PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Samsung Tablet

Liesl Dexheimer
02-25-2014, 3:09 PM
Does anyone know if you can laser engrave the back of a Samsung tablet (like the Galaxy or Note)? The back is plastic but I'm guessing there won't be much contrast...has anyone done this before?

vic casware
02-25-2014, 4:09 PM
283298283299Your right not much contrast, just the usual white on silver but still worth it
I have a pic but i need to make it smaller before posting

Joe Pelonio
02-25-2014, 8:18 PM
I don't do electronics any more, just removable cases. While it's not going to hurt the insides, I'd get blamed if it stops working a week or two later. That, and every time you do a new brand/model the settings may vary, and you can't show samples of what it looks like unless you have done the exact same one before. Once engraved, if they don't like it, you can't un-engrave it.

Kev Williams
02-25-2014, 10:47 PM
"While it's not going to hurt the insides, [don't blame me] if it stops working a week or two later. That, and every time you do a new brand/model the settings may vary, and [I] can't show samples of what it looks like [because I haven't] done the exact same one before. Once engraved, if [you] don't like it, [I] can't un-engrave it"

Pretty much what I tell anyone with something weird they want engraved before I engrave it. Most times I get lucky, and nobody's ever gotten mad when I didn't... :)

Liesl Dexheimer
02-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Vic, is that a metal backing or plastic? It looks like aluminum to me. This customer says her backing is plastic that's why I'm a little concerned about engraving it.

Sean Coyne
02-26-2014, 1:08 PM
Not the best etch. Ive engraved a few Samsung devices including different versions of the Galaxy tabs. They all had a white plastic backing that etched an inconsistent orange. I was never able to get a good etch out of them.

vic casware
02-26-2014, 4:07 PM
It is definitely Aluminum on mine. It is a 1 year old Tab2 10.1 and my name on the first pic
i used the wrong font and settings (should have checked twice and ran once)

Liesl Dexheimer
02-26-2014, 4:13 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. I think I may advise the customer against this, seems to risky. I've engraved a couple iPods before but at least they have aluminum on the back, I'm definitely more leary of plastic.

Tim Bateson
05-28-2014, 9:30 PM
So is the Galaxy Tab3 plastic backing engravable or not?

Clark Pace
05-29-2014, 1:08 AM
I agree. I don't like doing phone only cases. I am stocking cases now for just that reason. I don't want to get blamed. Also explain to your customer that if they wan't to trade it in or sell it in the future, the person you are selling it to, may not be keen on that engrave that you thought was way cool, but may not be to the next user.

Mary Geitz
06-01-2014, 1:36 PM
I've always wanted to try engraving either my Macbook or my iphone. I just went through a huge fiasco with my iphone. Luckily, I purchased a warranty through Square Trade. I had to go to the Apple store and trade in my old phone for a new re-manufactured (NOT refurbished according to Apple) iphone. I asked both Square Trade and Apple if engraving the phone or my laptop would cancel my warranty, and apparently it does. My kids have been asking me to engrave their gadgets and their friend's as well. If I were to get into that business, I would have the customer sign an informed consent about the warranty.

David Somers
06-01-2014, 2:27 PM
Mary,

I wonder how Apple is squaring this with the fact that when you buy your iPhone or iPad you can pay them to engrave it for you? I love warrantees. <grin>

Dave

Mary Geitz
06-01-2014, 2:42 PM
Dave, I think I need to ask that question. :D I'll bet ya anything that those would be the phones they would use for parts if returned; meaning the ones they engrave.

Gary Hair
06-01-2014, 3:18 PM
I asked both Square Trade and Apple if engraving the phone or my laptop would cancel my warranty, and apparently it does.

I would ask them to show you the part of their warranty that specifically voids the warranty for engraving, especially since they engrave them! I think you'll get a different answer when you ask them to provide you with that info.

brian saban
06-01-2014, 9:01 PM
I've done both aluminum and plastic, The only difference is the plastic needs to be color filled. But both come out very nice

Tim Bateson
06-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks Brian. That is just what I told the customer last week.