PDA

View Full Version : Sears vs HF Bandsaw

Steve Gojevic
03-04-2014, 7:36 AM
I have a 12" tilting-table Craftsman bandsaw I bought new in the 80's. I have never been too happy with it in its stock condition. Lots of drift and the saw doesn't seem to be built particularly rugged.

The following HF 14" bandsaw is on CL for $200:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4343650789.html

Online reviews seem pretty favorable, with some complaints of misaligned belt cover holes (no big deal).

Should I "fix" my current Craftsman saw with aftermarket parts, or would it be better to buy the CL saw (probably could get it for $175)?

If you vote to fix the CS, what should I add/replace?

The HF saw claims 1HP, I don't remember what the CS saw motor is, but it might be only 1/2HP. At times the CS seemed underpowered.

Steve

John McClanahan
03-04-2014, 8:03 AM
Try to get it for $175. That saw is sold under several names. While not great, its not a bad saw.

John

david brum
03-04-2014, 8:21 AM
I had one of the HF saws several years ago. It's not a terrible saw; it certainly is capable of anything that any other 14" saw can do after you tune and adjust it. You'll need to buy or make a fence and also some blade guides. A link belt helps, too. One of the nice things about 14" saws is that you can get the 93 1/2" blades everywhere. Mine never had a drift problem.

I don't know who dreamt up the green color scheme for the saws. I personally like it. It would be fun to have all of my machines that color.

eugene thomas
03-04-2014, 9:43 AM
I would go the 14" saw route. Seems ya already have bad vibe on the cs.

Curt Harms
03-04-2014, 9:53 AM
I would go the 14" saw route. Seems ya already have bad vibe on the cs.

True. How big a hurry are you in and how long have you been looking? If you're not in a big rush, maybe wait for an older U.S. made Delta, Jet or Grizzly 0555 to show up. One of those may require less tweaking and parts replacement/upgrading to be a good machine.

Frank Ashmore
03-04-2014, 10:01 AM
The old saying ,"you get what you pay for "is very true when it comes to tools and machines.Another old saying"6 of one /half a dozen of the other".

Steve Gojevic
03-04-2014, 12:19 PM
True. How big a hurry are you in and how long have you been looking? If you're not in a big rush, maybe wait for an older U.S. made Delta, Jet or Grizzly 0555 to show up. One of those may require less tweaking and parts replacement/upgrading to be a good machine.

I'm not in a big hurry. I can wait and see if a better saw comes along. I was just wondering if I got that saw at a cheap price (it has been on CL for 11 days so maybe I could bargain down) if it would be good enough.

I've been looking for months and there haven't been many bandsaws for sale.

How about this one:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4332515857.html

I'm just kidding about that one!:eek:

Steve

Gus Dundon
03-04-2014, 3:44 PM
I bet you don't want to spend your time fixing your craftsman saw so Be a little more patient, you'll find better than that saw.

Rich Engelhardt
03-04-2014, 4:47 PM
I've been looking for months and there haven't been many bandsaws for sale.As a FWIW - I've been looking now for a 14" bandsaw for going on four years....

John Lifer
03-04-2014, 5:27 PM
If it was me, I'd not spend any on the HF saw. You can find a used BS if you look hard enough and it would be better than the HF

Jim Matthews
03-04-2014, 6:34 PM
The second hand 14" saw is a steal if the motor turns and the bearings are quiet.

Bring a screw driver and use it as a stethoscope to "listen" to the bearings.
Motor off, tension slack and guides off the blade.

http://www.boacalgary.com/artbear.html

If the wheels run smooth, the motor turns easily and the guides are intact
this is a smokin' bargain.

Steve Gojevic
03-06-2014, 8:50 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys.

I called the seller and he said someone is coming Saturday from quite a distance to look at it. he will let me know if it doesn't sell. So it's probably going to be gone.

Here is a Delta that just popped up:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4361453632.html

One concern I have with the Delta is if you look at the blade position in the upper guides the blade is running almost up against one side. I would think it should run centered between the two guides. Is this just an adjustment, or is there some major alignment issue (bent parts, etc)?

Thanks
Steve

Mike Olson
03-06-2014, 8:57 AM
Shouldn't be a problem, most of those are adjustable.

I'd be more concerned with that giant motor underneath. If you contact them, ensure it's not 3phase and that it could be wired for 110v unless you have 220v in your shop.

Myk Rian
03-06-2014, 1:15 PM
That Delta is a quest machine for many. Metal/Wood model. For $300 it would be in my shop.