PDA

View Full Version : X-Y Alignment Rails

Dan Wilhelm
03-03-2014, 8:57 PM
I would like to install some sort of rails on my engraver (GWeike LG500) so that I can accurately position workpieces to be engraved/cut, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. Just having a straight-edge/ruler bolted to the table would work for engraving, but the honeycomb table sits about an inch off the table which would make it hard to align pieces for cutting. I would also eventually like to build a pin table which would have the same problem. Does anybody have a good plan for building guide rails that stand >1" off the table?

Mike Null
03-04-2014, 6:07 AM
Dan

This is the kind I use. Strictly homemade. The tabs on the risers are the key to positioning so they must be aligned perpendicular to the inside edge of your rulers.

Dan Wilhelm
03-04-2014, 7:31 AM
Thanks, Mike. How are the tabs connected to the ruler? Are they moveable? I knew I was going to have to put louvers in the rear guide to allow airflow into the exhaust port, but I think I would still like a solid guide along the entire back of the cutting area.

Mike Null
03-04-2014, 9:59 AM
The tabs are stapled on to the ends of the risers with enough clearance to sit on the rulers. If a solid guide along the back blocks your exhaust air flow then I wouldn't suggest doing it. In order for a grid or whatever you are cutting on to give you best results there should be air flow under the grid or workpiece.

mike moll
03-04-2014, 10:31 AM
On my 24 tt I mounted the rulers on top of the honey comb. Just used longer bolts yo go through honeycomb and into my s old tsble.

Dave Sheldrake
03-04-2014, 10:59 AM
On a Weike it needs to be aligned with the rails as the table may not be square to the axis, try an L shape inverted and stuck with double sided to the bed surround Dan.By fixing to the surround it will stay in a fixed position no matter where the table moves up or down.

cheers

Dave