PDA

View Full Version : Excellent book for handplane newbies

Frederick Skelly
02-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Handplane Essentials, by Chris Schwartz.

Its a collection of blogs and articles, some of which Ive read free on the web, but most of which were new to me. I think Im at just the right point to benefit from his ideas - about 18 mos into the hand tool journey and using a mix of power and handplanes. I found his easygoing writing style pleasant and very readable. The book is well organizes and taught me a number of useful things.

I also got a copy of Spagnuolo's "Hybrid Woodworking" and I'll be reading it next. Ive been interested ever since someone posted on it a while back. I'll let you know what I think afterward.

Not that it matters here, but I find that I dont get as much out of video as I do well-illustrated books. Which is actually a shame - its certainly counter-intuitive - but its just not how I learn.

Take care.

Fred

Winton Applegate
02-26-2014, 10:23 PM
I too really get a lot out of GOOD text and photos.
As I always say, when a person sits down and takes the time to write a book, and a few people proof read it and all it is bound to be much better organized and thought out than a blog or a video.

I really enjoy Chris Schwartz and his books and DVDs
not to speak poorly of his work
but

Probably the best indo I ever read about hand planes are these two texts :
http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/souping-up-the-block-plane.aspx
and
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Woodworking-Tools-Tradition-Spirit/dp/0941936465/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393470449&sr=1-1&keywords=toshio+odate

Not newbie stuff but I don't know how a person starting out can get by with inexpensive planes and not fettle them like yeah.

PS: I was just gazing longingly, again, at the Ian Kirby DVD three disc set.
I want it to be better than it is.
I have learned a lot from Ian Kirby's books and magazine articles. He really has a lot to teach.
The review of the DVDs is discouraging though and the price of the set puts a nail in the coffin for me.
Can any body tell me how long the DVDs are in hours and minutes ? The Amazon info doesn't say.
I just discovered there is bonus material that is text on line. I supose that must be taken in to account when judging the price.

Anyway I look forward to your thoughts on the Hybrid Woodworking book.

Frederick Skelly
02-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Thanks Winton. Ill keep you posted on it!
Fred

Jim Matthews
02-27-2014, 7:13 AM
Not that it matters here, but I find that I dont get as much out of video as I do well-illustrated books. Which is actually a shame - its certainly counter-intuitive - but its just not how I learn.Fred

For me the sound of a properly set plane in action tells me much more than static pictures.
I struggled with work holding and fixtures until I saw some of the Big Dogs flailing away.

They had boards bouncing all over their benches, and got excellent results.

The best way to learn a mechanical skill is to have someone in the same room demonstrate, and stand over your shoulder while you give it a go.
Short of that, watching a video (preferably with sound - no banjo track, thanks) to show the speed and basic motions is better than stop and pop shots.

None of the books I've read on the subject even mention the sound a plane should make as it cuts properly.

Daniel Rode
02-27-2014, 8:57 AM
I agree with Jim. I've read a few books and many articles and many more forum posts related to woodworking with hand tools. I've learned a lot from text and pictures but the videos have had the greatest impact for me. I've been able to see and hear people as they use a saw, plane or chisel. When I go to do it myself, I have more points of reference.

That said, sometimes real life is not like the videos. Last night, for practice, I took a piece of cherry and squared, flattened and smoothed all 6 sides. Then, I attempted to create a bull-nose profile on 3 edges using the plane. I'd watched Paul Sellers do this a few days ago. Although it seemed very simple, I've never done it before.

The ends didn't go as smoothly as Paul's video. Lots of squeaking when I got beyond 45 degrees. If I were in the room with Paul or someone else, they probably could have given me 20 seconds of feedback and I'd be making better bull-nose already.

steven c newman
02-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Come on down to Bellefontaine some day. You can hear how a plane sounds quite well. Been raising a few panels, in sycamore ( easy) Black Walnut ( not quite as easy) and Pine ( not as easy as Walnut) for the F&P sides of a Tool Chest. Paul Sellers clamped his panel up in a vise. That is ok for short ones, but when they get to be over two feet long, better that i lay them flat. Ever hear how a #78 rebate plane sounds? Had a few to make reabtes, some as wide as 3/4", sound is great, even across the grain.

Might be a bit cramped down here, though283488There is a jig on the bench, just some particle board with a pair of cleats. Lower cleat holds onto the edge of the bench, upper cleat stops a board from sliding around too much. Have added other cleats as needed283490to keep narrow stuff in place. I never smoothed the Particle board, I like it to be a bit rough so things will tend to stay put.

Jim Matthews
02-28-2014, 8:46 AM
I'm a big fan of this kind of workholding.

It's effective, and doesn't eat up your budget for lumber.
It's the results what count...

Your results are admirable.
Kudos