PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base Recommendation for Shaper

Michael W. Clark
03-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Just acquired a Delta 5HP shaper (with some cutters) and a Holz 1hp power feeder. Both are used and I am starting the process of getting them cleaned up and going. Due to space constraints, I'm going to have to put the setup on some sort of mobile base. The shaper is advertised at about 450-500 lbs, and the feeder is about 150-200 lbs. I can find bases for the weight rating, but it seems like this could get tippy if the feeder swings out. (The feeder makes the shaper look like a toy!) I may be able to put some weight in the bottom of the shaper to help. Just curious what others have done and if you have a mobile base that you would recommend.

Thanks,
Mike

John A langley
03-01-2014, 10:35 AM
I have a shop Fox on my Shaper it works okay i'm real careful how far out I swing my power feeder

Peter Quinn
03-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I used to have my delta shaper on a delta base, welded steel, fit the machines frame perfectly, price was decent for the quality. You do have to be aware when you swing the feeder out of the way not to do so at full extension, or at least not to store it there while using the shaper. I never had issue with similar sized feeder, I just swung it around then cranked it back close to the table for coping and freehand work. I would stay away from those cheap one size fits all bolt together bases, just not ever stiff enough in use fot my tastes.

Paul McGaha
03-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I have a mobile base from Delta about like this one for my Delta shaper:

http://www.toolbarn.com/delta-50273.html?gclid=CKCq8p3d8bwCFUIOOgodOSkAHQ

It seems to do pretty well.

PHM

Michael W. Clark
03-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the link Paul. Peter is the one Paul linked to similar to what you used with a feeder?
I bought an HTC, but not overly impressed with it. I think I am going to "re-adjust" it to fit the bandsaw or drill press.
I have the Shop-Fox on my tablesaw. It's been pretty good, but no cantileaver weight swinging off of it. It stays in one spot now. When we moved a few years back. the movers decided to roll the TS sideways down the truck ramp (perpendicular to the fixed wheels) and put flat spots on the wheels. It stays in place very well now, but moving it isn't very easy with two flat tires.

Ryan Mooney
03-01-2014, 12:05 PM
If you're looking at the HTC I'd seriously consider the HTC 3000 over the 2000, the 3000 has a completely different lock/release mechanism than the 2000, the 2000 requires the whole thing to tip up/down which I don't like at all whereas the 3000 locks in place so its much more stable. I probably wouldn't buy a 2000 for pretty much anything at this point.

Loren Woirhaye
03-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Oasis MB800. Very robust. I have a machine in the 600+lb class (HolzHer UF 362) on one and while there's an inertia factor in pushing it around, the base is more than up to the task.

Joe Shanaphy
03-01-2014, 1:01 PM
When I've had a heavy tool but not a lot of budget for the base, I have used the Harbor Freight base but used square steel tubing instead of wood. It makes it very, very strong but still keeps the price around $50 to $60 depending on how much tubing you need

Jay Runde
03-01-2014, 2:31 PM
I prefer the jet heavy duty bases.

Jery Madigan
03-01-2014, 2:45 PM
Hard to beat the Rockler All Terrain if you are Ok with the cost. I have my jointer/planer and 20" band saw on them - no sweat.

Michael W. Clark
03-01-2014, 3:39 PM
Unfortunately I got the HTC 2000, thought I was going to use it to load the shaper in the trailer, and it was the heaviest one Woodcraft had in stock. When I put it together, throwed the box out. I think I'll put it on my 14" bandsaw.

I'll check my shaper base dimensions, I like the welded Delta base. Does it get unsteady when you put the wheel down?

The Oasis base looks similar to the HF base if you used steel tubing, at least in concept. I was going to check the price of the Oasis, but you have to fill out a form and request a quote. Kind of odd for a pre-designed commodity item?

I've thought about getting a welder, but I could buy several bases for a lot less than a name-brand welder, plus the time and materials. Kind of short on time these days.

Rod Sheridan
03-01-2014, 3:59 PM
Michael, in my opinion the best mobility solution is the standard Euro type semi live mobility kit.

You drill a 1/2" hole for an axle to go through and put a couple of wheels on it, making sure that you've only raised the machine 1/4 to 3/8" off the floor.

On the other end drill a couple of holes and put an angle bracket with a hole for the pin of the two bar, add a couple of those swivet feet with threade stems.

Now you have a completely stable machine that moves easilly.

You can make your own tow bar, or buy one from Hammer/MiniMax/Laguna etc, the one tow bar can then be used on all your mobile machines.

I've included a shot of the tow bar being used, and the second shot is my saw/shaper, which is about 950 pounds, moves like a dream........Rod.

P,S. This video at about the 4:10 mark shows an aproximately 1,500 pound machine being moved in this manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgellk8U85w

Paul McGaha
03-01-2014, 4:12 PM
Michael,

I've found the Delta base to be well thought out and built. With the wheel down the shaper feels fine and easy to move. It doesn't feel like the tool is overloading the base.

With the wheel up the shaper is quite stable and easy to use. Almost like it wasn't on a mobile base.

My shaper doesn't have a power feeder on it. I'm not sure how the extra weight of a large feeder would affect the mobile base.

PHM

Peter Quinn
03-02-2014, 5:35 AM
Thanks for the link Paul. Peter is the one Paul linked to similar to what you used with a feeder?
I bought an HTC, but not overly impressed with it. I think I am going to "re-adjust" it to fit the bandsaw or drill press.
I have the Shop-Fox on my tablesaw. It's been pretty good, but no cantileaver weight swinging off of it. It stays in one spot now. When we moved a few years back. the movers decided to roll the TS sideways down the truck ramp (perpendicular to the fixed wheels) and put flat spots on the wheels. It stays in place very well now, but moving it isn't very easy with two flat tires.

Thats the one I used. Very stable in use, rolls around quite easily with the wheel lowered. It pretty much behaves like the euro system Rod featured minus the pole, you push the foot pedal and a cam lifts the machine and locks it in place. I have the same style base presently on my delta 8" jointer, very simple to move. The feeder issue exists with or without mobile base, I never came close to tipping mine but always had that feeling I could if I did things wrong, just not much weight down low. I like your sand bag idea, or maybe build a box and fill that with sand, just not much room down in the cabinet and chips do go done there. I replaced the delta with an 850# Italian shaper whose base is cast iron....not much tipping going on there but I haven't found a mobile base for it either! I'm thinking pallet jack, which is my preferred solution, to have the machines in the ground in use and move them effortlessly with a jack as required, don't see that as possible with an American machine though?

Michael W. Clark
03-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks Peter and Paul. I think I'll try that base for the shaper. The shaper has a thin sheetmetal base that would probably do better to be continuously supported.

Peter, I hear you on the Italian shaper and I went back and forth about it before I got this one. Just not in the cards right now due to shop access, space, power, etc. I did get the HD used at a good price with some decent (I think) tooling and it has a 1-1/4" spindle. This way, if I do upgrade to a better shaper later, my tooling will still fit. Same for the feeder, it should be adequate for a larger shaper too. If I sell the HD later, I won't be taking a bath on it.

Rod, I'm probably going to adapt your arrangement to some of my other tools. Just put the HTC 2000 on the bandsaw and I'm not a big fan. The wheels are in the way no matter what you do. I'll probably put it on CL, but might as well use it till I have time to do an alternative.

Thanks everyone for all the input.
Mike

Loren Woirhaye
03-03-2014, 1:03 PM
A shaper is low enough that it can tolerate being raised up to work. I had my shaper on a 4" platform for awhile and moved it around with a pallet jack. If you're acquiring machinery in the 500+ lb class, a pallet jack really comes in handy.