PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Gloves

Andrew Kertesz
02-26-2014, 8:13 AM
When applying finishes by hand what does everybody use for rubber gloves? The cheap ones from HF are not finish/solvent resistant and don't last more than a couple of minutes.

Brian Tymchak
02-26-2014, 8:40 AM
I've been using heavier nitrile gloves from HD, (not the disposable 100 per box nitriles). I bought these in a single pair package for $4-5. They stand up to finishes and solvents much better than the thin vinyl gloves that it sounds like you are using. The only downside is my hands sweat quite a bit in them.

Matt Meiser
02-26-2014, 8:40 AM
Blue nitrile from Harbor Freight. I've been using them more for stuff like oil and brake changes too and they hold up well. If the box gets old sometimes they'll start breaking down but of course the more I use them the less likely that is.

John Schweikert
02-26-2014, 8:42 AM
The medium or heavy duty nitrile gloves from HF work fine. No issues with common solvents I use. I wear these all the time for epoxy work, auto repairs, painting. Mineral spirits, lacquer thinner and acetone don't break down the gloves. The only thing I have seen disintegrate the gloves has been CRC throttle body cleaner.

By far some of the worst gloves are from HD. Their light blue nitrile gloves split and tear with no effort. Just all around crap.

Matt Day
02-26-2014, 8:54 AM
+1 for the medium nitrile gloves from HF or HD (what's HR?). I find I'm using these gloves for everything from around the house stuff, shop, car work, yard work, etc. I think I have about 7 or 8 pairs. HD had a 5 pack of orange ones for around $5 last time I was there.

James Cheever
02-26-2014, 9:43 AM
Another positive vote for the blue nitrile gloves from HD. They go on easily and still allow a good tactile feel. Iactually use the ones in the 100 pack and have not had an issue with splitting or failing.

Bob Falk
02-26-2014, 10:24 AM
I buy Nitrile gloves by the case (1000 gloves) off of Ebay....lasts me about 2 years and costs about $.06 per glove.

Andrew Kertesz
02-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks everybody. I'll try some of the blue Nitrile from HF since I have a 25% coupon.

Keith Hankins
02-26-2014, 12:47 PM
I use these from woodcraft and a box will last a long time. You want Nitrile so they don't melt on your hands :)

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020324/33721/6-Mil-X-Large-Powder-Free-Nitrile-Gloves.aspx

Pete Hotard
02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Sometimes being an RN has it's perks. Nitrile gloves are never something I'm short on. That and tongue depressors for spreading glue and running thickened epoxy fillets on the boat I'm building.

John Vernier
02-26-2014, 1:27 PM
Nitrile gloves are pretty readily available at pharmacies now. I can pick them up at the local Target, in the pharmacy section, cheaper than at the hardware store.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-26-2014, 1:33 PM
I hate tight fitting nitrile gloves, so I use the type that are made for chemical handling. Heavier material, reusable many times and easy to get off. Gemplers carries them.

http://www.gemplers.com/img/mil-nitrile-glove-11966.jpg

David G Baker
02-26-2014, 3:52 PM
Matt M I have been using the blue nitrile from Sam's Club for quite a few years. The only time I have had a problem with the gloves breaking down from age is when they are over exposed to the environment. I keep mine in a dark cupboard and they have held up for several years. They don't take much physical abuse but are great for working on my tractor etc. I use them for staining and painting. I haven't tried them with solvents.

Myk Rian
02-26-2014, 4:41 PM
The cheap ones from HF are not finish/solvent resistant and don't last more than a couple of minutes.
I use the better quality ones at HF.

Michael Mayo
02-26-2014, 6:41 PM
I have been using some 6 mil Nitrile gloves i found at the local carquest. They are very resistant to splitting ripping etc. They are tight on the hand and make my hands sweat like no tomorrow but they last a long time unlike the cheaper thinner nitrile gloves. They come in a 50 pair box for $20 if I remember which isn't cheap but I use them more than once. They are also black not blue or white which I think adds to the seat problem.