PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Corel Draw upgrade

Robert L Stewart
02-27-2014, 1:15 AM
The time is overdo for me to upgrade my Corel draw X3. I am thinking about X6. My version of X3 was a home and student version even though there was not any indication on the box, (no VBA). I love X3 and will continue to use it but my files are getting larger and X3 is very slow with large files.

Any thoughts would be appreciated? I am not finding any deals from Corel but I see Amazon has an offer from "SkyMall1116". I have no idea what I would be getting. I would rather have the box version instead the download.

Robert

Rodne Gold
02-27-2014, 3:13 AM
Are you sure it's X3 that gets slower - maybe its the computer.
My attitude to UG's is that if it aint broken , don't fix it...

Dan Hintz
02-27-2014, 7:42 AM
X7 should be out soon, if you don't mind waiting a bit more...

Scott Shepherd
02-27-2014, 8:28 AM
Version 12 was released Feb. 2012
X3 released Jan. 2006
X4 released Jan. 2008
X5 released Feb. 2010
X6 released March 2012

Based on that data, I'd agree with Dan, X7 will be here very shortly. I'd wait for that.

Mike Null
02-27-2014, 8:31 AM
X6 appears to be a good upgrade with lots of extra features. There is a new subscription agreement available with Corel X6 which will get all updates and all future version upgrades if you agree to an annual fee. It doesn't seem unreasonable for a business application. It may be a bit much for a hobbiest.

The other concern is whether you'll be able to upgrade to X7 from X3. You may have to buy the complete new version. I suspect that will be the case.

A search will turn up another thread or more on this topic with a better explanation of the X6 upgrade option.

To Rodney's point, I know an old pro who still uses version 9 everyday (he has X3 as well) because he likes it.

Michael Hunter
02-27-2014, 9:30 AM
X6 has some useful features : better tracing being probably the most important.
It also allows the import of recently produced PDFs, AI files etc. which increasingly X3 can't manage.

That said, I still use X3 as the final destination for all my engraving files.

I bought my X6 upgrade early last year during the "amnesty period", after which they would only allow upgrades from X4 or X5 - so expect to pay full price now.

X6 seems to make use of the features of the latest processors/video cards and runs a bit slower than X3 on my ageing computers.

Dan Hintz
02-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Version 12 was released Feb. 2012
X3 released Jan. 2006
X4 released Jan. 2008
X5 released Feb. 2010
X6 released March 2012

Based on that data, I'd agree with Dan, X7 will be here very shortly. I'd wait for that.

I was just going by their beta program... it's closed for X7, which means it will likely be here before the year is out (hopefully sooner).

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-27-2014, 1:27 PM
You don't mention what type of computer you are running X3 on. X6 has some nice features, but it is a big change from X3. It brings my fast-running, clean install XP computer to a crawl as soon as I work in Corel. I can dual-boot to my old hard drive running the old XP intall with X3 on it and X3 is screaming fast compared to running X6.

Liesl Dexheimer
02-27-2014, 2:14 PM
I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it. On the other hand, I had forgotten that Microsoft is discontinuing it's updates to Win XP starting in April. :(

I may need to upgrade my computers now seeing as how they are 9 & 10 yrs old & probably will have some issues with Win 7. Problem is my old NH uses a parallel port, looks like I may have to purchase a PCI card for that dinosaur. :(

Robert L Stewart
02-27-2014, 2:47 PM
Are you sure it's X3 that gets slower - maybe its the computer.
My attitude to UG's is that if it aint broken , don't fix it...

Rodne, I could not agree more about the "if it aint broken..."

Mike, My P4 XP pro comp is still fast with X3 and works well with the files
that I created years back. Lately I have been adding lots of complex gradient fills with many powerclips in files as large as 13 mb. These new files can take more than a minute to save or make changes to.

I have a newer comp, Intel Xeon quad core CPU E5410 @2.33ghz, 8 GB ram, Nvidia Guadro FZ 4600, running win 7 pro 64 bit. It's an older Lenovo workstation.
Thinking is comp will take care of the upgrade version.

Will keep X3 intact. It's a sweet program.

I was on the Corel website but did not see the option for buying into future upgrades. Will look again.
Thanks to all.

Robert

matthew knott
02-27-2014, 3:54 PM
"if it aint broken..." that's natural my outlook BUT its kind of a lazy way to do things and can come at a price over time. I used to design PCB's for a living and I liked the software, I knew it inside out and it worked, now my employed paid for all the support and upgrades but i never installed them, couldn't see the point "it wasnt broken, it worked" Well eventually i had to upgrade it and because i had left it so long and there had been about 5 new versions i didnt have a clue how to use it and had a massive turning curve. Now to be fair corel has not changed that much between X3 and X6 but i like to keep upto date and each revision comes with a manageable amount of new features. Also we use the hell out of it so the cost is virtually nothing compared to cost of the software. I always keep all the versions on my PC as there always seems to be something they take away or spoil every time !!

Darryl Hazen
02-28-2014, 11:44 AM
For anyone wanting to upgrade to CorelDraw X6 from X3,X4 or X5.....Last day is March 1

http://www.digitalartsolutions.com/promotions/coreldrawX6-upgrade.php

Craig Matheny
03-06-2014, 3:58 PM
I think the one issue that I did not see brought up is the driver for our lasers how long was it we waited for x5 and x6 drivers for the 64 bit and still issue at times so what will 7 bring.

Matthew Grant
03-09-2014, 11:26 PM
You can buy the upgrade on ebay pretty cheap. I use a old computer with XP, and I find X6 runs fine without anything slowing down. It does take 5-10sec for Corel to start, that's the only difference I saw when changing from X3 to X6.

Dan Hintz
03-10-2014, 2:29 PM
You can buy the upgrade on ebay pretty cheap.

"Cheap" and "legally" don't usually go together when it comes to software, particularly on eBay.

Mike Null
03-10-2014, 3:47 PM
Not to mention all the horror stories of software bought on ebay. Caveat Emptor.

Martin James
03-10-2014, 6:09 PM
I am trying out the demo version of coreldraw x6 right now. It seems like they have a new release about every 2 years and are due for the next version soon.

So should a guy wait a month or two, maybe go with the $25/month plan till they come out with the version 7. Expecting that to be with in 3 months, or will the new version not work with lasers until new drivers are developed, and when might that be? decisions...

Thanks marty

Mike Null
03-10-2014, 6:31 PM
Marty

I'm wrestling with the same decision but I'd stick with the demo as long as you can. I'm inclined to sign up for the annual subscription plan as it's relatively close to the cost of upgrades and offers a little more.

I have no financial interest in Corel software.

Matthew Grant
03-10-2014, 8:26 PM
"Cheap" and "legally" don't usually go together when it comes to software, particularly on eBay.

Not to mention all the horror stories of software bought on ebay. Caveat Emptor.

Really? New in box? I don't know, I'd say if you buy from a US seller and use Paypal, it seems pretty safe. Educate me with links and such, guys. I guess I'm at risk of falling for whatever they're pulling it seems.

Dan Hintz
03-10-2014, 9:02 PM
Really? New in box? I don't know, I'd say if you buy from a US seller and use Paypal, it seems pretty safe. Educate me with links and such, guys. I guess I'm at risk of falling for whatever they're pulling it seems.

There are a number of potential problems. OEM copies that should be included with specific hardware (e.g., a scanner) are often sold... separating the software from the hardware is against the TOS (and illegal in many cases, as the software was sold at a discount to make the package deal). Selling academic versions as full... academic versions cannot be upgraded, something found out years after purchase, as well as not being full-featured (missing VBA). Selling pre-registered versions as new-in-box. Selling home-cut CDs, or in fake boxes that look nearly real. And so on and so on.

A Corel representative occasionally posts here (and keeps an eye on things), and Corel's position on the matter is nearly all of the low-priced versions out there are not being sold by legal distribution networks.

Matthew Grant
03-11-2014, 12:03 AM
There are a number of potential problems. OEM copies that should be included with specific hardware (e.g., a scanner) are often sold... separating the software from the hardware is against the TOS (and illegal in many cases, as the software was sold at a discount to make the package deal). Selling academic versions as full... academic versions cannot be upgraded, something found out years after purchase, as well as not being full-featured (missing VBA). Selling pre-registered versions as new-in-box. Selling home-cut CDs, or in fake boxes that look nearly real. And so on and so on.

A Corel representative occasionally posts here (and keeps an eye on things), and Corel's position on the matter is nearly all of the low-priced versions out there are not being sold by legal distribution networks.

Thanks for the tips on ebaysoft. Amazing how much work people put into ripping other people off. What if they just applied themselves to doing a normal job?!?

Robert L Stewart
03-11-2014, 2:03 PM

You are so right Dan,

I have bought software on ebay (Adobe CS2) sealed in box and so called "never used" only to find out that I could not register
the product. While on the phone with Corel I asked about the Corel X6 on Amazon. They did not have a distributor called "skymall1116" and said that is probably a bogus copy for 304.00. So glad I took the time to call.

I placed a phone order of X6 from Corel. 20% off.

Robert