PDA

View Full Version : Oil finish for turned pens?

Bob Janka
05-20-2003, 1:03 PM
Folks,

Has anyone used an oil finish for small spindle turnings like pens? I visited a friend over the weekend whose house has a lot of quarter-sawn oak trim and furniture (Prairie House and/or Mission style). He complained that a custom-made railing covered in 4-5 coats of varnish was "too slick" for his preference.

I am making an oak fountain pen for him, but would like to make the finish more tactile than the super-smooth polish I usually use. I sand using grits 180, 240, 320, 400, 600 & 800. Sometimes I switch over to Micro-Mesh and go up those 9 grits. I then finish with 3+ coats of Hut's Crystal Coat friction polish (shellac & carnauba wax). For Bill's pen, I'm thinking about stopping at 400 grit and using an oil-based finish.

Does anyone have any recommendations on finishing such a pen? I'd like him to feel the grain, yet I don't want to pay his medical bills if he scratches his hands or worse yet gets a splinter. :)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Cheers,
Bob Janka

P.S. Would cutting the oak blank on a diagonal improve the chances for quarter-sawn ray flecks?

Scott Greaves
05-20-2003, 3:21 PM
Hi Bob,

I've been meaning to ask how the Micro Mesh and Crystal coat have been working for you?

I think an oil finish is do-able. I would apply it about the same way you do your current finish, apply, then turn on the lathe and use a little light pressure to "cure" that coat. Multiple coats should do the trick. I have some tung oil finish I have tried, and it seems to work fine.

Stopping your sanding early may not have the desired effect, but try it and see what you think. Maybe try a scrap piece first.

There just isn't enough oak in a pen to show off much of anything, such as rays. About the only nice oak pens I've seen were from an oak burl. But really, just try a few things and see what you like. Maybe try an oak pen set off with turned finial and center band from blackwood, or something.

Post some pictures of your recent pens, why don't you? ;-)

Here's a link to some pictures from Provo a little over a week ago:

http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/csusa/csoh1.htm

Some of my pens are in the very last picture.

Take care! Scott.

Ken Salisbury
05-20-2003, 4:18 PM
Originally posted by Bob Janka

Does anyone have any recommendations on finishing such a pen? I'd like him to feel the grain, yet I don't want to pay his medical bills if he scratches his hands or worse yet gets a splinter.

Cheers,
Bob Janka

Bob,

I would actually stop the sanding grit at either 150 or 220 sanding with the grain until all sanding swirl marks are gone. Depending on how "unsmooth" you wish to make it will dictate what grit to stop with. I think you still want to finish with Crystal Coat. You just need to experiment with some scrap material to get the effect you are looking for.

p.s I have made some fairly good looking pens from white oak but have never had any luck with red oak. ----- Good Luck!

Ken Salisbury
05-20-2003, 4:22 PM
Scott,

I went and looked at the pen picture (direct link to pen picture):

http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/csusa/provo03cs64.jpg

As usual --- great work ! ! !

and of course a picture of the pen maker is in order here:

http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/csusa/provo03cs44.jpg

Scott Greaves
05-21-2003, 3:09 PM
Aww shucks, Ken!

I was just having fun! ;-)

Scott.

Barbara Gill
05-22-2003, 12:33 PM
It is all I have ever used. A surface finish will wear away but the oil penetrates the wood. Buff with the Beall System and the result is beautiful.

Bob Janka
05-22-2003, 1:55 PM
Barbara,

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of oil finish do you use on your pens? Is it a tung oil, urethane oil, danish oil, BLO, or something else?

Cheers,
Bob

Barbara Gill
05-22-2003, 9:51 PM
I use Velvit Oil on everything I turn. It is more like a Danish oil. This vase was finished with the natural regular oil and the fast drying oil.

John Miliunas
05-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Yo, Barbara! Very nice vase. As it happens, I cut up a bunch of Willow blanks today that a co-worker donated to my cause. Donated is a good thing, 'cuz I'm greener than those chunks of Willow, but your post has inspired me. No, nothing I can turn now will look near as nice, but the practice is good and gives me something to shoot for! Thanks for posting the piece. :cool: