PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Well today my Sears Craftsman air compressor bite the dust. It was a 1.5 hp and 12 gal. about 10 yrs. or so old. I am not sure what to replace it with. I use a DeWalt 18 ga brad nailer and a 15 ga. finish nailer. Both run really well at 90 to 110 psi. These are the only air tools I use. I prabably won't add anymore than that unless I get a HVLP sprayer for laquer other such finishes. The rest is just blowing things off. I see a lot of them at very good prices on ebay. Most are 1.5 to 3 hp and up. The tank gallons is from 2 to 8. It has to be a horizontal compressor. I don't have room for a upright since putting in my dust collector. Would something like the double tank 3 hp/4gal DeWalt or some of the larger 4 to 6 gal pancake compressors work for what I need to do. Also should a guy go oil less or oil filled? They tell me oil filled are quieter. I don't know since I have never owned one. Any help would be appreciated.

Bernie :confused:

John Cavanaugh
06-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Bernie,

I just bought the Dewalt DW55155 compressor refurbed from an Amazon seller. The price was great at $240. Im happy with the unit thus far. :)

The unit I recvd did have a leak in it that required a trip to my local Dewalt service center, it was all covered under warranty so no biggie.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B00005NMUY/refurbished/ref=olp_tab_refurbished/104-0207508-7373511

--
John Cavanaugh

Chris Fite
06-19-2005, 12:16 AM
I have a hot dog compressor. It will shoot nails all day long. I prefer oil-filled, I guess it is a real lubricant. If you might add an air-hungry tool in the future, that might be a consideration now. The larger units' larger tanks and suited motors won't run so much to supply the larger quantity of air.

Iin my new shop, I have planned and wired for an upright unit. I have no plans to acquire one or the tools that might need it, but planning and wiring are cheap.

Dale Rodabaugh
06-19-2005, 6:52 AM
I would stay away from the oiless compressors.Very loud and dont last very long.:confused:

Jim Becker
06-19-2005, 9:17 AM
Horsepower "ratings" are meaningless...look at SCFM and compare it to the requirements of the tools you intend to use. Larger tanks are better in that respect, especially if spraying finishes ever comes to play, but some of the smaller units can keep up pretty well with other types of tools. Some of the newer oilless units are much quieter than they used to be, but I still suspect that oiled units will last longer. Therefore, I consider them the better buy for the long haul.

I will say that I have a tiny Huskey thingie that I bought on sale that serves well for nail guns in the house and is surprisingly quiet. I'm happy with it for incidental use, but wouldn't consider something like it for regular work...I don't think it would hold up. Prior to putting the 60 gallon IR in my shop, I was using a 20 gallon horizontal compressor for great overall use. In fact, that unit is in service at another SMC member's shop now.

Bernie Weishapl
06-19-2005, 5:11 PM
I had 3 pm that said to get the Harbor Freight 8 gallon 2.5 hp rated. HF says it has 5.6 SCFM at 90 psi and 7.2 SCFM at 40 psi. It is a oiled lubed unit. I noticed everyone said to go that way because they are so much quieter. I know this craftsman is very loud. I have never had anything but the Craftsman so really don't know. Like I said about the only other thing besides the two nail guns used on it will be a HVLP sprayer. Any other info on the pancakes or 2 tank smaller units would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Bernie

Corey Hallagan
06-19-2005, 6:23 PM
I have one of the Porter Cable pancake compressors ( Oilless) that works well for light duty work and for any nailers, however if you want to do much that requires continuous air etc. it pretty much empties itself real quick and will run endlessly until you are done. They are noisey as well. It was a steal with the three guns, however, my next compressor will be either a horisontal tank with much more capacity or and upright.
Corey

Ernie Hobbs
06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Interesting timing of this thread, since my Air Compressor died today. I have a Porter Cable 6 gal pancake that is about a year old. I have not been real happy with it, since it tends to overheat a lot and is quite loud. Now that it won't work at all, I need to replace it. I don't think I have a warranty, since it was an "open box" deal at Lowes. For a replacement, I would like to stick to a pancake since I built a cabinet for the PC and it is nice to keep it out of sight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
06-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Well I went ahead and got the unit from HF. It is a 8 gallon, they say rated 2.5 hp and 3 hp peak for $109 + $39 shipping (by the way the HF $8.99 shipping is for 10 to 14 days as I found out). Oh well I wanted 3 to 5 day. The thing I liked was it was 120 psi, 5.6 SCFM @ 90 psi and 7.2 SCFM @ 40 psi. It is also a oil lubed unit. The other thing I liked about it was when it sits under the bench most compressors have the guages pointed up and this one has them pointing out to the side so I can read them from the side rather than have to stick my head under the bench to read guages anymore. Anyway we will see what kind of unit it is when it arrives. I did as Jim and the rest suggested to check my tools and whatever I may add which as I said was a HVLP spray gun. I think this unit will work and serve me for a long time to come.

I did think of one more thing. I need a new filter on my air line. Do I need one that has a regulator on it to?

Thanks again for your help and info. I appreciate it. I learn something every time I post.

Bernie

Corey Hallagan
06-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Congrats Bernie, hope it works well for you!

Corey