PDA

View Full Version : Tote tray is complete

steven c newman
02-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Almost done with that Tool Chest build. Had a lift out tray, aka Tote, to make. Installed the finished item in the Tool Chest, and it just filled right up283377one normal tray in back, the Tote in the middle, and a saw til down below. Trays are just pine. 283378Took two people to get this thing OFF my bench, and onto the floor. needed to use the bench to make the tote. Those lighter raised panels are Sycamore. Back is made the same, only I used pine for the back. Front and lid is Black Walnut283379Safely on the shop floor! Wigh almost as much as I do.....:D

steven c newman
02-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Tote started life as a very ugly plank of 1x10 Pine283400A Wards #78 ( Stanley clone) made a few rebates283401And on the ends of the tote's sides. The two pine scraps for the ends needed a stopped dado sawn and chiseled out283402I had to make sure they were matched, mirror like. This will be all that holds the handle to the tote. About 3/8" deep, by 3/4" wide, by 3" long ( not counting a couple over cuts)Sides of the tote were screwed and glued to the bottom. Ends were just screwed to the sides and bottom. Handle just sits in the dados. Used a 1-3/8" forstner bit to make the cutout for the finger-hole. Lacking the energy for a coping saw to cut out the handle, a 60s era, all metal B&D sabresaw did the work. Lacking the correct moldong planes, a corded router did the round overs.283403Installed one end, and marked out much much to cut off, height wise, and marked for exact length. Installed the second end. Had to chop a bit off the top of the handle, on one end, to fit IN the dado. 283404 Not too bad? Filled up fast with tools, after a test fit in the Tool Chest. The ony "mishap" was a 3/8" Forstner bit, for drilling the counter-bores, decided to try and trim a thumbnail. It did get the nail, but, no blood. Sorry. Now, I can set the tote up with just the tools needed for a job, take the tools to the job in it. Just one time to load from the chest, is all that will be needed, no going back and forth, bending over to get another tool out. Care to make one for your tools??

Judson Green
02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Looks like a fun project thanks for sharing.

Chris Griggs
02-26-2014, 11:59 AM
I dig the choice of F&P construction on the chest. Lookin' good.

Maurice Ungaro
02-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Looks stout and sturdy! I'll echo Chris and say that the F&P construction is a nice touch. I also like how the legs lift it up off of the floor. Not so much stooping over.

Stew Hagerty
02-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Great job. One more echo on the nice F&P construction. Not only less stooping with the legs, but the bottom is safe from any errant moisture. I really like the rugged, war-torn look of it. It has the look of a piece that has been used for a hundred years and, no doubt, will be used for another hundred at least.

steven c newman
02-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Afew more, less fuzzyI hope, photos283478Plank for the lid was FULL of knots, and a big crack283479Open the lid, and this is what one sees283480Lift this out, and set it on the bench283481to find more items below. Five saws in the til. One can set aside the sliding tray283482and find out which plane they want to grab. Not what one was needing? Ok, there is a ready rack nearby283483These are what didn't get invited to the chest. Close up everything back into the chest283484This is just about the entire shop, aka The Dungeon Shop. Might be a bit cramped....

steven c newman
03-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Photos seem to be a little less fuzzy. Can't stop the hands from shaking, I guess. will be looking into a tripod of sorts, maybe THAT will give a better view.