PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Tormek T-7 Scaring Whole Foods Shoppers in New York

David Weaver
03-01-2014, 9:13 PM
I could comment, but the article really says it all, with a picture of the tormek at the end.

http://observer.com/2014/01/the-horror-brooklyn-is-freaking-out-about-whole-foods-new-knife-sharpening-stand/

OK, i'll make one comment. There's commentary from shoppers who think knives may go whizzing by them at 80 miles an hour (!). I guess they're not actually looking at the wheel.

Bill Orbine
03-01-2014, 9:29 PM
A little imagination.... I see woodworkers lining up to have their chisels sharpened. :D

glenn bradley
03-01-2014, 10:02 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again; there ain't nuthin funnier than people.

Andrew Fleck
03-01-2014, 10:18 PM
A little imagination.... I see woodworkers lining up to have their chisels sharpened. :D

Not a bad idea. I'll take a pound of ham and a 25 degree bevel please.

Bruce Page
03-02-2014, 12:31 AM
An 8’ chefs knife would scare the hebejebe’s outta me too! :rolleyes:

Steve Rozmiarek
03-02-2014, 1:40 AM
LOL! Supports my theory about some of the Whole Foods customers that I've met...

I did learn from the pic that I sharpen knives wrong on mine... ;)

Jim Matthews
03-02-2014, 7:08 AM
I think this is more about the over-educated demographic that Whole Foods serves.

They would be horrified to know that the Aspargus was raised to Wagner, rather than Respighi, for example.
There's a Whole Foods in nearby Providence, RI. The nastiest parking lot aggression and pushy shoppers around.

What's that cologne? "Entitlement" but if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

The appeal of working with my hands stems directly from dealing with this sort of ignorance.
Too many of us went to college in the 1980's and 1990's,
not enough of us know how to work anything more complicated than a car key.

Rant off.

Brian W Smith
03-02-2014, 7:49 AM
Jim,almost a +1 on that....how about a +.98,haha.Just want to say that "Entitlement" isn't sole provenance of the highly educated,as much as it may seem to be.Just saying,Walmart shoppers do a pretty good job at it as well.

Rick Moyer
03-02-2014, 9:02 AM
Probably thought you just throw that $100 knife away when it gets dull and buy an new one!

Bill Cunningham
03-02-2014, 8:59 PM
Seeing that the majority of household knife injuries that show up at the hospital are from yuppies trying to slice a bagel, why would the urban dwellers fear of a 'gasp' public knife sharpening machine surprise anyone ?

Prashun Patel
03-02-2014, 9:49 PM
The best is the update at the end where they realized the tormek spins at about. 100rpm, not several thousand.

John Coloccia
03-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Glad no one was killed.

Jeff Erbele
03-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Apparently they didn't grow up with a bench grinder in the garage. Oh wait, its Brooklyn; maybe they don't have a car, much less garage.
If that scares some customers they probably would go into cardiac arrest if they had a tour of a wood shop, machine shop, slaughter house, saw a bowl being turned, or a large DC commutator being polished with a hand held polishing stone.

Rick Potter
03-03-2014, 1:18 AM
You know that's just a teaser. When does the movie come out? I hear it includes apple peeling and brie slicing.

Rick P

Dan Hintz
03-03-2014, 6:58 AM
The best is the update at the end where they realized the tormek spins at about. 100rpm, not several thousand.

The best part was the guy who said he didn't want a knife whizzing towards his head at 80mph. At the speed the wheel moves, you'd be hard pressed to get the knife to get anything other than pure vertical momentum if it slipped... straight down. And him calling OSHA... awesome :rolleyes:

Prashun Patel
03-03-2014, 7:14 AM
I think the article was released exactly one month too soon.

John McClanahan
03-03-2014, 7:52 AM
This is how other news gets reported too, by reporters that don't know bolts from volts.

John

Curt Harms
03-03-2014, 8:44 AM
This is how other news gets reported too, by reporters that don't know bolts from volts.

John

Too true. But you can't really blame the reporter. They have to tailor their stories to the audience. An accurately reported story that flies so far over the audience's head they need binoculars to see it has little appeal.

David Weaver
03-03-2014, 9:21 AM
If they've got to go out on any given day and put together two articles, that doesn't give them a lot of time to be an expert on everything, either.

It creates something to entertain us, though. Whoever said the ham and the sharpen is a good idea, I agree. If there's any crowd that would have expensive knives, it'd be the whole foods shoppers.

As for the commentary on the clients as spoken earlier, I actually go in there once in a while. When I do, I'm usually perusing the bulk foods and the house brand stuff that isn't uber expensive (I can't get into lunch meat that costs more $ per pound than I've paid for some hand planes). The Mrs. lived next to one before we got married, and I'd get prepared food there from time to time, and it was good, but expensive. The clients there are not like me, though! That's a thought that ran through my head often. It's either the starving hippee type (local, owns no car, lives in unit #X in the brownstone on roup ave) or the types coming over from the wealthy neighborhood (university health system physician spouses, out in the middle of the day driving a 6 figure car and wearing exercise gear at 2 or 3 pm).

What seems to be universal is that when you go to a whole foods, there isn't enough parking. It doesn't matter if you go tuesday at 2 or friday at 8, there's no parking.

Mel Fulks
03-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Anyone who think the tormek is too speedy has got to be on downers and should not use a wheel barrow, the wheel could fly off and kill someone.

curtis rosche
03-03-2014, 12:32 PM
The first article was written as a joke but then copied as fact for some reason

Roger Feeley
03-04-2014, 7:52 PM
Around here, we call it Whole Paycheck. There's one a few blocks from my house. They have great cookies.

Alan Sweet
03-04-2014, 8:12 PM
And to think some of these people actually vote.

Bill Cunningham
03-04-2014, 8:53 PM
And to think some of these people actually vote.
Yup Their called "Low Information Voters" and the free world is full of them..