PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen product available only in Minnesota

Bruce Mack
02-28-2014, 7:30 PM
Today at the L-N hand tool event at Minneapolis I bought the bronze edge plane for intended use in smoothing and refining beveled edges of hardwood, 5/16 - 3/8 thick for coopering box lids and more. It can be done off the tablesaw with a conventional plane, but establishing registration on a thin piece is tough. Besides I really liked the feel and look of the tool. They had one at the show and I took it home.
I also saw bottles of jajoba oil looking like fruit ices. The rep told me they had been transformed in their vehicle parked in the Minnesota "freezer". I bought a bottle, considering it cryogenic rust prevention. I had to leave early but may return tomorrow. I had a fine time.

Chris Griggs
02-28-2014, 7:36 PM
That sounds like my home town! I heart MN. Say hi to Goldie for me.

Honestly though...those folks are from Maine...that kinda cold can't really be new to them.

Maurice Ungaro
02-28-2014, 7:49 PM
Froze oil? Wow.

Ray Bohn
02-28-2014, 8:34 PM
Did you see any signs on street corners pointing the way as in previous years? If I had not been there a few times in the past, I don't know if I could have found it.

I may go back tomorrow also- just had to process wants vs needs for a few hours. I think wants are winning.

Bruce Mack
02-28-2014, 8:57 PM
I used phone GPS. Serpentine approach. Google maps printout was good too.

Randy Karst
02-28-2014, 9:30 PM
There is an L-N Hand tool event in Pasadena next weekend, already feeling kind of giddy but seriously doubt they will offer a Jojoba icee here on the West Coast (dang, it looks good!). Seriously though, I have come to prefer the Jojoba oil to Camellia Oil, so IMHO, good call (even in its frosty state). I also have a bronze edge plane, hadn't used it in a awhile and thought to sell it awhile back, then had a situation where it was the perfect tool for a project and decided to keep it (it's a great [& pretty] tool when you need it-so enjoy).

Noah Wagener
02-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Is this event ongoing?

I think the cold is overrated. Summitt county Colorado is the coldest place on earth. Though my grandfather was once fixing typewriters at Stillwater penitentiary and some Inuit or Tlingit transfer prisoners got off the bus and asked him "how do you live like this?"

A local radio host recounted going to see Wrath of Khan in which Bones exclaimed "it's inhumane Jim!" in reference to the temperature of a prison. According to said host when he got out of the movie the temp on the bank clock was lower than the temp of the prison planet.

Bruce Mack
03-01-2014, 12:36 AM
It runs two days, Saturday 10-5 I think. It's held in the workspace of the host furniture making/restoring company. I saw a Crescent jointer bigger than my car.

Mike Siemsen
03-18-2014, 3:48 PM
It was a fun event. The shipping company didn't deliver the Lie-Nielsen crates until an hour after the event was supposed to start. It was pretty funny when Ted put water on his sharpening stone and it froze solid. I brought in a heater the next day which helped to take the chill off and thaw the oil a bit.

jeff vanek
03-18-2014, 9:52 PM
Never been to a Ln event, do they offer any discount?

Christopher Clark
03-18-2014, 10:54 PM
That's a great pic of the no. 95. I have one too.

Charlie MacGregor
03-19-2014, 1:00 AM
I noticed that the jajoba oil will solidify well above 32 degrees. Odd

Richard Shaefer
03-19-2014, 7:53 AM
I noticed that the jajoba oil will solidify well above 32 degrees. Odd

I believe the appropriate term is 'congeal'. Like old motor oil, dried blood, and McDonald's french fries.

My bottle has been solid since Christmas. I'm really friggin done with this winter...

Charlie MacGregor
03-19-2014, 3:09 PM
I stand corrected.

Ray Bohn
03-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Never been to a Ln event, do they offer any discount?

Orders placed at the show will be shipped free and without local tax.

jeff vanek
03-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Do they bring anything to the events you can take home that day?

Chuck Saunders
03-20-2014, 9:22 AM
Do they bring anything to the events you can take home that day?

They do bring some inventory but it is limited.