PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV with a iPad

Peter Stahl
02-26-2014, 5:31 PM
I was thinking about getting a Apple TV thingy. My wife has a iPad air and I would like to know will the Apple TV play what ever is on her screen. I know you can stream Hulu, Netflix, etc. but can it play what is showing on her iPad at any time like her web browser? Is the Apple TV just Apple's version of a Roku box? Didn't want to spend $100 on something that will wind up just sitting there.

Trent Morgan
02-26-2014, 5:31 PM
Yes, you can mirror the iPads display on the Apple TV.

Peter Stahl
02-26-2014, 6:51 PM
thanks Trent.

Keith Outten
02-26-2014, 9:42 PM
Peter,

Not all iPads will send the display to your TV. I think you have to have an iPad 3 or better.

Peter Stahl
02-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Peter,

Not all iPads will send the display to your TV. I think you have to have an iPad 3 or better.

Thanks Kieth, just got my wife a iPad air for Christmas so it should work with that.

Matt Meiser
02-27-2014, 8:16 AM
When I was comparing Roku and Apple TV a year ago, the Roku had more service options including most importantly to me Amazon Prime. There's an iPhone/iPad app to control the Roku better than the regular remote and send photos, music, and video from the i* to the Roku, but it won't mirror your screen that I can find.

Peter Stahl
02-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Hooked up my Apple TV today, it was quick and easy. Instructions say it will work with a iPad 2 or better. It has lots of apps which most require a subscription for. It will also mirror anything you have on your iPad. Nice little gadget for $99. Also comes with a remote so you don't have to have a Apple PC or iPad to use it. If you like Apple stuff you will really like this. I'm more of a PC person but I'm using the iPad more and more. Thanks for all the replies.

David Masters
03-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Just read in the WSJ that Apple is giving people who buy an Apple TV between now and March 5th a $25 iTunes gift card. That generally means that a new one is about to be announced.

Peter Stahl
03-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I bought mine through Amazon so I may not get the iTunes gift card.