PDA

View Full Version : EZ Smart Guide - Ply up or down?

Steven J Corpstein
06-18-2005, 9:53 PM
I have a question for those of you that own an EZ Smart Guide. Do you cut plywood with the good face up or down?

I've tried both ways and I don't know if I've been lucky, or if the chip guard is working THAT good, but I haven't had any chipping.

I'm getting ready to do a project with some Cherry ply and want some inside information before I start. Thanks

Jim Becker
06-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Good side is always down with a hand-held circular saw due to blade rotation. Devices, such as the EX base just help to eliminate the tearout on the "up" side while cutting, but there is still a chance that you can get some. Your "good" side is usually most critical, so...it goes down.

Steve Clardy
06-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Yes. Always down. Though through tests on my ez smart guide, I've down it good side up just to see how it performs. It does a good job either way.
Steve

Joseph N. Myers
06-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Just remember that the "good" side goes against where the blade starts to cut the wood. For a CS, the blade teeth comes up from the bottom so the good side down. For a TS, the blade teeth come down from the top so the good side up.

This logic applies to other tools with teeth, in particular jig saw, scroll saws and hand saws (DAMHIKT).

Regards, Joe

Dino Makropoulos
06-18-2005, 11:16 PM
I have a question for those of you that own an EZ Smart Guide. Do you cut plywood with the good face up or down?

I've tried both ways and I don't know if I've been lucky, or if the chip guard is working THAT good, but I haven't had any chipping.

I'm getting ready to do a project with some Cherry ply and want some inside information before I start. Thanks

Hi Steven.
The very first thing I want to make sure is that my saw on the guide cuts square. One test cut and you can avoid the possibility to have to re trim all pieces. The best way is to cut one piece of plywood and use it to see if your cut is true square. Put this piece against the edge of the piece that you just cut (not the factory edge) with a square.
The same test cut can tell you if your anti chips work fine.
In order for the anti chips to work they suppose to apply pressure right next to the saw blade.
If for any reason the AC-2 (smart base anti chip insert) don't apply enough pressure on the plywood you may notice some uplifting or even minor chips on the right side of the blade.(the cut-off side)
To fix that possible problem (customer tip) you can apply 1-2 or even 3 strips of masking tape on the anti-chip (only 3" long) in order to build up the pressure.
Then, you can cut with good face up and no problems.

Not only that, but you can save on materials because (unlike the table saw) you don't have to rip first and cross cut later.

The benefit of cutting with good face up is that is easy to obtain the ultimate look with better grain matching.
Good luck.

Dennis Peacock
06-18-2005, 11:23 PM
I agree. I've cut with good side down, good side up and I get the same results. No chipping or splintering....just a nice smooth cut. At least until I find out differently, I'll keep cutting the plywood in whatever fashion it happens to be on the saw horses. :eek: :D

BUT....Normally, the good face is DOWN when cutting with a circular saw. :D

Paul Berendsohn
06-19-2005, 7:47 AM
I'm with you Dennis. My EZSmart works so well, I find I barely pay attention to what side is up anymore.

Paul

Jeff Sudmeier
06-20-2005, 8:33 AM
I still keep the good side down because if I am not paying attention and lift the pressure on the off cut side, it will splinter :) Read: Going to damn fast! :)