PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Filter Bags

Jason Solodow
06-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Here's a question for everyone, has anyone ever tried making their own dust collector filtration bags? I just got a used Delta 50-853 with 30 micron bags that are pretty well shot, but new 5 micron bags are $85 a piece. So I don't think it would be too hard to make my own, but I don't know what kind of material they use in the 5 micron bags..... Any ideas??

Jason

Tim Sproul
06-18-2005, 11:55 PM
american fabric filter company has gotten many favorable nods.

I also wouldn't hesitate to get a bag from Lee Valley - $40 or so.

caveat - i have a cannister filter on my DC.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-18-2005, 11:55 PM
You will still be missing a lot of fine dust with 5 micron bags. I purchased two 1 micron bags for my 50-850 for, I think $70, from Amazon, I believe. Much better than the 30's that it came with. You could also check with American Filter Fabric. AFF has a great reputation. Hope this helps.

Jason Solodow
06-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Next question on same thread, with the 1 or 5 micron bags can you use a plastic collection bag on the bottom? I'd like to just because it would easier for disposal.

Dan Stuewe
06-19-2005, 1:48 AM
I can't quote numbers on air flow, but unless you have a huge top fabric filter, you really need the added filter area having fabric on the bottom gives you. Of course, as the bottom fills with chips, you lose filter area. So it is kind of a loosing battle. My solution (one of these days) is to get a real filter from wynn (http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm). Pretty simple, these two options from wynn are 100 or 274 sq-ft. To get 100 sq-ft of filter media from fabric in just the top bag, you'd need the top bag to be nearly 10 feet tall. BTW, the more square feet of filter the easier the air flows through, and the more air can flow through your system.

(My thoughts may be true just in my head, and real world results may be different, this is just my plan.)

scott spencer
06-19-2005, 5:51 AM
From what I understand the Wynn filter is around $100 and you only need one.

Grizzly makes 2.5 mic bags for ~ $20 each....not sure if they'll fit, but I know from experience that they work well and make a huge difference over the stock 30 mic bags.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G5556

Timo Christ
06-19-2005, 6:06 AM
What about using air condition pocket filters?
Maybe an adapter could be made up so that these filters fit on top of the DC. I don't know how many chips get to the top of a standard DC, so maybe it would clog easily. Should be cleanable with an air compressor like normal filters, too.
These pocket filters are inexpensive, have huge filter area and contain small particles.

Jason Solodow
06-19-2005, 6:29 AM
Hey Scott, I've got the 80-853, that's the two bagger...

scott spencer
06-19-2005, 6:49 AM
Hey Scott, I've got the 80-853, that's the two bagger... I'm sure they'd be happy to sell 4 bags or two cannisters....

Scott Crumpton
06-19-2005, 9:31 AM
Next question on same thread, with the 1 or 5 micron bags can you use a plastic collection bag on the bottom? I'd like to just because it would easier for disposal.

I have a wimpy Jet-650 collector. Replaced the top bag with one from AFF that's 7 feet tall. High ceiling. :) Have the stock bag on the bottom with a plastic bag inside. Works great. Also using a trash can separator. AFF will make bags to your specifications. They will even make you a large diameter bag with a small inlet opening. That way, you can get the filter area without the added height.