PDA

View Full Version : I need a better screw cutter

Jamie Buxton
02-27-2014, 8:51 PM
I have a tool for cutting small machine screws, pictured below. That's pretty much all I use it for -- trimming 8-32 screws for cabinets handles. Somehow the included screws are often the wrong length. The tool trims the screw, and kinda rethreads the mashed end of the screw. It does an okay job, but it is not well-built. The rethreading part is deforming over time, so it doesn't do a good rethreading job. I'd buy a replacement, but the ones I've found look as cheesy as the one I have. I'd like to find a better one. Anybody got a recommendation?

Lee Schierer
02-27-2014, 9:36 PM
You can cut screw threads with a hack saw. I run on several nuts and then tighten two of the nuts against each other so the screw won't turn and clamp the nuts in my vise. I cut the screw with a fine tooth hacksaw and then file the end of the screw to remove any burrs. Any malformed threads are cleaned up when you screw off the nuts.

Lee Reep
02-27-2014, 9:40 PM
Coincidentally, I was cutting down drawer pull and knob screws yesterday with a hand held tool. I do not own it, is was at my daughter's design showroom. They needed a bunch of cabinet installs finished up. The one I used was a Milwaukee brand, but it was an electricians wire stripper, rather than the crimper-type tool you have pictured. The threaded portion was about 1/4" long and appeared to support the screw very well. I suppose backing the screw out for a 1/4" distance also helps reform the cut end. I am not sure how long it would hold up but seemed pretty decent in quality.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-27-2014, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=Jamie Buxton;2232771]I have a tool for cutting small machine screws, pictured below. That's pretty much all I use it for -- trimming 8-32 screws for cabinets handles. Somehow the included screws are often the wrong length. The tool trims the screw, and kinda rethreads the mashed end of the screw.

Jamie Are you threading the screw in from the threaded side? Mashed thread should only be on the end cut off. I have the same one has been working well for me for the last ten years. Tom

Jamie Buxton
02-27-2014, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Jamie Buxton;2232771]I have a tool for cutting small machine screws, pictured below. That's pretty much all I use it for -- trimming 8-32 screws for cabinets handles. Somehow the included screws are often the wrong length. The tool trims the screw, and kinda rethreads the mashed end of the screw.

Jamie Are you threading the screw in from the threaded side? Mashed thread should only be on the end cut off. I have the same one has been working well for me for the last ten years. Tom

Yes, the good end is the threaded side.

Jamie Buxton
02-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Coincidentally, I was cutting down drawer pull and knob screws yesterday with a hand held tool. I do not own it, is was at my daughter's design showroom. They needed a bunch of cabinet installs finished up. The one I used was a Milwaukee brand, but it was an electricians wire stripper, rather than the crimper-type tool you have pictured. The threaded portion was about 1/4" long and appeared to support the screw very well. I suppose backing the screw out for a 1/4" distance also helps reform the cut end. I am not sure how long it would hold up but seemed pretty decent in quality.

That's an interesting lead. In the one I have, the threaded portion is about 1/8" thick.

Sam Murdoch
02-27-2014, 10:33 PM
I typically use a pair of 6" diagonal cutting pliers with a ratchet mechanism that relieves the amount of pressure I need to apply. These are sharp and cut clean. Of course there are break away screws available too for knobs and pulls. They also need to be cut but with little risk to the threads.

johnny means
02-28-2014, 8:21 AM
I prefer to stock my screw caddy with an assortment of different length screws plus a few break away screws.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-28-2014, 10:01 AM
TRy a Klein brand of the same tool you have. Big quality difference from what you are using.

Andrew Gold
02-28-2014, 12:10 PM
I prefer to stock my screw caddy with an assortment of different length screws plus a few break away screws.

This has always been my approach as well. With a stocked organizer you don't have to mess around with these sorts of small tasks, just add the wrong length screws to the appropriate bin, pull the correct length and move on. YMMV

Steve Rozmiarek
02-28-2014, 12:20 PM
This has always been my approach as well. With a stocked organizer you don't have to mess around with these sorts of small tasks, just add the wrong length screws to the appropriate bin, pull the correct length and move on. YMMV

+1 more, screws are not that expensive. A cutter is a pain, even the good ones, and can get you out of a pinch, but this approach is worth the extra initial cost for time savings alone.

Peter Quinn
02-28-2014, 12:36 PM
I use a Klein wire stripper, it has cutters for 8/32 and a few other sizes, it cuts better than el cheapo brand (I have one of those too). I keep it in my installers kit. I don't drag every conceivable screw size to every install, often that's where hardware is presented, or a client asks "could you just put this one knob on a cabinet that has nothing to do with why you are here....) . It's happened enough that I sunk $20 into solving the problem. The good ones still mash the threads at the lead in, but not so bad, if you chamfer them quickly on a belt sander or sanding block they fly right in. In the shop I have. Box of every conceivable size, occasionally some odd hardware still requires a custom cut.