PDA

View Full Version : Menards Plywood - Anyone??

Justin Jump
03-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Anyone use this?

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/specialty-panels/hardwood-plywood/3-4-x-4-x-8-uv-prefinished-birch-plywood/p-1696698-c-13334.htm

In Pittsburgh, I cannot find pre-finished anywhere.

I called Menards in Massilion, only about 1.5 hour drive, and at $45 a sheet......However, they told me one side was paper backed?

THX, JJ

cecil rolfe
03-03-2014, 11:20 AM
The sheets in your link are veneered both front and back. I've used with good results.

jim sauterer
03-03-2014, 11:25 AM
I drive 45 miles to get their plywood way better than hd and lowes.just my 2 cents.goes on sale every so often.

Matt Meiser
03-03-2014, 12:06 PM
I looked at the PF at our Menards and passed. It'd be great if you were doing curved worked--comes pre-curved in many radii.

Justin Jump
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
@ Jim, you go to the Massilion store??

Jerome Stanek
03-03-2014, 12:44 PM
I have been to that store a few times.

David Weaver
03-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Allegheny plywood in the strip district should have prefinished ply (they say they do at least). It says on the door that it's not open to the general public, and for the sake of allowing you to walk around and window shop, it's not, but if you know what you want to order, you can just order it there and pick it up. I wouldn't order a sheet or two there, but I got 13 or 14 sheets of cherry ply and didn't tell them beforehand that I wasn't a contractor (I didn't know anything about them being non-public until after I ordered). The guy told me that it wasn't an issue given the order size.

Jeff Heil
03-06-2014, 11:08 AM
I used about 45 sheets in my kitchen cabinets/bath vanities and builtins for my house. Some voids in a couple of sheets in the ply s, but useable and cost effective. I special ordered a skid and it was banded together and flat. Despite a few cupped sheets, it met my needs and budget. I have posted my project on SMC if you want to search for it. Both sides were birch veneers. For cabinet boxes it worked well.

Mark Bolton
03-06-2014, 11:24 AM
If you google the menards SKU number its actually tigerply which speaks to the quality

http://www.menards.com/main/store/20090519001/items/media/BuildingMaterials/BM_ShelterForestInt/Prod_Tech_Spec/125-1700.pdf

Pat Barry
03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
If you google the menards SKU number its actually tigerply which speaks to the quality

http://www.menards.com/main/store/20090519001/items/media/BuildingMaterials/BM_ShelterForestInt/Prod_Tech_Spec/125-1700.pdf
Mark - not familiar with Tiger ply - do you associate that with good or poor quality?

Mark Bolton
03-06-2014, 1:10 PM
Mark - not familiar with Tiger ply - do you associate that with good or poor quality?

Its a very popular product but it is an import. They have kind of made a niche fast farm growing various species for the cores. I think much of their product is import platforms with domestic veneers but I am not 100% positive on that.

I dont mean to sound like import is simply lower quality by default. Domestics (or perhaps we should say North American) can still be bad but it seems to be the standard that the imports are catering to a specific market. I have one vendor that handles Tigerply only and have used it on occasion and wouldnt say its horrible but its not been great for me either. The pricing is very attractive however and hard to ignore but I just cant bring myself to do it.