PDA

View Full Version : felder combination machine

scott huebner
03-02-2014, 9:13 AM
I've just recently sold my cabinet shop, after 18 years moving on. As soon as the snow goes away I will be putting up a new garage at home (hobby only). I am looking to purchase a felder combination machine. Is there anyone close to Omaha that has one of these machines? Trying to decide if I should get the 741 or the 531. Mainly horse power. Does anyone know how the 531 cuts solid wood with a 4 horse power single phase unit? Also how does the mini max compare? Been to the woodworking shows in the past, but did not look at any classical machinery. We were a fully automated shop. Thanks

David Hawxhurst
03-02-2014, 9:20 AM
have you contacted either felder or minmax. If either have someone in your they might be able to arrange a meeting so you see the machines. I know when i bought my felder fb 600 they had a customer that was willing to show me his machine.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Scott, I'm about as far from Omaha as you can get and still be in Nebraska, but I I have a CF 741, and love it. They have changed the line a bit, mine is the green model, the new one is black, and the 531 is now green. The basic spec differences are the same though. The 741 is just a little bigger, ie the 16" j/p vs the 12" on the 531. The 741 has two speeds for the planer, etc. No major differences, but a lot of little ones. Both are great machines. You won't have power issues, and Felder uses superb electronics. I highly recommend power height controls, especially for the planer.

I've compared my machine to a couple Minimax, and it's hard to do apples to apples. IMHO though, Felder is more refined, but it costs more. You wouldn't be unhappy with either.

You've probably seen this comparison chart:
http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/products/117a3e144d0304d0f8c2065c18fdb512/product_detail/f5047b1b4bb7ed9db9121e62e152f875/117a3e144d0304d0f8c2065c18fdb512

jean dulmaine
03-02-2014, 12:48 PM
I have a a Minimax CU 300 Smart combination machine and live in Omaha. If you have any interest in looking at it, please send me a PM. My overall comment about the machine is that it provides lots of functionality for a reasonable price.

Rod Sheridan
03-02-2014, 2:05 PM
Scott, I have a Hammer B3 Winner which has the same saw assembly as the 500 series Felder.

The 4 HP machine cuts thick hardwood easilly............Rod.

scott huebner
03-02-2014, 7:52 PM
Thanks Rod, Steve, David and Jean. I had talked to the felder rep and he trying to get me next to a cf 741 but the customer has not returned the reps phone calls that has one in Iowa. Not sure how far away u are Steve but might be interest in seeing the saw if u don't mind. There will not be a 741 this year in Atlanta. I am north of Omaha about 18 miles. Jean, I would like to come and take a look at the mini max at your convenience. I am guessing I am probably 30 to 40 minutes from u. Sorry Jean not sure what a pm is, this is my first thread ever. Will u please email me at your convenience. Scott shuebner@walnutel.net

Loren Woirhaye
03-02-2014, 8:27 PM
I have a Felder 4hp table saw and it's adequate for one-off furniture making. Runs a 12" blade. If I were doing production ripping in 8/4 and thicker hardwoods I'd want something else, just like you'd probably want more than a 3 horse Unisaw for that job.

David Hawxhurst
03-02-2014, 8:52 PM
pm=private message. if you click on the posters name a pop up menu appears with different options select Private Message. pm's are like email, but through this site.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-03-2014, 12:56 AM
Scott, I'd be glad to let you take mine for a test cruise. I'm quite a ways away though, an hour will get me to Wyoming or South Dakota, the far northwest corner of the state basically.