PDA

View Full Version : brand new jet pro shop table saw won't turn on

Travis Conner
03-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Ok I know another guy asked this question, but I tried everything he has. I checked all the wiring and it turned out one of the wires in the nuts weren't quite twisted together and was loose. I thought that was the problem, but it's still not working. I've pressed the reset button on the motor and that didn't do anything either. Does the reset button have to push down all the way until it's flush with the motor? Mine just goes down halfway and is very easy to push. Now also on the buttons on the on/off switch are they supposed to stay pushed in when I push them? They don't click they just push in and out. I took apart the switch and the on button switch doesn't want to push in. It only comes out if I pull on the tab and it's like it's spring loaded keeping it down all the way. I know I'm asking you a lot of questions at once here, I'm just explaining what I've noticed. I'm thinking it's the on off switch since the on button that says on presses in but the actual switch part behind it will not press in. Also does that big red stop paddle have anything to do with making the saw run? One of the tabs was broken on mine and I had them order me a new paddle and I never installed it since I think it seems a little bit cheap. What do you guys think is wrong with my saw? The motor makes no effort to start at all. Doesn't make a sound. Do you guys think it's the switch assembly since that tab won't push in? I was going to order one and install it. I really don't have any way to take this thing in for warranty work and I'd rather spend money on the switch then figure out a way to load it into my truck.

Bill White
03-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Jet should send you a new switch. Call 'em. Don't email. Have all your model/serial numbers on hand before you call.
Bill

Art Mann
03-02-2014, 11:00 AM
You are talking to the wrong people. You should be talking to the people from whom you bought the saw or, as Bill suggested, the manufacturer.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-02-2014, 11:09 AM
You can trace wires and power to see where the problem is, if you are comfortable with that sort of thing and have a multimeter. Never taken a Jet switch apart so can't help you there, but the reset om the motor sounds ok. If has resistance from the start of the push if it is tripped.

scott spencer
03-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Part of the price you paid includes dealer support....give whoever you bought the saw from a call.

Travis Conner
03-02-2014, 4:07 PM
I see what you're saying but it's a little difficult to get 4 guys to help lift a 320 pound table saw 4 feet up and into the back of a truck bed so I can take it to a dealer. Sometimes it's easier to figure out yourself and fix it then to bring it to a shop where they will keep it for 3 weeks. Then I usually end up getting charged anyways warranty or not.

Al Bacon
03-02-2014, 4:15 PM
Silly question and I'm sure you checked, but the breaker in the service panel hasn't tripped by any chance?

Travis Conner
03-02-2014, 4:19 PM
Silly question and I'm sure you checked, but the breaker in the service panel hasn't tripped by any chance?

Sure did. It runs other items on that circuit, just not the table saw.