PDA

View Full Version : Doug Thompson sharpening video

Reed Gray
02-27-2014, 12:50 AM
Hope this is okay with the moderators, but found this and think it is very good. It does cover a lot of stuff about what the nose of your gouge should look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOc6giDP39A

robo hippy

Michael Gibson
02-27-2014, 8:16 AM
This is a great video, everyone that needs to know how to sharpen should watch this one. If your tools are not sharp you cannot turn. Michael

Dick Mahany
02-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks for posting this link! There is a ton of useful information on the video and even seasoned turners can get a lot out of it. Now I'm off to tune up a few fingernail gouges :).

Brian Tymchak
02-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks for posting! I saw a Robo Rest nicely featured in there!! :)

Ted Calver
02-27-2014, 1:30 PM
Great video Reed. Thanks for posting...I needed a refresher.

Reed Gray
02-27-2014, 4:05 PM
I was out in the shop turning some madrone this morning, and tried the 60 degree bevel on one of his gouges. For what ever reasons, I find it easier to go down the sides of the bowl with a more pointy (45 degree) gouge. More experimentation!!!!

I did like seeing the robo rest in there, but not the reason I posted the link. I just like his approach to sharpening.

robo hippy

Bob Bergstrom
02-27-2014, 7:23 PM
Wonder if he has changed his mind on CBN wheels. An $85 wheel dresser isn't in some peoples budget either. If we add up the total price of our Thomson tools, what's a few hundred for an awesome sharpening wheel. I've gone through a few 3X "K" wheels. Great video and I learned some great things.

Richard Madden
02-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the link, I believe Doug was in Springfield, Missouri this past Saturday where this was videoed. Then, on Sunday he was at our club. I was able to go just long enough to buy some of Doug's tools, but I was not able to stay for his sharpening demo. This filled in what I missed. Thanks. BTW, that was a nice rest he was using.

Rich Aldrich
03-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Reed - Thank you for posting. This will definitely improve my sharpening skills. I know areas I can improve just by watching it once. I know watching a few more times will help as I probably missed some detail the first time through. Most of my new tools are Doug's anyway.

Scot Roberge
08-18-2014, 12:37 PM
I enjoyed watching this video a few months back. Went back to review today and it's marked "private" and won't play. Anyone have a working link?

Rick Edwardson
08-18-2014, 12:43 PM
I enjoyed watching this video a few months back. Went back to review today and it's marked "private" and won't play. Anyone have a working link?

Ditto on that. If anyone knows of a public version of the video ...

Peter Fabricius
08-18-2014, 5:39 PM
I hope there is a public version, it is "private" at the moment....
I bought a Michael Hosaluk Detail Gouge a little while ago, it is made by Doug BUT... I cannot make it work.
It has two long bevels and is very pointed. I start a cut and it immediately skates across the wood.
Does anyone have one and is there a trick to making it work?
thanks
Peter F.

Reed Gray
08-18-2014, 5:54 PM
Peter,
I tried to find an image of it, and couldn't. It could be my computer skills. Do you have one? There is the 'vortex' tool that Cindy Drozda uses, and it is pretty similar to Stuart Batty's vortex tool (maybe even the same one but don't know for sure). Like a detail gouge but long wings. I have one of Doug's fluteless gouges that I use that is ground kind of swept back. I don't cut with the point, but with the side, and roll it over gently till it starts to cut. Does that sound similar?

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
08-18-2014, 7:22 PM
It won't load for me.........I get a message that says Private video.........if the owner has given you permission to view it, log in. I don't think Doug makes his videos priviate............seems others could view it.............:confused: I have seen a couple of his video instructions before now.....not sure if this one is a new one or not?

Thom Sturgill
08-18-2014, 9:31 PM
If I recall, that video was a demo at a club meeting and might belong to the club.

Peter Fabricius
08-19-2014, 8:54 AM
Thanks Robo for looking...
I have the Detail Gouge here and I took a couple of pictures of the "pointy" end.
Maybe Doug will see this and help out?
thanks
Peter F.

Reed Gray
08-19-2014, 1:28 PM
Peter, thanks for the pictures. If that one is digging in and skating across the wood, most probable cause is not rubbing the bevel. It will do the same thing that a skew will if you come off the bevel. So, start the cut with the bevel rubbing (the bevel should rub the wood, but the wood should not know it unknown author) and cutting edge up off the wood. Move the handle till it starts to cut.

robo hippy

Peter Fabricius
08-19-2014, 1:58 PM
Thanks Robo,
I figured it was the bevel rubbing thing! But the tool tip is ground at 40 degree angle and the second bevel is at 25 degrees. The handle has to be very low for the bevel to get near the wood. Michael Hosaluk makes look so easy!

I too heard that it is not rubbing the bevel, because that will leave a mark (cannot remember the author), if you use the term " let the bevel follow the cutting edge" then it makes more sense to me.

I made the Cindy D Vortex tool and it is really great for fine details into tight coves...
My new D Way 1/2" bottom feeder is fantastic, I have ground the tip at a slightly more pointy angle so it feels better for many cuts besides just the bottoms of bowls.

My current challenge is the Detail Gouge, so I will keep trying to learn how to use it.
Peter F.

louis pittman
08-19-2014, 9:28 PM
[am log in but said video private what would be next

Rick Gibson
08-20-2014, 5:18 PM
the video was originally put on utube by Woodturners of Southwest Missouri. It's listed on their site but still marked as private. There is a download helper add on for firefox that will make a copy of utube video's on your computer. If you get that and use it it will do a couple things for you. Save trying to find a video 6 months or so when you want to watch it again and if you have a slow speed connection you will be able to watch it later without breaking up. And you get a good video like this one and it disappears you have a copy.

Peter Lamb
08-20-2014, 6:40 PM
I just spoke to Doug. The clip has to be edited by the Missouri club and hopefully will be reposted soon. The Missouri Club is also making a DVD which should be
available in the near future. Let's hope so.

Doug Thompson
08-20-2014, 9:17 PM
Hello, the video is going to be edited to shorten it a bit, we shot a video that took 20 minutes off the utube video and gives the same information. I read the comments and will say this I use what I like including Reed's platform. I believe people should enter into woodturning at the lowest possible cost so I don't recommend higher priced products, there is time to upgrade as the budget allows.
Take care,
Doug