PDA

View Full Version : Newing Hall Serial Cable

Egbert Dees
02-28-2014, 8:43 PM
Hi,

I help out at a museum and we got a Newing-Hall NH-400 engraving machine donated. Somehow we didn't get the computer or cable with it. I did get a computer going with the software and the machine seems to work also. It does go through the built in test patterns.
The controller is an APEX HPGL1 with only a nine pin serial connector. There is a communication problem between the computer and controller. I tried a straight through and a null-modem serial cable. Does it need a special cable?

Thanks,

Egbert

Mike Null
03-01-2014, 8:30 AM
Egbert

Welcome to SMC. Is there an ethernet port on the back of the controller? If so I would switch to an ethernet connection.

If you need a manual pm your email address and I'll send one.

NH tech support is good but not free.

Mark Sipes
03-01-2014, 11:33 AM
The HPGL 1 & 3 use a regular 9-pin serial cable but you need to adjust the baud rate .

HP 1 : Baud Rate – 19200............................HP 3 : Baud Rate – 57600
Data Bits – 8 ............................................Data Bits - 8
Parity – Even.............................................P arity - Even
Stop Bits – 1.............................................Stop Bits - 1
Flow Control – Hardware .............................Flow control – Hardware

Egbert, what software are you running on the computer for the HP-400... JLS, Engravelab, other?

Mike, I believe the HPGL3 has ethernet but not he HPGL1

Egbert Dees
03-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The controller doesn't have Ethernet connection since it a HPGL1. I do have the right settings for the serial port. The software is APEX-JLS version 1.12.17
When I send a job to the machine it goes through the exporting objects and the RX light on the controller keeps on flashing and nothing happens. I followed the procedure as stated in the manual on page 2.3 "Executing The Workfile"

Thanks,

Egbert

Mark Sipes
03-03-2014, 2:20 PM
Need to verify in the "execute" "set-up" that "HPGL on Comm 1" or 2" Verify setting Should be only machine confirm execution is checked. - set as default. close.

(need to verify setting in computers control panel/system/device manager/ports/ports settings )

Select job to send... "Execute" "machine" Apex HPGL is checked Hit return... "Transmitting Data" Msg

should transmit job.

Need to switch 9 pin serial cable and/or verify it is a pin to pin cable.

Get back with me after you verify these steps

Keith Bielat
03-03-2014, 4:14 PM
When setting up a backup computer I was going to test and see if I could set two machines up on a computer. I'm not sure if there is a work-around for it, but it seemed it had to be using Com1 or Com2 to communicate with the Newing Hall machines. Not always an issue, but some pci cards with serial ports cannot be set to com1/2 as some manufacturers (or windows?) reserve those slots. I found the easiest was a computer with built in serial and it was a breeze to connect. I'm not sure this is your issue, but its something to look at, maybe someone would be able to explain this better than me.

Egbert Dees
03-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Need to verify in the "execute" "set-up" that "HPGL on Comm 1" or 2" Verify setting Should be only machine confirm execution is checked. - set as default. close.

(need to verify setting in computers control panel/system/device manager/ports/ports settings )

Select job to send... "Execute" "machine" Apex HPGL is checked Hit return... "Transmitting Data" Msg

should transmit job.

Need to switch 9 pin serial cable and/or verify it is a pin to pin cable.

Get back with me after you verify these steps

I verified all the settings in Control Panel and the APEX software. Machine is default HPGL and set to Comm 1. The comm port settings match what you gave me.
I checked the cable and it is a pin to pin cable. When I execute the job it does send it to the controller. I don't know if it arrives there. As soon the Transmitting Data starts the "Automatic" light goes off, the "RX" light flashes and the "Key On" light comes on. According to the manual this indicates a framing error. Don't know what that means but I assume it has to do something with the communication.
In the Motion Mechanic communication test it also comes up in an error indicating communication failure.
Tomorrow I can try another serial cable and computer. I guess if that fails the controller must have a problem.

Thanks,

Egbert

Mark Ross
03-04-2014, 11:22 AM
You may need what is known as a null modem cable.

Mark Sipes
03-04-2014, 2:58 PM
Egbert is this your controller ???? There are no "Key On" or "RX" Lights ? Are there directional "Key pads buttons" or a "Joy Stick" ?? Color" blue/tan or grey?

Egbert Dees
03-04-2014, 6:39 PM
The controller in your picture looks pretty close. Here is a picture of the one we have. Doesn't even match any Newing-Hall's pictures identifying the controllers in document
http://www.newing-hall.com/Docs/Communication%20Settings%20for%20Newing.pdf

Egbert

http://i61.tinypic.com/2s0b9qu.jpg

The back
http://i60.tinypic.com/2u7bmhc.jpg

Mark Sipes
03-04-2014, 8:16 PM
I'm thinking this is a HP-2 Change your setting to 38400 / 57600 Baud and Comm1 And then Comm2 if the other does not work Both System and JLS settings. I'll do some additional research if these setting do not work.

Egbert Dees
03-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Success!!!!
Thank you very much spending your time in helping me.

Seeing the difference in the controller pictures, I dug deeper into the manual and found some different settings for the serial port.
Don't know what controller it is, possibly even older than a HPGL1. After applying the settings and sending a job all hell broke loose. I guess the machine itself needs cleaning and lubricating. But it worked. Now I need to learn to actually use it.

These are the settings:
Comm 1
Baud: 9600
Parity: None
Data Bits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
Flow. Ctrl: Hardware

Egbert

Mike Null
03-05-2014, 6:30 AM
Congratulations.

For cleaning and maintenance consult the manual. These machines do require regular cleaning using the products they recommend.

Mark Sipes
03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
I prefer JLS over Engravelab but I have been using it for 20 years. I find it easier to use once you really know all the tools that are available in the program.

Egbert where are you located..........If you have additional questions on the program just PM me.....

Egbert Dees
03-05-2014, 3:13 PM
Thanks,

Are you using the Christo Lube on the threads? Kind of expensive stuff. I do have little rust spots on the 1/2" X axis guide that I need to clean up with something.

Egbert

Tony Lenkic
03-05-2014, 3:17 PM
Don't know how Christo lube compares to Super lube but that is what I been using for lead screws and rail guides.

Egbert Dees
03-05-2014, 3:34 PM
I prefer JLS over Engravelab but I have been using it for 20 years. I find it easier to use once you really know all the tools that are available in the program.

Egbert where are you located..........If you have additional questions on the program just PM me.....

JLS is the software I have, so that's what i will use. Had somebody over today that used to have a sign business but he did restaurant and highway signs. Principle is the same, size was a little bigger.
Looks like the machine works, tried it with a pencil and piece of paper. After a while it stops with an error code. (Drive Off) This has something to do with Y axis movement. Hopefully it will clear up after I clean and lubricate all the guides and screws.

We live in the Northern Neck of Virginia near Reedville. The museum I volunteer at in the boat shop is the Reedville Fisherman's Museum (http://www.rfmuseum.org/).