PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find odd size trailer hub.

Joe Hillmann
02-26-2014, 1:19 PM
Since google isn't showing up anything for me I figured I would ask here. I need to replace the bearings on a boat trailer I have. The problem is the bearings aren't a normal trailer bearing. The inner and outer bearings are combined into one unit that is brazed into the hub which is made of laminated square pieces of 1/4" thick steel. The spindle on the axle is 1inch in diameter and only 1 1/4 inches long. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find new bearings/hubs for this trailer?

Kev Williams
02-26-2014, 1:36 PM
I've been boating since the '70s, and we currently have 4 boats- In all that time (and much of it spent on boating forums) I've never heard or seen of such a bearing setup. Sounds home-made to me, and I'm thinking you'll save a lot of headache by just replacing the axle with a "regular" one.

I'd love to see some pics!

Joe Hillmann
02-26-2014, 1:44 PM
I've been boating since the '70s, and we currently have 4 boats- In all that time (and much of it spent on boating forums) I've never heard or seen of such a bearing setup. Sounds home-made to me, and I'm thinking you'll save a lot of headache by just replacing the axle with a "regular" one.

I'd love to see some pics!

I have a feeling that is what I may end up doing. I have a feeling that this set up may be more common in other countries. But since I don't know what to call it I can't find parts online nor at a nearby trailer supply shop.

Bob Rufener
02-26-2014, 2:51 PM
A friend of mine is in the trailer business. He has a fair amount of different hubs etc. He is located near Slinger, WI I don't know where Cameron is located but you might try them. They also make axles at a decent price and can ship The business is Snobird Trailers and his phone number is 262-644-6599

Perhaps they can help you out.

Biff Johnson
02-28-2014, 12:12 AM
How about a photo?