PDA

View Full Version : HF clamps

Steve Gojevic
02-27-2014, 7:30 AM
I recently noticed that Harbor Freight has 6" quick-release bar clamps for $2.99, 12" clamps for $3.99 and the 18" clamps are $4.49. Here is the link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-bar-clamp-96210.html

I need some 6", 12" and 18" clamps so I will check them out at the store today. The only negative reviews were concerning the handle starting to rotate on the threaded shaft. I am on a very tight budget right now and I can pin the handleeasily if need be. Other people have done that and the rest of the clamp seems to work OK. I realize the steel rod isn't going to be as strong as a name brand clamp, but I will check to see if the bending is reasonable or if it renders it unusable. Since I need a bunch of them, the savings add up real fast.

Steve

John T Barker
02-27-2014, 7:42 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with those...understand budget constraints.

Jim Andrew
02-27-2014, 7:54 AM
I have some, and like them better than the Jorgenson's same size. The handle is easier to grip and you can get them tighter than the slick wood handles the Jorgies have. Of course, they will not replace the heavier clamps you need to glue panels, but for what they are designed, they are fine.

HANK METZ
02-27-2014, 7:58 AM
I've got a couple of earlier versions of the model, handy to have and yes the beam will flex but for many applications is not a problem if you just need moderate force directed to a particular area and are not worried about parallelism.

John Lifer
02-27-2014, 8:01 AM
Look at the 18" or longer really closely. I bought that length and some 24" a while back and a BUNCH were twisted and bent. twisting had to be from factory, the bent (and it was slight) could have been shipping/storage/handling. Short ones are fine. And the price is right.

keith micinski
02-27-2014, 8:13 AM
A lot of people say that the dust collector from harbor freight is the best buy there and while it is good, I own one, the clamps are the best buy. These do there job, are stupid cheap, and if they are bent or whatever else can be wrong with them it's not really going to affect there main job which is squeezing stuff together. I love my big 36 Jorgensen clamps but for the little stuff I would have no problem buying more of the harbor freight clamps.

Cliff Polubinsky
02-27-2014, 8:24 AM
I've got around a dozen of the 6" and a few of the longer models. The 6" are possibly my most used clamps. I find I don't use the longer ones much, usually grab the Bessy's for that. Especially if you can catch them on sale they're a great value.

Cliff

Matt Day
02-27-2014, 8:54 AM
I have four of the 6 inch clamps and I like them a lot. Just make sure that the dimple at the bottom is there and stops the handle from coming off. One of mine doesn't have it and it's kind of annoying that it falls apart when I opened up.

Curt Harms
02-27-2014, 9:34 AM
The way I look at it is 1 Bessey F style clamp is better than 1 Harbor Freight F style clamp, no question. But for about the same $, 12 Harbor Freight F styles clamps may be better than 6 Bessy F style clamps if you need a bunch for something like a lamination glue-up. So I have a half dozen Besseys that get the most use and a dozen HF quality Woodcraft Black Fridays specials when needed.

scott spencer
02-27-2014, 9:55 AM
I've got more than a dozen of those, and find them to be a great bang for the buck....one of HF's best buys IMHO.

david brum
02-27-2014, 9:58 AM
I have 20 or 30 of the 6" HF F clamps. They were something like 99 cents when they closed out the wood handle version. I have used them often over several years with no problems. I have a few of the 12" version, which I don't use as often because the length gets in the way for most use. These will apply much more clamping force than most quick clamps, but you can't use them one-handed either.

If you look closely at photos of professional woodworkers in the mags, they often are using HF clamps for veneering and bent lamination work.

Ruhi Arslan
02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
As long as you stay away from the ratchet type clamps... When you squeze the handle to apply some pressure, either the ratchet handle jumps or the whole casing comes apart. Not even a "one time use" clamps. After several of them popped open like that, I hav enot bothered to use them. THere might be way to screw the casing togheter to enforce it but not sure it would be worth the effort and time.

Mike OMelia
02-27-2014, 10:09 AM
You just can not have enough clamps... even the cheap ones. I may have to mosey over there and pick some up!

Don Roberson II
02-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Lifetime warranty on all the Pittsburg clamps at HF. Break it, take it back. No need for a receipt either

Troy Turner
02-27-2014, 7:37 PM
I bought 6 or so of the 6" for a glue lam I was working on. No issues what so ever. No slipping of the handles or anything and I tightening the heck out of them. Been waiting for them to go back on sale to go down and get me some 12" and maybe 18" too. I'm a hobbyist so they suit me just fine.

Keith Mathewson
02-27-2014, 7:55 PM
I've bought about 300 of the 6" over the last 5 years and they work very well for the price point. If we break a few a month I don't get too excited.

glenn bradley
02-27-2014, 8:14 PM
Definitely one of HF's diamonds in the rough. I have a few I modified as bench holddowns. As to the handles, it is the rubber that twists loose, not the handle itself but, at the price they are often on sale for and with 20% and 25% coupons falling from the sky, you will get your money's worth.

Ed McEowen
02-27-2014, 8:16 PM
I have about thirty or forty of them in different lengths --- cheap and good enough for most things. Just don't leave them on too long. The plastic cushions will leave an oily residue on your wood if left in place too long.

Dave Cav
03-01-2014, 3:15 PM
I have bought dozens of these for both school and my home shop. Occasionally a ham-fisted student will strip the handle off the stud, and some epoxy (or a quick piece of scrap wood with a hole in it, plus some epoxy) fixes that. Other than that, no problems.

shane lyall
03-01-2014, 4:29 PM
We have about 75 of them in my shop and they get used hard every day along with Bessy and Jorgenson. Are they as good as the name brand clamp? No, but at half price or less, they are good enough for me. Only trouble we've every had is loose handles but a little 5 min epoxy and the handles don't spin. They do flex a lot on anything over about 18 inches but, if your stock is properly jointed, they are will clamp tight enough to close the joint anyway. I use a spring joint on some panels and they pull it together just fine. The plastic quick grip style isn't worth bringing into the shop but the F-style is one of HF's gems for sure.

Rick Potter
03-01-2014, 9:00 PM
Hey Glen,

I would like to see how you have modified them to use as bench hold downs, if it's not too much trouble.

Rick Potter

shane lyall
03-02-2014, 3:52 AM
it is the rubber that twists loose, not the handle itself I've been lucky in that the cover has stayed on all of mine. The inside plastic usually strips on the few with problem. I just shoot a little epoxy in and drive them back on with a mallet. Good as new in five mins or less

Dennis Nagle
03-02-2014, 7:16 AM
I have a gagle of the 12" clamps, but this is the best clamp I got from HF. I use it more than anything else.