PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Saws-what kind?

Jack Wood
06-18-2005, 5:34 PM
I want to start making dovetail and other joints by hand and wanted some recomendations on a saw to do that with. I would spend up to $50 bucks if that helps with a selection, THANKS!

Richard Wolf
06-18-2005, 5:36 PM
Jack, the LN are great saw but over your budget. My next choice is a Japenesse style saw. The thin kerf and sharpe teeth make them easy to use.

Richard

Jack Wood
06-18-2005, 5:40 PM
Hi Richard, by LN you mean Lie-Nielsen? What's the cost of them. Wouldn't mind spending more if that would make the difference in the long run:rolleyes:

Richard Wolf
06-18-2005, 5:43 PM
Yes, I think they are about $125. But feel like they where made to fit your hand. Sometimes they are more money than we can justify.

Richard

lou sansone
06-18-2005, 6:56 PM
I cut all of my dovetails by hand and use japaneese saws. I have tried traditional push type back saws like the LN and find that I prefer the japaneese pull type.

lou

Alan Turner
06-18-2005, 7:53 PM
I rarely pay more than $30 for old Disstons, and with a file, they are as good as any, IMHO. But, you will need to learn to file a saw. But, that said, a rip saw is a lot easier to file. Just a thought.

Michael Gibbons
06-18-2005, 7:57 PM
Jack,I have Lie-Nielsen straight handled DT saws which cost $75 each . I have one regular and one they made special for me with a thicker blade. Both very nice.

Mike

Jim Becker
06-18-2005, 8:38 PM
I bought an Adria dovetail saw from Tools for Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-ADRIA.XX&Category_Code=TMQ) and have been quite pleased with it.

Dev Emch
06-18-2005, 9:14 PM
An old timer who is no longer with us that had a great influenence on me was Cecil Pierce. He wrote a book on dovetailing and also on making wooden hand planes called "Fifty Years a Planemaker and User". He was darn good at woodworking!

At any rate, before LN bought the dovetail saw design from Independence Tool who copied it from a design made in Shefield England, Cecil was making hand cut dovetails using of all things, A HACKSAW.

And you will find that a good hacksaw like the ones made by Greenlee or the yellow one made by Starette will do a good job and cost lots less than the LN/Independence dovetail saw.

One fellow in the hand planes section actually published on his website how to make his own home-made dovetail saws using metal files, etc. I was rather impressed. Go over there and do a search. Its yet another alternative.

Good Luck...

Keith Christopher
06-18-2005, 10:10 PM
I use a japanese dozuki. Better able ot align it when cutting on the pull stroke. and a VERY thin kerf.

Keith