PDA

View Full Version : New Czech tools!

Maurice Ungaro
02-25-2014, 1:57 PM
Just got my new Super Kadet marking knife, along with carbide Birdcage Awl. All I can saw is "wow". They are a delight to use. The marking knife goes to hand wonderfully, and the super sharp carbide blade is nearly surgical. Don't know how Bob sharpens carbide like that, but I'm glad he does! The carbide awl is a monster. This thing will power a hole in just about anything (non-ferrous...and maybe ferrous too...). If you've been in the hunt for such items, I highly recommend them, as well as Bob.

Chris Griggs
02-25-2014, 2:16 PM
Ahem....no pics, didn't happen.

Maurice Ungaro
02-25-2014, 3:44 PM
Ah...jeez. Well, I'm at work, so you'll just have to be patient.

Maurice Ungaro
02-26-2014, 8:01 AM
OK, sorry for the wait. I previously had purchased a Pattern Pilot and a regular scratch Awl from Bob. Both were executed in great fashion, and are a dream to use. Recently, I felt compelled to pick up on his new carbide offerings: a Super Kerf Kadet and a Birdcage Awl. So, to make good on the gloat, here are the pics.

You can see how the shape differs slightly between the two knives. The Super Kadet has a nice indent in the brass ferule that lets the index finger rest there for comfort and precision.

Although a bit fuzzy, there is quite a bit of difference in blade thickness too.

The heft of the Birdcage Awl is really enhanced by the carbide. This sucker weighs about three times what the scratch awl does!
As an added bonus, the cocobolo on my new acquisitions is totally different from my two previous ones. Makes differentiation easy when they are in the rack.

Chris Griggs
02-26-2014, 8:29 AM
Much better. I dig those awls in particular!

Mike Holbrook
02-26-2014, 1:10 PM
Nice Maurice. I recently bought a Bird Cage Awl and Pattern Pilot marking knife from Bob. Great tools! Thanks for posting pictures so I don't have to. So now they are available in carbide, nice. I believe Bob suggests using EZE-LAP diamond hones, the ones on a small plastic handle to sharpen his tools. At least I think that is why I added one to my order. I would think diamonds would be about the only thing that would cut the carbide.