PDA

View Full Version : What are some Shenhui workflow options?

John Calhoun
03-02-2014, 6:17 PM
I have to admit, I've been a Mac guy since 1987 or so. I'd prefer to do all my design/artwork in Illustrator or similar on the Mac.

I have a Windows machine hooked up to my new Shenhui G460 running their RDWorksV8 (I take it this is LaserWorks version 8?) that came with the laser.

What are some possible workflows that others have found successful? I don't plan on using the RDWorks software unless it only for sending the file to the laser to cut/etch.

If I export from Illustrator PDF or AI files am I going to need Corel or something on the Windows side to see the PDF/AI and talk to the laser? Is it going to be difficult to specify cut vs. etched artwork in the same file?

I'm curious what those of you who are knowledgeable would advise.

(P.S. What is that potentiometer near the ammeter on the laser for? It isn;t mentioned in the manual and a search here turned up nothing.)

matthew knott
03-02-2014, 8:26 PM
The Potentiometer allows you to scale down the power you have programmed into the software. So if you program 100% power the pot will allow you to go from 0-100% if you program 50 % power the pot allows you to go from 50% to 0%. You use it to change the power 'on the fly' and can be handy, but remember it will affect the power output of the laser so if you saved a program with the pot set at say 3/4 round then run it later on with it set at Max you will get different results.
On the software side do all you designs in Illustrator but export them as an .ai file, use a legacy version (version 8 is best), then import them into RdCAM, here you set if its a cut or engrave and then save the program for use in the future. You dont need any other programs other than Illustrator and RdCAM and they dont need to be on the same computer. I quite like this way of running and prefer it to a printdriver but many people here would disagree.

John Calhoun
03-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks, Matthew. I'll have to try RdCAM. I'm not sure if it came on the DVD that came with the laser.

And thanks for explaining the pot.