if I did have one :-(

Jon Middleton
03-07-2014, 1:29 PM
The fence on my Powermatic isn't very solid. It delects pretty easily, IMO. Is there a better one out there, or is my technique lacking?

scott spencer
03-08-2014, 9:36 AM
The fence on my Powermatic isn't very solid. It delects pretty easily, IMO. Is there a better one out there, or is my technique lacking?

They're not all the same...which fence?

Dick Brown
03-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Dave,
Have looked and looked on the net for the new Biese. fence you mentioned. Black one (see link) that I found says steel fence body. Anxious to look @ the aluminum one. Please post a link if you have better luck finding it than I did on the net. Our local tool store (40 miles away) is going through some rough times so doubt they would have it.
Thanks,
Dick

http://www.tylertool.com/delta-78-919bt2-52-in--biesemeyer-fence-head/dwwn78-919bt2,default,pd.html?ref=shopping&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=481&zmap=dwwn78-919bt2

David Kumm
03-08-2014, 1:45 PM
Dave,
Have looked and looked on the net for the new Biese. fence you mentioned. Black one (see link) that I found says steel fence body. Anxious to look @ the aluminum one. Please post a link if you have better luck finding it than I did on the net. Our local tool store (40 miles away) is going through some rough times so doubt they would have it.
Thanks,
Dick

http://www.tylertool.com/delta-78-919bt2-52-in--biesemeyer-fence-head/dwwn78-919bt2,default,pd.html?ref=shopping&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=481&zmap=dwwn78-919bt2

Dick, you have the right one. the head just has a little different lock. the tube says steel but mine is AL- if I'm remembering correctly with a t slot in the bottom so it can slide over bolts through the support. I don't believe they would put a t slot in a steel tube due to cost but may be wrong. I think the ad is mislabeled. Dave