PDA

View Full Version : Looking for comment on a 13x21 shop

Peter Hartman
02-26-2014, 10:27 AM
I have been playing around with the layout of my shop with my current and future tools that I plan to acquire.

Here are some pictures and then I will make some comments:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82152483/Woodshop/1.JPG

Alright, Currently this is in a room in framed out, but unfinished basement. This is a semi temporary setup (5 years ?) There is a utility room at the back of the shop that I can probably use to store one tool on a mobile base and I may also be able to wheel out something else that is not used often into another area of the basement when I am handling larger items. Actual dimensions are 13'9"x21'8" and roughly 9' to the ceiling rafters. So tell me what you think of this layout.

Andrew Kertesz
02-26-2014, 10:35 AM
My first thought would be to investigate placing the DC in the utility room. It is directly behind the TS and it looks like you could set up one long run on the other wall to catch the rest of the dust generators. If you then dry walled it there would be a great noise reduction.

Jamie Buxton
02-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Put all the big objects on casters, so you can reconfigure the shop when you need to. For instance, as it is drawn, you can't feed anything into the planer.

Why the false wall on the left side of the floor plan? You're throwing away valuable space.

Consider reconfiguring the cyclone. Turn the filter so that it is horizontal, and up near the ceiling, probably above the door. That reduces the floor space eaten by the cyclone.

Me, I'd not include a mortising machine or a radial-arm saw. And I'd put the router table in the wing of the table saw.

Where are you going to work? You need a workbench!

Peter Hartman
02-26-2014, 11:08 AM
I thought about that, it would be feasible if I went with a portable dust collector, It needs to be able to be rolled out of the room when the water heater, hvac or pressure tank need service.

Peter Hartman
02-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Where are you going to work? You need a workbench!

I have been using my outfeed table as my bench.

Lee Reep
02-26-2014, 11:38 AM
I disagree with Jamie's comment on ditching the radial arm saw. It can be a really useful saw in a small shop due to versatility. I have a similarly sized shop, and if planned well, you can accommodate one. I bought mine in 1975 when they were popular and built like a tank. I've done plenty of cuts on it that are just about impossible on other saws. Later models are junk and so it is not surprising their popularity waned. That was my first saw and I did not get a table saw until about 10 years ago, specifically so I could have a dedicated saw for ripping, with dedicated ripping blade. I do have a CMS, but unless I'm making picture frames and want left and right 45 meters, I still prefer my RAS to my CMS. And I can put a dado blade in it for cross cutting dadoes or rabbets, something difficult or impossible to do on a table saw or router table on long boards.

OK, I'll step down from my soapbox now ...

Rick Potter
02-26-2014, 1:02 PM
Ditto the wheels. As it looks now, you cannot hardly use the jointer without pulling it out. My big suggestion would be to look hard at any space that can do double duty. A glaring example in your case is your outfeed table. Build in drawers, slide another tool under it, whatever. Right now it is taking up a lot of room that could be used. Personally, I would put it on wheels, and make it into a drawer cabinet.

+1 on keeping the RAS. I use mine for almost all crosscuts up to 16".

Rick Potter

EDIT: As an aside...that babe in pic 2 is getting a bit too thin in pic 3.

eugene thomas
02-26-2014, 1:18 PM
Have to agree on keeping ras. made doors for house and all dado for jams and grill for door made on it. But old iron one.

Peter Hartman
02-26-2014, 2:31 PM
Your right, anything longer than a couple feet will require the jointer to be pulled out.

Everything in the shop will be on wheels, except for maybe the dust collector. The outfeed table, radial arm saw, tablesaw and drum sander are all on wheels.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L73cqcUEzWE/Utm8RWGH5DI/AAAAAAAAWGs/SlYzO0jtTLI/w1040-h780-no/IMG_20140117_172630.jpg

Jim Foster
02-26-2014, 7:18 PM
I think it's going to feel a lot more crowded in there than it looks in the model you made. Also, if you ever decide you want a traditional bench, you'll get more squeezed for space. Some people do well in crowded space, some don't.

Garth Almgren
02-26-2014, 8:21 PM
Just curious, what software are you using for the layout and modeling?
Thanks!

Peter Hartman
02-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Just curious, what software are you using for the layout and modeling?
Thanks!

I am using Chief Architect X4.

I think it's going to feel a lot more crowded in there than it looks in the model you made. Also, if you ever decide you want a traditional bench, you'll get more squeezed for space. Some people do well in crowded space, some don't.

I was looking around last night and I think I may be able to fit a bench in front of the tablesaw along the wall. It would need to be height adjustable so I could level it to the table saw and it would need to be on wheels. Has any one built a bench like that?

Jointer In use:

Jointer not in use: