PDA

View Full Version : Mounting ski bindings

Prashun Patel
03-03-2014, 1:25 PM
I just bought a new pair of skis and bindings for a song - only to learn that it'll cost me $100 to have the bindings mounted. I called around; it's the going rate around here.

Has anyone done this themselves? I'm comfortable drilling true and with reasonable precision. I bought these second hand, so I'm not afraid of voiding any warranty. However, if I can mount these myself, it'll be negligible to have them professionally adjusted in a shop.

Thanks in advance.
pp

Wade Lippman
03-03-2014, 2:41 PM
I just bought a new pair of skis and bindings for a song - only to learn that it'll cost me $100 to have the bindings mounted. I called around; it's the going rate around here.

Has anyone done this themselves? I'm comfortable drilling true and with reasonable precision. I bought these second hand, so I'm not afraid of voiding any warranty. However, if I can mount these myself, it'll be negligible to have them professionally adjusted in a shop.

Thanks in advance.
pp

I've done it a couple times; well actually I put release bindings on snowblades, but its the same thing. As long as you make your pilot holes the right diameter, the right depth and the right position, there is nothing to it.
What's your question?

Val Kosmider
03-03-2014, 3:19 PM
How old are the skis? Newer models have 'tracks' into which the bindings 'clip'. Get the settings for You off of the internet.

Otherwise, get the balance and location information from the internet, and the boots which you plan to use, and very carefully lay it out, drill the appropriate holes, and have at it.

Skis shops (and nervous nellies) will tell you that you have to have a 'professional' install them and test them for your weight/size/skiing ability. Blah. If you are worried, start with a 'looser' setting and if, from experience on the hill the skis are popping out too frequently, tighten them up a little. Just be careful not to get too tight--that's all. No serious skier would take their skis to a shop for bindings or sharpening. Very easy to do at home, especially if you have a few tools and some general mechanical skills.

No biggie.

Prashun Patel
03-03-2014, 3:42 PM
Thanks guys. My question is whether it's wise to do it ourselves. The 'net would have me believe this is very risky. I want to be frugal but not stupid. Not sure where the line is on this issue.
You guys are giving me confidence, though.

Sam Murdoch
03-03-2014, 4:15 PM
Skis shops (and nervous nellies) will tell you that you have to have a 'professional' install them and test them for your weight/size/skiing ability.

That's the nub of the problem. Do it yourself and have something go wrong and you are on your own. $100 won't take away all the potential issues but at least in a bad situation you would not be to blame.

Of course in the old days we kids attached bindings in the cellar with whatever we had on hand and skied the crap out of the old sticks. Having said that - we weren't depending on quick release - that wasn't an option. I'm sure you are more than capable of doing a good job but...

Prashun Patel
03-03-2014, 4:20 PM
I guess if I fall and get hurt, I probably will second guess myself. I'm gonna pony up. That new spokeshave can wait...

Chuck Wintle
03-03-2014, 4:25 PM

Thanks in advance.
pp

are these downhill skis or cross country skis? I would suggest to do some research before mounting any bindings as the requirements are different.

Prashun Patel
03-03-2014, 4:40 PM
Yeah, these are downhill skis. I've done the research and know enough to be able to get through it properly, but I'm just not going to take a chance. I tore my acl once and if my family knew i was trying this just to save $100, they'd skewer me with the poles.

Eric DeSilva
03-03-2014, 5:07 PM
Do it yourself and have something go wrong and you are on your own.

I'm not sure understand that logic... The idea of "professional" installation seems to convey the notion of a licensed, bonded and skilled worker doing something, as opposed to the reality, which I'm guessing in most ski shops is some high school kid who has observed the procedure a couple times and then gets handed a drill. And, I'm guessing the liability release you'll sign will mean you are on your own whether you choose to mount them yourself or not. ;)

Jerome Stanek
03-03-2014, 5:44 PM
there are videos of how to do this remember google is your friend

Jerome Stanek
03-03-2014, 5:46 PM
What happens if you have them done and you tear your acl again do they pay

Sam Murdoch
03-03-2014, 6:13 PM
I'm not sure understand that logic... The idea of "professional" installation seems to convey the notion of a licensed, bonded and skilled worker doing something, as opposed to the reality, which I'm guessing in most ski shops is some high school kid who has observed the procedure a couple times and then gets handed a drill. And, I'm guessing the liability release you'll sign will mean you are on your own whether you choose to mount them yourself or not. ;)

I don't recall ever needing to sign a waiver. I do recall that I had to provide accurate information about my age, weight and skiing ability. After that I understood that the bindings installed by these "pros" were installed properly and would not fail in normal use. I'm pretty sure that if the binding had ever let loose (at least during the immediate season) or failed me in some other catastrophic way that I would have had some legal recourse.

Sure the specifics would be subject to some legal interpretation but I'm pretty certain that I at least would have a case for a claim. I'm not an attorney, nor am I a "nervous nelly" I just encourage Prashun to proceed with caution - at least ask the questions that would answer your points.

Wade Lippman
03-03-2014, 7:39 PM
I don't recall ever needing to sign a waiver. I do recall that I had to provide accurate information about my age, weight and skiing ability. After that I understood that the bindings installed by these "pros" were installed properly and would not fail in normal use. I'm pretty sure that if the binding had ever let loose (at least during the immediate season) or failed me in some other catastrophic way that I would have had some legal recourse.

Sure the specifics would be subject to some legal interpretation but I'm pretty certain that I at least would have a case for a claim. I'm not an attorney, nor am I a "nervous nelly" I just encourage Prashun to proceed with caution - at least ask the questions that would answer your points.

When I did it I was concerned about not balancing the ski properly, or drilling too big a hole and stripping it. I never even considered the possibility of being injured because of a faulty installation. If the screws snug up well, the odds of the binding falling apart is pretty small.

And good luck suing a professional installer. They undoubtedly have records showing they tested them as sound, and who knows what you did to them afterwards.

Prashun Patel
03-03-2014, 8:29 PM
Thanks all. I had them do it. Good thing too because i needed new boots. Since i bought the boots, the binding mounts were only $25.

Eric DeSilva
03-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that if the binding had ever let loose (at least during the immediate season) or failed me in some other catastrophic way that I would have had some legal recourse.

Honestly, I doubt it. I'm guessing it was in the work order. Their insurance company would require it. Putting you on notice that you should never ski outside your limits (hey, if you had a problem, you were skiing outside your limits, right?). Putting you on notice that they should be checked and readjusted pretty much every time you ski...

Edit: I should amend that. You cannot sign a release that excuses negligence. But the degree of incompetence required to get to a "negligent" installation of a binding seems high--frankly, it is probably ignoring the manufacturer's installation instructions. But even with that, suing on that basis is pretty tough, since there are a lot of other circumstances that can contribute to a skiing injury.

Wade Lippman
03-04-2014, 4:53 PM
I should amend that. You cannot sign a release that excuses negligence.

I don't know about where you are, but in NYS you absolutely can. In fact a waiver for malpractice (if properly executed) is binding. DAMHIKT