PDA

View Full Version : Cool table out of a fruit press

keith micinski
02-26-2014, 5:05 PM
I had a client bring me this fruit press and want to make an end table out of it. It turned out pretty nice but one thing I didn't like was that there was a little bit of slop in the gears and it transferred into the table top having some rotational movement and a slight wobble. I asked the client if she wanted me to drill and tap a set screw in the collar to stop the movement but then it would have immobilized the top so she decided not to do that. I agreed with her. Its pretty cool that the mechanism still works even if you aren't going to do it that often. All in all I like the project and is something I probably would have never thought to do on my own. Now I kind of want one.

Sam Murdoch
02-26-2014, 5:22 PM
Yeah, makes a great piece. You need to use apple or pear wood, for the top though to continue the theme :).
I like it and the rough top was a good choice.

Andy Cree
02-26-2014, 5:26 PM
That is really cool! All of those neat, old daily gadgets like the press are slowly disappearing. Good way to keep it around!

Andy

william watts
02-26-2014, 6:51 PM
Mechanics in combination with wood I find very interesting, and that is a great looking combination. Makes you want to turn the crank. Very nice work and design.

nicholas mitchell
02-26-2014, 7:23 PM
Nice. Since it's "reclaimed" i hope you tripled your price ;)

keith micinski
02-26-2014, 8:51 PM
I was pretty happy with the project over all. I have never tried to leave a piece rough sawn and originally thought it would be pretty easy to do but it was surprisingly hard to make work and still kind of match up. The white oak had the nice graying that the customer wanted so that was what I went with.

Andrew Fleck
02-26-2014, 9:08 PM
That looks like a Enterprise press. I use one of those to stuff sausages. That's a neat idea with the table top.

keith micinski
02-26-2014, 9:13 PM
Well I'll be, I just assumed it was only a fruit press but it turns out it may have very well been a sausage press, never would have guessed that.

Justin Ludwig
02-26-2014, 9:37 PM
I love it's simplicity. Good job.

Andrew Fleck
02-26-2014, 9:59 PM
Well I'll be, I just assumed it was only a fruit press but it turns out it may have very well been a sausage press, never would have guessed that.

It could have been used for lard too. It's kind of a multipurpose press with different size plates you can use.

keith micinski
02-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Still good to know. This web site never lets me down for information. I liked this one so much I have actually been thinking I might try and find my own press to make one for me and now I know what to search for.

Andrew Fleck
02-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Still good to know. This web site never lets me down for information. I liked this one so much I have actually been thinking I might try and find my own press to make one for me and now I know what to search for.

I would try craigslist or real auctions. Ebay has ridiculous pricing on those.

keith micinski
02-26-2014, 10:21 PM
I don't know how much they are but when the client told me she got it for 80 bucks I thought that was a pretty good deal.