PDA

View Full Version : Laser Tube Recharge/upgrade

Jeff Belany
03-03-2014, 10:50 AM
I see a listing in the classifieds today from Bell Laser LLC. They are offering a special when you get a tube recharged. Have any of you guys worked with this supplier before? Any comments on service/quality? How do you feel about an independent compared to having Epilog do it?

Another question -- when you have had a tube recharged, have you ever upgraded to a higher wattage? What has been your experience with this? I have a 45W Helix and have considered upgrading to a 60W or a 75W and wonder if it's feasible? Do you have to upgrade the power supply at the same time? I would assume so. Any insight would be appreciated.

This group is the best!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Keith Outten
03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Jeff,

Bell Laser is a new advertiser here. I hope that their tube recharging service is a bargain, if so they will be very popular here at The Creek.

Years ago when i had to have my Epilog Legend 24 tube serviced I asked about upgrading the tube. Even though Epilog advertised that my machine was upgradable in the field I was told that the power supply had to be replaced and some of the wiring as well. Basically it made the upgrade to expensive and Epilog wanted me to ship my machine back to their factory.

Dan Hintz
03-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Jeff,

Try 'em out and let us know. Epilogs have been notorious in years past for being pricey to recharge... $6-8k were figures often quoted. The last couple of years has seen them finally drop their prices down to more reasonable figures ($2-2.5k), though they still appear to be a bit above typical ULS prices ($1.5-2k).

I considered swapping out my 60W ULS cartridge for a 75W, but the machine itself was the model year just prior to their upgrade... I would have needed a PS upgrade, too. Now, the same system will accept everything up to the 75W, so if you started at 60W, upgrading just the tube isn't an issue. I imagine there is a similar line of thinking going on at Epilog. It's just cheaper to keep a few models of PSs in stock, so each model will support a small range of tube powers. Check with Epilog and see if your machine will support a more powerful tube as is.

Mike Null
03-03-2014, 12:56 PM
I found a similar response at Trotec. Up-gradable sounds good when the salesman is making his pitch but that's the end of it.

Jeff Belany
03-03-2014, 2:25 PM
I sent them an inquiry about pricing and upgrades. I will post when I get a reply.

Don Corbeil
03-03-2014, 7:16 PM
I was told by the trotec rep at the ARA show that the 80W iradion tube recharges would be around $1800.
It's quite a bit different than just a month earlier, when they were quoting $3500. I hope they are accurate on the llower estimates.

Gary Hair
03-03-2014, 8:06 PM
I sent them an inquiry about pricing and upgrades. I will post when I get a reply.

I'm pretty impressed with their responsiveness. I left a voicemail and Greg took the time to lookup my email and let me know he would research my questions and contact me tomorrow with the answers. I'll update tomorrow after I hear back.

Matt Davis
03-04-2014, 8:41 AM
If this helps, I recently performed a minor power upgrade on my Epilog Mini24 45 Watt. I upgraded the original Coherent tube to one of the new 50 watt tubes made by Epilog, picking up a 2 year warranty in the process. They sent me an upgrade "package" that consisted of:

New tube

2 new power supplies wired in tandem

New fan bank with 2 additional fans

Upgraded power switch panel/breakers/wiring harness

A new rear panel that accommodates the dual power supplies

Updated serial number plate

They even sent a new heavier duty power cord!

I've found that I'm now cutting at the recommended settings for a 60watt machine. So,all said and done, not a bad outcome!

Mike Null
03-04-2014, 10:22 AM
I'll ask what everybody wants to know. How Much?

Matt Davis
03-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Roughly $3k. The only painful part of the process....

Dave Sheldrake
03-04-2014, 4:32 PM
Exchange or outright Matt?

cheers

Dave

Matt Davis
03-04-2014, 4:44 PM
Exchange. The old tube, and fan tray went back to Epilog. There was a $2100 core charge as well, which went away once they received the old parts.

Jeff Belany
03-04-2014, 5:14 PM
Bell Laser gave me a price of $1240 to recharge my 45W tube. I assume I have to send mine in, not sure if they have any to exchange. I'll have to ask about turn around time. They didn't give any price for upgrades at this time since they didn't have any in stock.

Gary Hair
03-04-2014, 6:42 PM
They gave me a price of $990 to refurbish my 30 watt and an additional $200 if I wanted to swap with one they had in stock - that's a pretty darn good price! They also have options to upgrade to 50 or 100 watt, $3,700 and $6,900 respectively - again, pretty good prices! Both would require 220v vs 110v and a chiller, but they provide everything for the swap - pretty much remove, replace, run. My typical jobs don't really justify 100 watts but I can see an advantage to 50, especially when it's not that much more than refurbing my 30 watt. I'm not ready for a tube yet, my 8 year old tube is still running great, but it's only a matter of time before it goes. They will get my business when it happens!

Dan Hintz
03-04-2014, 6:47 PM
They also have options to upgrade to 50 or 100 watt... Both would require 220v vs 110v and a chiller

I'd ask again on that 50W, Gary... my 60W ULS was 120V, and even my 80W Trotec is 120V. I can see the 100W bumping it to 240V, though.

Gary Hair
03-04-2014, 7:54 PM
I'd ask again on that 50W, Gary... my 60W ULS was 120V, and even my 80W Trotec is 120V. I can see the 100W bumping it to 240V, though.

It didn't make sense when he mentioned it, same thing with the chiller, but I'll ask again when they call back with fiber info. Fortunately, 220v isn't a problem, it's literally on the other side of the wall from the laser, I'd just have to punch a hole and wire in an outlet. I'd rather not if I didn't have to, but not a big deal if so.

Mike Null
03-05-2014, 7:02 AM
Gary

Was there a warranty included?

Gary Hair
03-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Gary

Was there a warranty included?

We talked about a lot of things and lots of numbers were mentioned, but it was either 1 or 2 years on the tube.

Robert Walters
06-03-2014, 4:17 PM
I've tried calling them for the last few days at all times of the day.
No matter what dept you dial (Sales x102, Support x103, or Accounting x104) they all go to voicemail.

Doesn't give one that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Craig Matheny
06-09-2014, 1:42 PM
Jeff,

Try 'em out and let us know. Epilogs have been notorious in years past for being pricey to recharge... $6-8k were figures often quoted. The last couple of years has seen them finally drop their prices down to more reasonable figures ($2-2.5k), though they still appear to be a bit above typical ULS prices ($1.5-2k).

I considered swapping out my 60W ULS cartridge for a 75W, but the machine itself was the model year just prior to their upgrade... I would have needed a PS upgrade, too. Now, the same system will accept everything up to the 75W, so if you started at 60W, upgrading just the tube isn't an issue. I imagine there is a similar line of thinking going on at Epilog. It's just cheaper to keep a few models of PSs in stock, so each model will support a small range of tube powers. Check with Epilog and see if your machine will support a more powerful tube as is.
Dan Epilog now makes there own tube Coherent (sp?) used to do them nom a recharge on a 40 watt is only 1295.00 if I remember correct might be 1395.00 none the less not near 6k

Craig Matheny
06-09-2014, 1:51 PM
First you need to know if you have an Epilog tube or coherent (sp?) some coherent (sp?) tube machines can be converted to Epilog tubes mine was one of them.

OK let me answer 2 of the questions on Epilog to recharge you have choices you can send your tube in wait for the new tube pay the cost of recharge and your done (you have down time), or you can pay a core deposit and the recharge fee and they will express your new tube usually next day when you do the swap send your tube to them they credit the core back almost 0 down time....

Regarding upgrading I am currently planning on doing it with the 40 to a 60 so I have 2 - 60 watt lasers. the cost is right around 4k this includes a second power supply a new back cover any wiring harness needed and the new tube (exchange). so if your tube is bad (that is why I am waiting) it is about a 2700.00 extra cost to upgrade to the 60 watt the time on the 60 is just about 70% faster on cutting over the 40 ROI is a few months.
Hope this helps