PDA

View Full Version : Quickie Project: Small Side Table

Jim Becker
06-18-2005, 8:58 PM
I recently did away with the two-drawer lateral file cabinet in my office (who need to store paper anymore?!:p) and installed a nice, comfortable chair for reading and for keeping me away from the computers during conference calls that I really need to pay attention to. ;) It's shown in the first picture below...unfortunately, I really need a very small side table to set the latté cup down, etc. And hey...I have a shop and tools! And lot's of nice scraps from previous project. So after giving the grass a little haircut, I got my butt in the shop (for a change) and started a quickie project for the weekend: a Small Side Table.

Now, even though my office is in the 250 year old portion of our home and has wide pine floors, a fireplace and 20" windowsills, the furniture is somewhat modern--all being from Ikea other than the "matching" credenza that I scarfed when a local office was closed a number of years ago by my employer. So given that as well as the small size table I needed, I decided to something that is "simple modern" would fit the bill. It will be 18" high which is just perfect for this chair.

I had some nice 9/16" thick black walnut (off the property) left over from my Shaker style clock project from awhile back and will be using that for the top. It was nearly wide enough as is, but I decided to trim off some less-than-perfect edges and join another board to it. The seam is nearly invisible due to careful grain matching. I have not decided on the shape of the top yet, but it will be either oval or some other elongated form...to balance best on the simple tripod base. (In our house, three-leg designs work a million times better than four due to the uneven floors)

Speaking of which, since all the furniture is black or supported by a black beam structure, the base of this table will also be black. So it's made out of scrap 1/2" MDF which is perfect for the task. To make things "interesting" I decided to cant the whole thing 10º and have the table top over hang longer in one direction. In other words, I was just faddling and a little flash went off in my lately-overwhelmed brain when I though of making things other than straight up and down. And if it didn't work out...the $1.50 worth of MDF is no great loss. :rolleyes:

So, I glued up the blank for the top, cut the parts out for the base, rounded the edges slightly with the OF 1010 (wonderful for machining MDF...no dust escapes!) and then glued things up. Tomorrow, final sanding of the base and paint and dealing with the top.:)

Pics:

1) New reading chair...it really needs a small table to its right
2) Top blank is glued up
3) Fitting the third "leg"
4) Final "leg" angled worked out
5) Completed base..glued up and ready for final sanding and black paint

Ralph Barhorst
06-18-2005, 9:03 PM
Way to go Jim. That is one nice table and it should look great next to that chair. I like the design and compact size. It is just perfect for that cup of latte.

Jim O'Dell
06-18-2005, 9:17 PM
Jim, you're right, that grain matched up perfecto. If the clamps weren't on it, I wouldn't know where the glue line was. Can't wait to see the finished product! Jim.

Mark Singer
06-18-2005, 9:27 PM
Very interesting design....pure snd to the point!

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2005, 9:34 PM
That is going to look great Jim with the rest of your furniture. Nice design!

Corey

mike malone
06-18-2005, 9:48 PM
Nice Jim....
it does have a certain "je ne c'est quoi"!!
regards
mike

John Miliunas
06-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Hey Jim, that's a nice latte'ble!:D I doub I would be making anything quite that "dainty", as my 32oz. coffee mug wouldn't take real kindly to it!:) :cool:

Dave Malen
06-19-2005, 7:03 AM
Jim,
With a chair that comfortable you'll need a table that can hold plenty of coffee. ;) Nice design. It will look great with the black paint!

Regards,
Dave

Jim Becker
06-19-2005, 9:10 AM
I doub I would be making anything quite that "dainty", as my 32oz. coffee mug wouldn't take real kindly to it!

A 32 oz mug would require me to install a toilet rather than a reading chair...:o

Richard Wolf
06-19-2005, 9:14 AM
A 32 oz mug would require me to install a toilet rather than a reading chair...:o

My first laugh of the day. Nice table also.

Richard

Bob Noles
06-19-2005, 9:24 AM
Jim,

Nice job and excellent creativity for small smace. Will that work with coffee also? :)

John Hart
06-19-2005, 9:31 AM
Nice lookin' design Jim...can't wait for the finish

Todd Davidson
06-19-2005, 11:12 AM

A good laugh to start my day (yes, at 11:00 am...). Nice job on the table Jim.

John Miliunas
06-19-2005, 12:03 PM

Hmmmm...Good idea. An end table for the bathroom!!!!:D Let's see...Incorporate a magazine rack, reading lamp and TP dispenser... Hey, I could make millions off 'o that!:D :rolleyes: :cool:

John Miliunas
06-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Hmmmm...Good idea. An end table for the bathroom!!!!:D Let's see...Incorporate a magazine rack, reading lamp and TP dispenser... Hey, I could make millions off 'o that!:D :rolleyes: :cool:

Oh yeah...And a place for the phone. You know...For those all-important conference calls!:D Jim, I think you're on to something!:) :cool:

Frank Chaffee
06-19-2005, 7:42 PM
Jim,
Nice study of CG and overturning moment. Both simple and elegant.
Good job.
Frank

Jim Becker
06-19-2005, 8:44 PM
Well, the weekend has come and gone and I got most of the way on this project this afternoon after helping Fred transport some firewood from our place to his this morning.

Since the glue was dry, I gave the base a final sanding after using a little filler to smooth over the "end grain" where the third leg pokes through the primary component and then started spraying paint. I probably should have taken my own advice and primed the thing first, but another light sanding and some more paint will take care of any inconsistencies remaining after today.

For the top, I decided on using an ellipse as it would provide a good amount of surface to the table while being consistent with the need for something narrow given the available area next to the chair. I did some basic layout on the blank after sanding it up through 180 with the Festool 150/3 and then found the correct pivot points for an ellipse of approximately 10" wide by 16" long. It can be done mathematically, but hey...that's not my favorite kind of activity. Interestingly enough, it only took two tries to get the right spots! (My lucky day... ;) ) The bandsaw made quick work of the cut and after smoothing the edges at the OSS, I did some hand sanding with both a block and without to make the curves consistent and eliminate any scratch marks from the OSS.

I originally planned on using shellac for the table top, but found myself bone-dry on alcohol inventory (necessary for cleanup) and didn't feel like driving 18 miles round-trip to get it, so I grabbed the container of Waterlox I keep near the lathe and started wiping it on after final sanding. I got several applications on this afternoon and will do a few more during the week to "finish" things up. It looks great, but the shellac would have provided a richer finish on this walnut...I know this from experience on other projects. I'll post a final picture when the table is "installed" later in the week, but the last one in the series below will serve as a sneak preview. :)

Pics

Drawing the ellipse. Two pivot points and a string are all that is needed. The wider the pivot points are spaced on an axis, the more elongated the ellipse
Cutting the shape out on the bandsaw just proud of the line
Using just a portion of a 1/4" roundover bit to ease the edges with the Festool OF1010 router
The ellipse sanded and with several applications of Waterlox Original
The "Sneak Preview" of the table...stay tuned for the final "installation" later in the week!

Bob Noles
06-19-2005, 9:02 PM
Jim,

Very nice little project. I like the contrast between the natural wood and paint.

I found the little glimpses of your shop just as fascinating as the table itself. Why not post a shop tour if you get a chance or point us to a link if you have already done so in the past.

Jim Becker
06-19-2005, 9:23 PM
I found the little glimpses of your shop just as fascinating as the table itself. Why not post a shop tour if you get a chance or point us to a link if you have already done so in the past.

Bob, there are pictures of my shop in an older thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11959) at the conclusion of a shop expansion project. Please note that the Sojberg workbench is gone and replaced by an Adjust-A-Bench...of which there are several other threads.

Bob Noles
06-19-2005, 9:34 PM
Thanks Jim,

I've always admired your work and organization and wanted to get some ideas in getting my shop re-organized a little.

Jason Tuinstra
06-20-2005, 2:22 AM
Jim, nice job. I like the look of the dark walnut with the mdf painted black. I look forward to seeing it installed.

Chris Padilla
06-20-2005, 2:23 AM
Pretty slick, Jim! I love the mixture of modern materials and good old mother nature.

John Hart
06-20-2005, 6:18 AM
Very pretty sir. I hope you don't mind if I plagiarize your work!!!:D

Jim Becker
06-20-2005, 8:41 AM
Very pretty sir. I hope you don't mind if I plagiarize your work!!!

No copyright or patent on this one! Design note...suggest you make the third leg longer for additional stability. This table will go in a constrained place that will protect it from tipping, but in an area that has more traffic, it could likely be knocked over easily. Fortunately, it's also very short at 18" tall, so the center of gravity isn't too high.

Jim Becker
06-26-2005, 5:30 PM
Well, the work is done on this project...for now. I say, "for now", because I do believe that I'll probably do another base for the unit with a little wider stance for additional stability (as well as a much better finish effort on the base), but I'll work with it for awhile to find out exactly how I feel about that. In the mean time, I'm pleased with the results, from a design perspective. The black walnut top really looks great and despite skipping the oil, it has a nice shimmer from the Waterlox Original I wiped on. (About 12 coats after sanding to...400 :) )

As for the second photograph, I really can't indicate what Dr. SWMBO asked me to say to "make a smile"... ;) :D Obligatory latté included, of course!:p

Bob Marino
06-26-2005, 6:24 PM
Well, the work is done on this project...for now. I say, "for now", because I do believe that I'll probably do another base for the unit with a little wider stance for additional stability (as well as a much better finish effort on the base), but I'll work with it for awhile to find out exactly how I feel about that. In the mean time, I'm pleased with the results, from a design perspective. The black walnut top really looks great and despite skipping the oil, it has a nice shimmer from the Waterlox Original I wiped on. (About 12 coats after sanding to...400 :) )

As for the second photograph, I really can't indicate what Dr. SWMBO asked me to say to "make a smile"... ;) :D Obligatory latté included, of course!:p

Great job, Jim and a well deserved latte!

Bob

Alan Tolchinsky
06-26-2005, 6:41 PM
Jim, Nice job there; it's a perfect fit in that space. Boy that looks like a very cozy chair. Is Dr. SWMBO allowed to use it? :)

Joe Mioux
06-26-2005, 6:46 PM
Very nice project, Jim, thank you for sharing it with us. The table fits right in with your chair and ottoman. But.....what's with your eyes???? Did you make your latte' too strong?;) :eek: :eek: :)

Joe

Robby Phelps
06-26-2005, 7:17 PM
Cool design Jim. I wanted to ask you a question though, I have been periodically checking out your website (which is great by the way) in hopes that you had done a review on your new Mini Max 16 bandsaw. Maybe I missed somthing but do you like it? Everyone seems to rave about these machines and I hope to purchase one this year. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks Jim and again cool table!

Jim Becker
06-26-2005, 7:28 PM
CI have been periodically checking out your website (which is great by the way) in hopes that you had done a review on your new Mini Max 16 bandsaw. Maybe I missed somthing but do you like it? Everyone seems to rave about these machines and I hope to purchase one this year. Any feedback is appreciated.

I've been very remiss on the web site for a long time, now, Robby, and it's not likely I get much done in the recent future with the girls arriving on Saturday from Russia for their month here in our home. That said, the MM16 (which really can't be considered "new" at this point since I've had it since Jan '04) is super. The newer design they are selling now is even better with 4" of additional resaw and added horsepower. No complaints. No regrets. Great company with quality products.

Thanks for your kind comments on the table!

But.....what's with your eyes???? Did you make your latte' too strong?

No, I hadn't taken a sip yet...but as I indicated, Dr. SWMBO suggested I say something to get a nice smile...and it wasn't "cheese"... ;)

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2005, 8:06 PM
Very Nice Jim!! I like that little table and the combination of the black and the walnut. Great job!

Corey

Pete Harbin
06-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Nice design and color selection Jim. I may tinker with a similar design myself.

Pete

Jerry Olexa
06-27-2005, 2:58 PM
Nice job Jim! Like the contrast of the finished wood vs the paint.

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2005, 3:12 PM
As for the second photograph, I really can't indicate what Dr. SWMBO asked me to say to "make a smile"... ;) :D You got that "deer in the headlights" thing down pretty good though.:D

Sam Blasco
06-27-2005, 4:22 PM
if i can remember your floors, it's a good thing you decided on three points of contact. nice simple design, pulled off with your usual craftsmanship.

Jim Becker
06-27-2005, 6:17 PM
if i can remember your floors, it's a good thing you decided on three points of contact. nice simple design, pulled off with your usual craftsmanship.

Yes, your memory is good, Sam...brick in the kitchen and wide pine "uppey downie" floors everywhere else. Three point designs rule!!