PDA

View Full Version : Any idea how its done?

curtis rosche
02-26-2014, 9:24 PM
Saw this on facebook. Any idea how its done? or is this photoshopped?

Howard Garner
02-26-2014, 9:41 PM
One way.
Soak the end,clamp it tight and comrpess it. Run the screw in then relase the clamp and it should come back to its normal self.

That is how they get a wooden arrow through a hole in a glass jar.

Howard Garner

Sam Murdoch
02-26-2014, 9:55 PM
I could see breaking the end off- adding the screw -regluing along the break line and sanding to perfect joint invisibility - maybe :confused:.

Scott T Smith
02-26-2014, 9:59 PM
One way.
Soak the end,clamp it tight and comrpess it. Run the screw in then relase the clamp and it should come back to its normal self.

That is how they get a wooden arrow through a hole in a glass jar.

Howard Garner

Howard is correct; this is how it's usually done. It works best with soft woods such as SPF.

Myk Rian
02-26-2014, 10:27 PM
One way.
Yep. That's how I did it. Takes a while to soak it enough to make it soft. Boiling it helps.

Steve Friedman
02-26-2014, 10:38 PM
You need to watch more episodes of the Woodwright's Shop. Don't recall which episode, but recall watching it within the last year or so.

Steve

Pat Barry
02-27-2014, 8:09 AM
It takes a while to get the tree to grow around a screw like that. Then you need careful cutting. Might be useful to have an xray image before starting though. Amazing result. JK of course

Joe Tilson
02-27-2014, 9:27 AM
I thought I saw a glue line, maybe. Look at the right side and see what you think. I have heard of it being done that way too.

Bill Huber
02-27-2014, 9:43 AM
Here is Steve Ramsey ,Woodworking for Mere Mortals doing it with a nail on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEATei2wewY

Myk Rian
02-27-2014, 4:11 PM
I thought I saw a glue line, maybe. Look at the right side and see what you think. I have heard of it being done that way too.
It's real. No glue line.
You can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true.

Scott Shepherd
02-27-2014, 9:31 PM
You can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true.

Love that commercial!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_CgPsGY5Mw