PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Spiral Pipe

Scott Coffelt
05-20-2003, 11:47 AM
I know there have been some discussions lately on cutting spiral pipe.

Options:

Hack Saw: I attempted a test cut the other night with a hack saw and a good metal blade, lets say it will take more time then I want to put into it with this method.

Rec. Saw: I don't like the idea of using a reciprocating saw and a metal blade as the cut will not be straight.

Jig Saw: Trying to figure out how to start. I assume a cut with the hack saw to break through the skin to allow for a point to insert the jig saw blade. May work fine.

Metal Chop Saw: Anybody done this? How's it work? Can you cut through a 6" pipe with a 12" saw very well?

New idea came to me last night.

Rotozip saw with a metal cutting blade: How straight of a cut could I get and would this do the trick?

Thanks for the input.

Gary Bindel
05-20-2003, 2:04 PM
Personally, I would use the jig saw. There are two ways to start. Your suggestion is one, but I have found that the kerf from the hack saw is usually too narrow and tends to bind the jig saw blade. My preferred method is to drill a 5/16" hole to start at.

I haven't tried the Rotozip, but if you could make like a angle plate that the Rotozip could be clamped in with the bit sticking out perpendicular to the vertical side about 3" up from the base. I would make it so I could clamp a block that the end of the pipe could be placed against. You would then be able to push the pipe onto the rotating bit and rotate the pipe pushing the top toward and against the back of the plate.

Scott Coffelt
05-20-2003, 2:50 PM
The Rotozip saw comes with an angle attachment where you can put cutters on it, I assume you can get a metal cutting disk. Same concept as a grinder with a metal cutting plate.

I can try the hole drill idea also.

Rob Russell
05-21-2003, 9:21 AM
I bought one of those little horizontal metal cutting bandsaws. One of the things I will use it for is cutting the pipe for my DC system. These saws are cheap - you can get one for under $200 including shipping. Enco ran a Christmas special which was $169 including shipping. They have it right now for $169 + s/h, $199 w/ UL listed motor.

These little bandsaws show a 4x6 or 5x6 capacity, but that's fully seated in the vise. You can still use it for 6" (even 7") pipe, by opening the vise up all the way, sitting the pipe on/in it and cutting as far as you can. Rotate the pipe and cut some more.

I've used the little saw for other things and it's been wonderful to have. One small project on my list is to make a mobile base for a tool cabinet (commonly called a "Vidmar") by welding together some angle iron and low height, high 500 lb. capacity casters. I can't but something as low as I need and making it myself will be cheap/easy.

Rob Russell
05-22-2003, 1:47 PM
This might turn out to be an inexpensive option ...

Power Hack Saw (on Ebay) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2532780633&category=12586)