PDA

View Full Version : What is this in my bandsaw (probably an Eric Loza question)?

johnny means
02-25-2014, 7:09 PM

It's a metal tube about 1/2 in diameter and welded in place.

Rich Riddle
02-25-2014, 7:13 PM
See if Dave Kumm will respond. He knows quite a bit about band saws.

Judson Green
02-25-2014, 7:23 PM
Is that a saw dust blower?

Where does is go?

johnny means
02-25-2014, 7:50 PM
I probably should have mentioned that the saw is a 24" Centauro (Minimax, SCMI clone).

John Coloccia
02-25-2014, 7:56 PM
It almost looks like something they stuck in there as a vent for a casting.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-25-2014, 8:30 PM
Is it conduit for a door switch maybe?

Erik Loza
02-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Is it conduit for a door switch maybe?

That, or a pass-through for the tension gauge cable.

Weird: I have not see this on a Centauro before. Where does the other end of it open up?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Lee Schierer
02-26-2014, 7:33 AM
It almost looks like something they stuck in there as a vent for a casting.

I agree that it is something left over from the casting process, that perhaps shouldn't have been there, but wasn't a flaw that was considered to be detrimental to the integrity of the casting.

David Kumm
02-26-2014, 8:22 AM
That's a tube welded into the steel isn't it? All steel saw, only the wheels are cast iron. One end is closed? Dave

Erik Loza
02-26-2014, 12:32 PM
The more I look at those photos, the wierder it looks. Almost like an aftermarket mod except that it's painted the same color as the chassis. Also, not sure what that cutout on the lower lip of the cabinet is all about. Puzzling indeed.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Loren Woirhaye
02-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Wild speculation it could be a lubrication tube for the tension screw.

It could be the same wheel enclosures were used for metal saws that had additional features, an oil mister for example.

Have you tried blowing air is the tube or something to see if it goes somewhere?

Jim German
02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
The more I look at those photos, the wierder it looks. Almost like an aftermarket mod except that it's painted the same color as the chassis. Also, not sure what that cutout on the lower lip of the cabinet is all about. Puzzling indeed.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

They look like they would line up too, some sort of aftermarket mod that was painted to match?

Matt Sollars
02-26-2014, 1:46 PM
Maybe cast in....or welded on intentionally as a 'hanger' for the painting/coating process.......just a guess.

Erik Loza
02-26-2014, 2:11 PM
Maybe cast in....or welded on intentionally as a 'hanger' for the painting/coating process.......just a guess.

Good thought but I don't believe so. Typically, they put a couple of cutouts in the roof of the upper cabinet in order to hang the chassis for painting.

They look like they would line up too, some sort of aftermarket mod that was painted to match?

This is what I am thinking as well. Possibly an air blower? Really just not sure. I sold a BS once to a gentleman who cut soapstone and who described to me this water sprayer he would add to his machines. Maybe something like that.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

John Coloccia
02-26-2014, 2:35 PM
So Johnny, where does the tube go? How about a picture of the back of the saw?

Peter Kelly
02-26-2014, 3:02 PM
Things were slow down at Centauro that day so it's likely a conversation piece welded on by a bored employee.

Erik Loza
02-26-2014, 3:42 PM
Things were slow down at Centauro that day so it's likely a conversation piece welded on by a bored employee.

Hahahaha....

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

johnny means
02-26-2014, 5:30 PM
Alright, think I figured it out. The tube simply runs along the panel and pops out into the spine, where it ends. Judging by the notch in the door frame, I think its simply a conduit to run wire for a light. It's just enough to get you through the closed off section of the frame.

Erik Loza
02-27-2014, 7:10 AM
...I think its simply a conduit to run wire for a light...

That makes sense. If I were to guess, it is possible that the dealer who originally sold this machine possibly performed the mod there in their facility as an add-on feature. That's the only explanation for having painted the same color. LOL, doubtful the end-user shop would have painted it.

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA