PDA

View Full Version : A little something in cocobolo...

Michael Stafford
06-19-2005, 9:13 AM
Here is yet another turned box in cocobolo. This is my first box in exotic hardwoods but not my last. It was pleasurable to turn and finished like glass.

This box is 2 1/4" in diameter and 3" tall. I sanded it dry to 600 and wet sanded it to 12000 with mineral spirits and then polished it with Renaissance Wax. This baby is smooth, slick, silky... Wall thickness is a hair over 1/8" inch and the top and bottom are 1/4".

Comments appreciated....

I forgot to mention that I got this piece of wood from fellow Creeker Rodger Barrows at East Wake Hardwoods!!! :)

Dick Parr
06-19-2005, 9:48 AM
WOW Mike, that is a great looking box, Did Gail make that one. :D

That is really a nice one Mike, it is getting hard to pick which one you should submit for the contest as they are all so nice. :)

Dennis Peacock
06-19-2005, 9:52 AM
Hey Dick.....didn't you know that Gail has been teaching Mike how to make those turned boxes? :p :p :p :rolleyes:

Yet another very fine turned box from the Stafford Custom Woodworks shop!! Very nice and very pretty Mike. You did Good!!!!!!! :D

Mark Singer
06-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Michael,

i just love seeing your work.....each one is terrific and has your signiture...wonderful!

Carole Valentine
06-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Wonderful Mike! I like the treatment around the rims. I have used cocobolo for pens but never had a piece big enough to do anything else with. One of these days I will. It's a beautiful wood.

Jim Ketron
06-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Another Awesome Box Big Mike! The Boxmaster strikes again:D

John Hart
06-19-2005, 2:18 PM
Another Beauty!!! Wow Mike...talk about "touchable"!!! I really like the finish and the shape is cool.

Ernie Nyvall
06-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Wow Mike, you sure do match that grain up perfect. Do you use paper to slice through and separate the lid? Great looking box.

Ernie