PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder to always pay attention

Bill Hensley
02-26-2014, 7:07 PM
Or you'll get something like this - and no, this isn't a design feature!

As you can see, I was just finishing the bottom of this bowl and was taking the detail gouge away but looked away first. I felt it before I saw it and I was dumbstruck when I stopped the lathe. Naturally I scolded myself...and called myself names. I considered trying to take it out but didn't have the thickness to work with. I decided to suck it up so I dyed it and put some tung oil on it. I'll keep it around as a reminder.

I'll post a followup pic later.

Dennis Ford
02-26-2014, 8:29 PM
I (probably most of us) have done worse. Your idea to keep it around as a reminder may be the best use for this piece BUT; consider cutting along the spiral and continuing the cut in a spiral pattern (perhaps keep a tab every so often to maintain a little strength).

robert baccus
02-26-2014, 9:49 PM
Owwww--that hurts. That will teach you to show off by going so thin. I could (and do) just cut another inch or so off.

Dennis Nagle
02-26-2014, 10:00 PM
very nice spiral!!! if you could only figure out how to do that with purpose.

Tim Rinehart
02-27-2014, 1:21 PM
Bill, I'm tickled to see that's all that happened. I kinda shudder when I see post titles that sound like someone may have been hurt. So...glad you didn't get hurt, cuz you don't grow on trees, and well...the wood certainly does. :)

Paul Engle
02-27-2014, 5:43 PM
yikes, fill it with some sand or that stuff WC sells ..... can't think of the name of it ... turn it into a highlight/ ornamental area .

Bill Hensley
02-27-2014, 7:04 PM
Well I'm done with it. If you look at it just right it looks like an embellishment, sort of...

George Overpeck
02-28-2014, 1:39 PM
Looks great Bill - that's the kind of embellishment that your average person looks at and says "oh, nice perfect spiral", and your fellow turner looks at and says "I know what happened there". It probably raised the value and will be making turners chuckle for years to come.

Great colors in that one, what finish did you use? Did you use something different for the inside and outside or is that just the lighting?

Bill Hensley
02-28-2014, 6:00 PM
Thanks George. I guess I could point out the spiral as a design feature and sell it for a "special" price.

I used a brown, then orange dye on the outside and left it natural on the inside. I put on a couple coats of tung oil, buffed then Ren wax. I've never used the brown before and like it. Gives it a nice warm tone. May try a hollow form of the same wood and dye it with the brown.