PDA

View Full Version : And the sale begins…

Brian Kent
02-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Anybody have an extra $3,399.99 for a Powermatic lathe (for me, of course) plus about the same for stuff for it?

Mike Goetzke
02-28-2014, 11:40 AM
You ain't kidding on the extra stuff (I'm a relatively new turner). I bought a 3520B about 6-months ago and didn't purchase the outboard turning attachment then but tempted now but if I'm satisfied in <20" diameter turnings is there a need for one? Plus I have heard it's a pain to remove and re-install the heavy tail stock.

Mike

Dwight Rutherford
02-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Mike,
Look here for some solutions to the heavy tailstock issue. Other great ideas for your Mustard Monster.
http://mustardmonster.weebly.com

Don Bunce
02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
The Tailstock weighs 57 lbs... A bit much for my 64 yr old back.

I bought a "Down and Out Tailstock Manager" for my PM from JT Turning.

A bit pricey, but worth ever penny to me to save my back.

http://jtturningtools.com/tailstockmanager

Jim Seyfried
02-28-2014, 12:34 PM
You ain't kidding on the extra stuff (I'm a relatively new turner). I bought a 3520B about 6-months ago and didn't purchase the outboard turning attachment then but tempted now but if I'm satisfied in <20" diameter turnings is there a need for one? Plus I have heard it's a pain to remove and re-install the heavy tail stock.

Mike

Do you mean the bed extension or the floor stand? I have the bed extension and have it installed level with the bed. They don't make a riser for the tail stock so it really limits the use in my opinion. They make one for their larger lathe but have no plans to make one for the 3520b, I called and asked. I use the extended bed mostly to get the tail stock out of the way for the inside of bowls. I also remove the tail stock for vases, hollow forms, and to clean and oil the lathe bed. It doesn't seem that difficult to me but I have a cart at the right hight near by to set it on.

Jon Nuckles
02-28-2014, 1:22 PM
I already have the 3520b, and I bought the bed extension about 6 months ago but haven't had any wood to justify using it yet. I probably shouldn't mention it on this forum, but the pm2000 is tempting me during the sale.

John Conklin
02-28-2014, 2:21 PM
I really would like one and planned to buy one the next time they were on sale, but seeing that there's no way to get one thru the snow in the backyard to my shop, I might as well wait until the NEXT time they're on sale.

Don Bunce
02-28-2014, 2:30 PM
I really would like one and planned to buy one the next time they were on sale, but seeing that there's no way to get one thru the snow in the backyard to my shop, I might as well wait until the NEXT time they're on sale.

Where's your sense of adventure? Just get a team of sled dogs and have them pull it across the yard!!! LoL

Paul McGaha
02-28-2014, 4:31 PM
15% off is a pretty big chunk to save.

I'm glad they do it.

PHM

David Turner
02-28-2014, 5:24 PM
Sorby tools on sale (15% off) today and tomorrow at Woodcraft !!

Sorry they are not mustard colored.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Bill Hensley
02-28-2014, 6:08 PM
Just a suggestion for those wanting to remove the tailstock. Make a small stand on casters just slightly lower than the bed of the lathe (need to allow for the locking puck underneath). Slide the tailstock off and on as needed.

Dave Schmittou
03-02-2014, 5:16 PM
I don't recall where I bought it but I have a short (8") bed extension that is attached with a hinge that will pivot 180 degrees. You slide the tailstock on to it, pull a pin and flip it out of the way. It swings all the way around to set next to the bed facing backwards. To bring it back just swing it back, put in the locking pin and slide the tail stock back on the bed. If anyone is interested I will get the info for it and post it here.
Dave

Jim Daughtridge
03-07-2014, 3:54 PM
Packard Woodworks in Tryon NC has the 3520B on sale for $3399.99 until March 10th, plus free shipping. Everytime I open the catalog it winks at me.

Brian Kent
03-07-2014, 7:43 PM
Nooooooo. Not free shipping! Oh well. Easy decision. Just spend $3,700 that I didn't have on my dog's knee surgery. Might as well spend $3,400 I don't have on a lathe. :rolleyes:

ray hampton
03-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Why Not It's Only Money